Homebrew Updating from 11.6.0 to 11.8 today....is it safe?

Garcia111907o

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, if this has already been asked....sorry. TL;DR I am blowing the dust of my 3DSXL and trying to get caught up with the HB scene. Is it safe to update from 11.6 to 11.8. By 'safe', take a look below.

About a year ago when I first installed CFW using the NTR boot method, I installed a ton'o'stuff on it and had a blast. About 6-7 months ago, life got in the way and I put it down for the last time. I came across it today and decided to jump online and play some UltraSun. The first thing I noticed when I fired it up was a prompt to update the FW. My heart sank. Naturally, US didn't allow me to get online. I jumped on to YT and headed straight here. Here's what I know so far:
  • 11.8 backported the Switch's application auth. to 3DS. - FreeShop is down. :sad: It was a nice ride.
  • Online services don't work unless I update to current FW version.
  • Aside from FreeShop, All of the HB applications installed currently, seem to work fine.
Given the update and my absence from the scene for a while, I have a few questions:
  • I used an R4 +3ds/Ds using NTR to hack the 3DS. Will updating cause any issues there? (From what I know of the NTR boot method, it's a hardware exploit and can't be 'patched'. I think I'm good there)
  • Will updating cause any issues with HB applications? (Luma3ds, GodeMode9, FBI, NTR CFW Selector, Anemone, etc.)
  • Will applications D/L from FreeShop still work?
  • Will applications D/L from FreeShop cause my console to be banned?
  • Is there anything I'm missing?
I sincerely appreciate any help here. :yay3ds:

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to be using the latest version of Luma3DS (9.1) for 11.8 to work. Freeshop is dead no matter what you do, but previously installed games and homebrew will work just fine.

To install new games, use CIA files.

Garcia111907o

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to be using the latest version of Luma3DS (9.1) for 11.8 to work. Freeshop is dead no matter what you do, but previously installed games and homebrew will work just fine.

To install new games, use CIA files.

Thanks. Should I update Luma before I update the DS?

Traace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, but the order doesn't matter too much. You won't be able to boot 11.8 without updating Luma3DS.

A friend updated to 11.8 without updating Luma CFW before. Now he gets a system crash message right after start. Is it fixable?

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's been a while since I played with the 3ds, I've modded my Vita, put an internal vga mod on my Dreamcast and also modded a 56k usb adapter for my Dreamcast to play online again.
Anywho, I still have A9lh installed on both my 3ds's. I assume it's still preferable to have that other thingy installed instead of A9lh?

Last edited by koffieleut, , Reason: Typos

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
It's been a while since I played with the 3ds, I've modded my Vita, put an internal vga mod on my Dreamcast and also modded a 56k usb adapter for my Dreamcast to play online again.
Anywho, I still have A9lh installed on both my 3ds's. I assume it's still preferable to have that other thingy installed instead of A9lh?
Yup, it's better to have B9S because that's what devs use now. It's also a more advanced exploit.

Follow this guide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment