Homebrew Updating firmware on EmuNand to play 3DS games

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,
I recently installed EmuNand and ReiNand CFW on my N3DS. The very first game .cia I have installed is Super Smash Bros (with the 1.1.3 update). This game however hangs on the loading screen when it is selected on the home menu of EmuNand (on the Nintendo 3DS red and black screen). After some reading online, I believe this might be due to me being on firmware 9.2 in both my SYSNand and EMUNand. I'm wondering how to properly update the firmware on my EmuNand without updating my SysNand so I don't lose access to my CFW. Do I do it through the system itself while on EmuNand? or is there another, proper way? Also I have not unlinked SysNand and EmuNand yet.

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I recently installed EmuNand and ReiNand CFW on my N3DS. The very first game .cia I have installed is Super Smash Bros (with the 1.1.3 update). This game however hangs on the loading screen when it is selected on the home menu of EmuNand (on the Nintendo 3DS red and black screen). After some reading online, I believe this might be due to me being on firmware 9.2 in both my SYSNand and EMUNand. I'm wondering how to properly update the firmware on my EmuNand without updating my SysNand so I don't lose access to my CFW. Do I do it through the system itself while on EmuNand? or is there another, proper way? Also I have not unlinked SysNand and EmuNand yet.

Unlink your nands. There is no reason not to.

Once you've done that, you can upgrade emunand by booting into emunand and updating through system settings. But please, to save yourself from trouble in the long run, just unlink your nands.

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To Unlink (LISTEN CAREFULLY), Use tiny format as using system settings format messes with your nnid and causes you to get 022-6364 error code,Use tiny format in sysnand press a button and there it formats,it takes half a second to format actually
Edit:Advantage of using tiny format is that your sd card doesn't get formated

Last edited by James310,

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for your help, there are two things -
First, my EmuNand no longer says (Rei) before the system firmware version in System Settings (This is because I recently transferred my EmuNand and all SD Card files onto a larger SD Card, apparently the word "Rei" going away is normal in this situation). However, when I boot into ReiNand, I can still access HBL and FBI Installer, which I cannot do when I do not boot ReiNand. I assume this means I can safely assume I am in EmuNand despite the word "Rei" not being there...am I right?

Also, thank you for the update advice, where can I find Tiny Installer? Is it okay to update to the new 1.0.5U? I heard this firmware has different encryption methods or something...

Last edited by vgplayer54,

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Or should I delete and reinstall Emunand to make 100% certain I'm on emunand by restoring the name Rei in system settings?

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Or should I delete and reinstall Emunand to make 100% certain I'm on emunand by restoring the name Rei in system settings?
You don't need to.
You can put different themes on emunand/sysnand to be sure where you are, if they're unlinked, of course

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for the quick reply, I will use the tiny installer tonight and format emunand, and then update it in system settings to 1.0.5. Hopefully this is okay to do, thank you.

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, it didn't seem to work. I installed Tiny Format and booted into ReiNand and launched it. I chose to continue format and it did the job in half a second. After that, I re-set up the system and used Browserhax to get back into ReiNand. I then changed the theme, installed HBL and FBI installer and reinstalled MenuHax. I noticed however that all changes were also shown in SysNand. I change the theme in SysNand, it defaults back to no theme in Emunand. If I change it in EmuNand, the exact same theme is shown in SysNand. I believe they are not unlinked.... Did I do something wrong?

Also, for some reason, after installing any cia, it seems that MenuHax is gone and I constantly have to reinstall it.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, it didn't seem to work. I installed Tiny Format and booted into ReiNand and launched it. I chose to continue format and it did the job in half a second. After that, I re-set up the system and used Browserhax to get back into ReiNand. I then changed the theme, installed HBL and FBI installer and reinstalled MenuHax. I noticed however that all changes were also shown in SysNand. I change the theme in SysNand, it defaults back to no theme in Emunand. If I change it in EmuNand, the exact same theme is shown in SysNand. I believe they are not unlinked.... Did I do something wrong?

Also, for some reason, after installing any cia, it seems that MenuHax is gone and I constantly have to reinstall it.
I think menuhax is uninstalled when you have linked sys/emu and you change the theme on any of them.

Do you have any NNID on your sysnand and emunand?

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I currently have two NNID folders although the second only appeared after I reinstalled EmuNand on the new SD card. The two NANDs have not been unlinked. This means one of my NNID folders is not being used... Although I don't know which one

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I have never tried before, but I think you can copy/paste one of them on your computer and delete it from the SD, to see if there are any changes when you turn on your 3ds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night