Hacking Question Updating Firmware from <3.0 to 6.2

alucard971

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question about updating firmware from lower firmware to higher.

1. If I make a clean NAND backup and I use ChoidujourNX to update to 6.2 without burning efuses, will I be able to return back to the lower firmware seamlessly? Would Ninty be able to see that I was on higher firmware at one point and reverted back?

2. If I update from the lower firmware, I understand I am going to lose control of my GC Reader if I want access to GC exploits on lower firmware. Is there a way to place all the games I have currently bought on my system before I update so I would be able to use them still?

3. I had my Nintendo profile linked to the switch prior to doing the NAND update. Would it be better to remove it before making a NAND backup or leave it as is? I understand 6.0.0 links our profile permanently to our switch. Will that affect downgrading?

4. Do I have to use CFW to update? I want to update to the latest firmware completely legit and play online, but still be able to use the Switch for emulation and homebrew down the road later.

5. Should I just wait for a "perfect" emunand release?

Any other lower firmware advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your support!

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
1- Yes and also no on Nintendo unless you go on ofw? If you do and go off airplane mode yes they will see you updated so if you downgrade back to 3.0 ofw go back online there will be a flag on their end for mismatched versions....whether that is flagged for banning is unknown.

2 - yes I believe going from < 4.0 will burn the GC fuse. This just means if you downgrade you won't be able to play < 4.0 cart games using that cart. You can dump the cart and then install via 4nxci however in a cfw and those nsps will work in lower firmware versions if you've selected ignore fw versions when installing. But you can't do this if you've downgraded with burnt GC fuses as it may not read < 4.0 carts...so dump the all now in your current cfw setup or higher fw.

3 - I would unlink if you were planning on using that profile again when you downgrade. Use a different profile for 6.2? But unsure as to how ninty monitors this and whether it's ban material.

4 - yes if you want to preserve fuses for later downgrade. I honestly gave up on that...I had a 1.0 but why care? A bootloader exploit is one of the best we can get. I'm very happy with trinket installs they work nicely and seamlessly ....there could be a future software exploit but hardware is preferred and that's what we have already. I don't see any reason to preserve lower firmwares I will never downgrade.

5- the new sd emunand seems ok? I believe it covers most of the caveats for detection and is probably "good enough" to prevent bans assuming you control your environment correctly and don't boot into ofw with your modded sd inserted.

Last edited by iriez,
Reactions: alucard971

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol