Hacking Updating emuNAND via ROM File

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'll be setting up a N3DS with GW for a buddy tonight, but his emuNAND will be on 9.0 and Xenoblade requires 9.x. I want to be sure I have the process right so I don't accidentally update his sysNAND. I found this over on MaxConsole's forum, but looks like the OP removed his procedure due to issues users had. Is this verified to work on emuNAND still for 9.4/9.5 updates?

Maxconsole said:
This trick will be useful if you bought/buy a gateway after Nintendo 9.x update, as you can't update anymore through Internet.

And anyway, this trick should be safer as you can't launch roms in the System Nand, and so can't upgrade it accidentally.

1) Choose a rom with the firmware you need (check here : http://3ds.essh.co/). If you want 8.1, for example, you can use "Smash Bros" rom.

2) Get the chosen rom with the same region as your 3DS (japanese 3DS = japanese rom ; american 3DS = american rom) ; european 3DS = european rom, etc...). In my example, I have a Japanese 3DS so I take the japanese "Smash Bros" rom and then put it on my Micro SD Card.

3) Before clicking on "Nintendo DS Profile" to launch the emunand, press and hold "up" on the D-PAD and keep holding it until the emunand is loaded (No need to hold "L" if you already installed/formated the emunand. The "L" button is just here to trigger the Gateway GUI if you need it).

4) Be sure to desactive the Wi-Fi with the switch on the right side of your 3DS, better be safe than sorry. Then, use the "Select" button to choose and launch the rom. Try to start the game and it'll prompt you for a firmware update. Accept it.

5) Once the update is over, it'll bring you back to the System Nand, which will still be in 4.x (in my example : 4.5.0.7-J). Launch the emunand again (this first boot after the update will be longer, as it need to configure some things, like the Miiverse for example), and check in the settings, you should be in GW3D 8.1.x.x (in my example : GW3D 8.1.0-7J)

Also, whats the name of the tool can I use to verify the update version in a ROM before I push it to his N3DS?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crappy tiny reader. Yes the game comes with 9.4 but it works fine on 9.0 with gateway's firmware spoofing.

Thanks! If I wanted to update his emuNAND for theme switching, will that process still work? From what I'm reading around the web it seems that's the way to do it, just looking for other forum-goers that have done it and if they encountered any issues.

pbsk8

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Where is the nintendo ds profile on the new 3ds LL? Inside Settings?

I cant find it. I didnt understand step 3.

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because it's for the old 3ds, just use oot or cn instead for the n3ds.
And be sure you did a format emunand first.

pbsk8

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Could you be more clear?

Yes I already did format emunand before using the gateway for the first time.

What is the point of zelda oot or cubic ninja you are saying?

I want update the emunand to 9.4, not start the gateway mode (which I do using sky3ds+cubic ninja already)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey