updating cIOS38r17

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Faria1st, Mar 23, 2011.

Mar 23, 2011

updating cIOS38r17 by Faria1st at 12:41 PM (1,899 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

  1. Faria1st
    OP

    Newcomer Faria1st Newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Country:
    United States
    Hello all,

    This is a great site. I've been referring to it (using various "how to") threads to mod my Wii. Per my signature, I've been pretty successful, but I do have 3 questions about waninkoko's cIOS.

    1) I have cIOS38rev17. If I wanted to install the latest version, should I remove my current version first?
    2) If I did install the newest version, would I have to rerun my apps that used IOS249?
    3) Should I even update wanikoko's cIOS? Everything that used IOS249 has been very stable so far.
     
  2. Faria1st
    OP

    Newcomer Faria1st Newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Country:
    United States
    I meant to post this under noob-paradise. Sorry about that.
     
  3. zizer

    Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2010
    Messages:
    2,035
    Country:
  4. DeadlyFoez

    Member DeadlyFoez Banned

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    Messages:
    5,223
    Country:
    United States
    Just use ModMii. It does help to have the cIOS's updated, and ModMii can get them for you. It's a wonderful app that can even theme your system menu for you.
     
  5. Lacius

    Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Messages:
    3,911
    Location:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Country:
    United States
    Yes. As time goes on, more games are unable to work using IOS38 as a base, which rev17 uses. If you are using a USB Loader, 249d2x56 has faster loading times than cIOS38rev17. 249d2x56 also has ~99% compatibility (the remaining ~1% can be used with 250d2x57 or a Hermes' IOS alternative).

    As it has already been mentioned, you should use ModMii to install 249d2x56 and 250d2x57.
     
  6. Faria1st
    OP

    Newcomer Faria1st Newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Country:
    United States
    Thanks everyone. modmii works wonderfully. I updated wanikoko and went ahead and installed hermes 5. Thanks again!
     
  7. Taleweaver

    Member Taleweaver Storywriter

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2009
    Messages:
    5,121
    Location:
    Belgium
    Country:
    Belgium
    Not per definition. The newer versions can be installed into other slots. As a matter of fact, I still have rev17 in 249, and a whole other bunch in slots 244 to 248. It just needs a bit more work to set your loader to load all games with the correct cIOS, but not that much.
     
  8. Lacius

    Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Messages:
    3,911
    Location:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Country:
    United States
    249d2x56 means it is installing to slot 249.
     
  9. Taleweaver

    Member Taleweaver Storywriter

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2009
    Messages:
    5,121
    Location:
    Belgium
    Country:
    Belgium
    Indeed. Sorry. I was thinking of Waninkoko's latest revisions (rev21).

    The d2x versions are indeed the latest. You can change the used slot on those as well, but you'll have to edit them in showmiiwads before you install them (just make sure to pick a number above 200 to be sure not to overwrite something crucial).
     
  10. XFlak

    Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Messages:
    9,122
    Location:
    Ontario
    Country:
    Canada
    or instead of using 2 programs, just use ModMii's advanced downloads to change the slot number and or version #
     

Share This Page