Hacking updated to 8.0 switch stuck in rcm mode

Fredfrog6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated to 8.0 not realizing it would kill my cfw. My switch now can't even boot properly since I had autorcm mode on and I can't boot through to regular firmware. Is there a way for me to make it go into regular firmware at the very least, since it doesn't look like I can make cfw work on this update right now.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a copy of your 7.0.1 boot0/boot1 and your nand backup restore those with Hekate, if not just wait for 8.0.0 supports, no ETA.

Fredfrog6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a copy of your 7.0.1 boot0/boot1 and your nand backup restore those with Hekate, if not just wait for 8.0.0 supports, no ETA.
I do have a NAND backup but if I restore that I will lose all of my save data on my switch since that was made right? I'm not sure how to restore with hekate anyway.

JBMario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I do have a NAND backup but if I restore that I will lose all of my save data on my switch since that was made right?
Correct. That’s why you should backup your saves from time to time with Checkpoint or EdiZon.

I'm not sure how to restore with hekate anyway.
Inject the Hekate payload. Select Tools > Restore, choose "Restore eMMC BOOT0/1". Then select "Restore eMMC Raw GPP". Done.

Last edited by JBMario,
Reactions: Hayato213

Fredfrog6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. That’s why you should backup your saves from time to time with Checkpoint or EdiZon.

Inject the Hekate payload. Select Tools > Restore, choose "Restore eMMC BOOT0/1". Then select "Restore eMMC Raw GPP". Done.
Whenever try to inject the payload it gives me a message saying [NXBOOT] Unable to identify package1!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I do have a NAND backup but if I restore that I will lose all of my save data on my switch since that was made right? I'm not sure how to restore with hekate anyway.
Not if you restore only eMMC SYS. If you don't have an eMMC SYS backup, there might be a way to extract it from the rawnand.
eMMC USER is the one that contains games and save data.
I updated to 8.0 not realizing it would kill my cfw. My switch now can't even boot properly since I had autorcm mode on and I can't boot through to regular firmware. Is there a way for me to make it go into regular firmware at the very least, since it doesn't look like I can make cfw work on this update right now.
Well, you could uninstall AutoRCM.

Fredfrog6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not if you restore only eMMC SYS. If you don't have an eMMC SYS backup, there might be a way to extract it from the rawnand.
eMMC USER is the one that contains games and save data.

Well, you could uninstall AutoRCM.
I would happily uninstall Autorcm but I don't know how to. I don't think I have an eMMC SYS in the backup folder, only BOOT1, BOOT0, and rawnand.bin

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
My friends son updated his. I booted Hekate and from tools disabled AutoRCM so it boots into stock 8.0.

I then did the long process of downgrading to 6.1.0 then upgrading to 7.1.0 again. It's scary.

Fredfrog6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you install it in the first place?
BriccMii (RCM payload) can install/uninstall:
I can't quite remember exactly what I used to install it, but I think it was ReiNX. I tried to use briccmii but it still boots into rcm.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My friends son updated his. I booted Hekate and from tools disabled AutoRCM so it boots into stock 8.0.

I then did the long process of downgrading to 6.1.0 then upgrading to 7.1.0 again. It's scary.
I managed to get out of rcm mode and got it to boot regularly, how did you downgrade the the update?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I can't quite remember exactly what I used to install it, but I think it was ReiNX. I tried to use briccmii but it still boots into rcm.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I managed to get out of rcm mode and got it to boot regularly, how did you downgrade the the update?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/
Here is the downgrade guide. Follow the part that does a full reinstall. If you're careful to flash everything except the user partition, you should be able to keep your saves and games.

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
Just an FYI i get loads of errors and rebooting after downgrade so had to wipe data on my friends sons but at least he has his CFW back.

Fredfrog6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

shchmue

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
downgrade was a bad suggestion. it sounds like you just had an autoboot profile with Hekate and needed to hold Vol Down during boot to get to the menu instead to disable AutoRCM (or use briccmii as suggested above).

if you must downgrade, use this guide instead https://guide.sdsetup.com/usingcfw/manualchoiupgrade but i would suggest waiting. SciresM said he'd push the last fix for 8.0.0 CFW later today :)

Fredfrog6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
downgrade was a bad suggestion. it sounds like you just had an autoboot profile with Hekate and needed to hold Vol Down during boot to get to the menu instead to disable AutoRCM (or use briccmii as suggested above).

if you must downgrade, use this guide instead https://guide.sdsetup.com/usingcfw/manualchoiupgrade but i would suggest waiting. SciresM said he'd push the last fix for 8.0.0 CFW later today :)
So there will be a cfw fix for 8.0.0 coming in the near future?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies