Updated to 7.1.0-16U; Where do I go from here?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Mega Snorlax, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Mega Snorlax
    OP

Mega Snorlax Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2014
    United States
    Hey guys, I'm new to GBAtemp and I was wondering if anyone could offer some information regarding what I should do since updating my 3ds. I just want to know if it's possible that in a year, there are flash carts (That run 3ds game backups) supporting this firmware and if there won't be, why? If it's not even a possibility then I will get a replacement 3ds but if it's a possibility then I will probably wait until the card is developed. Please offer me some wisdom.

2. satan89

satan89 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    India
    Bangalore
    Current flashcarts that run 3ds roms only work on 4.1-4.5. The exploit was fixed in future versions. It cannot be said for sure, but as things stand now, there is no evidence suggesting that there will be support for future versions. My suggestion, get a 4.x firmware console, don't bother waiting.

3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Maybe maybe not, but so far there is no indication at all that gateway will be compatible with anything above 4.5

4. Dewdrops

Dewdrops GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2014
    Malaysia
    Keep your current 7.1 if you plan to buy and play games that will be released later this year as there is a major limitation that makes them unable to work with flash carts for now.

If you want older games, invest in a 4.x and a cart that works.

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
  6. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Gotta love noobs and their noob questions. :P