Hacking Question Updated to 7.0.1 and Switch has become corrupt - help! (SX OS)

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It updated no problem, rebooted my Switch, installed a couple of NSPs to my SD card, then my Switch crashed and upon rebooting my list of games and all saved data has disappeared (accept for around 5 maybe, although they're still missing updates). I've checked my SD card and it seems totally fine so the issue is with the switch itself. Obviously this is a big problem so any help would be appreciated!

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have exFat on 7 different SD cards all full and working perfectly fine. I have my retroarch card on fat32 but haven't had a single issue with hundreds of XCI's and NSP's with exFat. Just use quality sd cards

Reactions: Nickbo

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have exFat on 7 different SD cards all full and working perfectly fine. I have my retroarch card on fat32 but haven't had a single issue with hundreds of XCI's and NSP's with exFat. Just use quality sd cards

It's a Sandisk ultra and the SD card's totally fine, it's my Switch itself that's gotten corrupted. I backed up my saves a few weeks ago, so although frustrating it's not the end of the world. Reinstalling the hundreds of games + updates I have though will take literally days, that's what I'm more concerned about. Is there anyway to repair the database (like you can on the PS4) or any other methods I can use to restore my Switch?

Dark Ronin

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
No, there's no known tools or metods allowing to do this kind of a job.
From where I see it, exFAT won't even tell you if you miss something upon checking FS, so I advice you to switch over to fat32, just like previous posters did.
Also, If you have exFAT HDD compatible with your console, you can install games and updates in a bunch using SX Installer while docked. That won't take days.
In any case, good luck to you, and I feel sorry for your data loss cause I've been in a similar situation and learned not to use exFAT and faulty HDD's in a hard way.

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My Switch is no longer turning on - tried everything but think it's fully bricked, can't work out if it's even receiving power :( No idea how this has happened

Last edited by crimsonnight,

crazy_p

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Format your SD Card to FAT32 using Gui Format , download a fresh Copy of the latest boot.dat and copy it with your licence.dat to your SD Card. If your System turns on, create a new Emunand and update it to 7.0.1. Make a Backup of your new Emunand and keep it on your PC. I would just install the few Games that you really play on your Switch, for the Rest of your Games just store them on your HDD and load them as XCI. You can even create Multi XCI's (Game + Update + DLC) with NSC_Builder.

Last edited by crazy_p,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don’t know why people are so obsessed with fat over exfat for fat is so messy having to split the xci files up

Are you still unaware you can install games through usb and not have to split them? It's easier and better than removing your sd card all the time (which can damage the reader)

Every time you install a game though the sd card you have to remove the sd card, put the nsp on it, reboot to put the sd card back, then after installing the game and you want your space back you have to remove the sd card and do the whole process AGAIN to remove it. Usb install requires no reboots at all.

IMO it's saving your Switch due to the sd card reader and saving your sd card from corruption from Exfat. That's more than worth recommending Fat32 which has no downsides at all. It's just hardheaded people that won't listen probably because they're afraid of change.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My Switch is no longer turning on - tried everything but think it's fully bricked, can't work out if it's even receiving power :( No idea how this has happened

Put the switch on the dock if a light comes on for a second it still has power. Did you resend the payload.bin?

Also hold the power button for 15 seconds. Then hold it again for 2 seconds. It'll still be a blank screen but then resend the payload.

Last edited by ,

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for jumping in guys, appreciate the support! :)
Happy to report that I managed to fix it, hopefully the following helps anyone in the same situation.
As suggested in another thread, I cloned my SD card using Win32DiskImager and restoring my 400GB card (which took almost 3 days (via USB 3.0)!) totally fixed everything. It's strange though as it appeared to be an issue with the NAND itself as under data storage it was showing as I had 3.5GB space on the console as opposed to 300MB before the corruption. Also the majority of my titles were missing and the few titles that were showing. most of them had a white icon with the loading circle (ie showing as corrupt installs). I had no idea that all this was tied to the SD card, despite saves etc been shown as on the NAND under data settings. :unsure:
I think the reason I couldn't turn it on is because it must have enabled autoRCM when I updated the emuNAND (as my actual NAND is on 6.0.1) and my dongle must've been out of power. There was literally no sign of my console receiving power with anything I tried doing which was really concerning - but charging the dongle separately and restoring my SD card fixed it, it's like nothing happened.

I'm currently backing up my NAND and I'd like to switch to the non-exfat version of the OS as suggested on this thread, but as I have over 400GB of NSPs (XCIs are on an external HDD) installed, rebuilding everything from the ground up would take days as all installers I've tried take ages to install anything over a few hundred MBs (I'd say roughly 1-2GB every half an hour). If there was a way to convert my card/switch without having to rebuild everything I'd do it in a heartbeat.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to copy everything to your computer (if you have enough space of course, or on an external hard drive) format to Fat32, and copy everything back and they should continue to work. Once a game is installed it's broken down into smaller pieces on the sd card it's no longer a file over 4 gb. I did it when I switched to Fat32 from Exfat and everything continued to work.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hijacking this,
to go from Exfat to Fat32 I basically just backup all files from my exfat card (drag and drop), format the card to Fat32 with Guiformat and copy everything back? Don't have hidden partitions or Emunand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1