[Updated] Tekken 7 Announcement Leaked Slightly Early, Using Unreal Engine 4

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Gahars, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

I hope none of you are Tekken aback, but it looks like a new entry in the fighting franchise is on the way.

:arrow:Gematsu

This follows a previous rumor/leak of the game's existence. The last numbered Tekken came out almost 7 years ago (5 if we're just counting console versions), so fans have had quite a wait.

Unfortunately for Wii U fans, it looks like your console of your choice has been disqualified from participating. The use of Unreal Engine 4 does open up the game to easier porting, though, so PC fans might get lucky this time around. I know that's not a whole lot of consolation to you, but hey, you got Tag Tournament 2, so... there's that, at least.

On another note, it looks like I've combo'd my news posts to post about a combo-based fighter. How fitting.

EDIT: Here is the teaser trailer. Obnoxious distortion and cryptic plot details no one cares about incoming.

SnailCombat likes this.

2. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    god, they better not pull crap like azazel or nancy again

SnailCombat, Black-Ice and Jiehfeng like this.
  3. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    Wait. Doesn't Unreal 4 mean it should be relatively easy to port it to Wii U as well?

PC does have Street Fighter and Skullgirls so it at least sounds likely that Tekken would like the piece of that cake as well seeing how they are doing other consoles than playstation these days.

Gaming4Ever likes this.
  4. Dork

Dork Newbie

I DON'T CARE ABOUT TEKKEN WHERE IS SOULCALIBUR VI

5. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

It's F2P singleplayer only.

I mean, it's not technically "Soulcalibur VI," but after V, whatever, it might as well be.

6. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    They were sure Tekken their time. Geez.

BTW, where's Tekken x Street Fighter? The game is basically entering vaporware territory at this point. They really did to redeem themselves after its counterpart didn't do so hot.

7. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Presumably, they're just refusing to mention the game and hoping beyond hope that everyone just forgets about the whole thing.

"Tekken vs. Street Fighter? What? Why would we have take-Ken? Don't be ridiculous."

8. Dork

Dork Newbie

but gahars lost swords is terribad

9. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I know, dork, I know.

Hold me.

Dork likes this.
  10. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth

So similar to how Square-Enix wants everyone to forget about Final Fantasy XV or Sony about The Last Guardian.

They should just cancel it already. Like the two aforementioned games, the hype dwindles with each absence at each passing game convention. That or the contention increases.

11. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Tekken Vs. Street Fighter was announced?

12. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    It's already the seventh game of the series? I remember last playing Tekken: Dark Resurrection and TTT2.

I bought TTT2 for the Wii U to try it out if it were as good as people praise it to be, and it was fun but not my type of game. I prefer Smash Bros. to it.

Tekken X Street Fighter is the 'official' title not VS.

Hielkenator likes this.
  13. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Epic Games said developers can ship a game on Wii U using Unreal 4 if they wanted to, but they won't officially support it, so I guess the work to get it operable on the Wii U would be up to those game developers.

14. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A not so serious guy tbh... ;D

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Inside your miiind, and poof.
    I find the story interesting.

15. Clydefrosch

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    yeah, right? I wonder who gets his own multibillion zaibatsu this time around. maybe paul? like, a biker-dojo zaibatsu. because, as times get desperate in the tekken universe, the world is slowly transforming into some mad max like desert kingdom and everyone gotta buy biker stuff then

16. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A not so serious guy tbh... ;D

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Inside your miiind, and poof.

Umm, what? :P

17. Clydefrosch

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    well, the story. the story of the game. its always 'we have a zaibatsu. you have a zaibatsu. and somehow, all the kazamas and mishimas are really good at creating zaibatsus out of thin air. now lets have a martial arts tournament to further our zaibatsus power' except for that one time when an ancient war god was the reason for the tournament.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  18. OfficerJeffrey

OfficerJeffrey GBAtemp Regular

May 9, 2012
    United States
    I'm really disappointed it wasn't TK X SF, I feel like Tekken is stagnating at least for an outsider like me, I can't really get into the series. First there's DR, then 6, then Tag 2, then Revolution and now this all on the same generation (probably). I know I say this as an SF4 player but I really think it would've been more beneficial to release X SF to get more people to try Tekken and a balance update for Tag 2 instead, I thought Tag 2 still had plenty of life left in it.

Hielkenator likes this.
  19. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    ...Since when is the Unreal 4 Engine and Tekken the "Holy Grail of Gaming"?
    ...ah I see, it's because it's not coming to Wii U?

FYI this game will probably not turn heads on ANY console, despite being developed with the aid of UE4.
    Tekken is, and has been, a 'meh' game to begin with for a couple years now.

20. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Nobody said anything of the sort, so...?

Might want to dial down that persecution complex, bucko.