UPDATED: M3DS Real with 6GB Micro SDHC Card

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by kafworld, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Xuio

Xuio GBAtemp Regular

Aug 19, 2007
    Poland
    M3 team should fix first batch of m3reals (sh*t, i could wait 2-3 weeks...) by enabling softreset and cheats in other then "NDS" directory (maybe NDS, NDS001, NDS002 etc.) or some other SOFTWARE workaround. I won't buy another m3real just because someone made a huge mistake.

2. cory1492

cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2005
    Canada
    Home, WhereElse?
    Be kinda cool if they elaborated on the issue, especially if it can be fixed without exchanging the card for a new one.

3. kafworld
    OP

kafworld Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2007
    United States
    Below is the link for leaving a message for the M3 Team. There is a small, seldom used Forum over there but it is the quickest way to let them know we're not going to be satisfied until they fix this problem. I just spoke with my supplier who says that until he get a message from M3 he's not exchanging out the many cards I bought from him.

This is one of those times we band together and kindly remind them to fix the problem sooner rather than later.

Leave message in forums at http://www.gba-nds.com/

4. g6team

g6team GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2007
    Hong Kong
  5. rzk7ds

rzk7ds Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2007
    Hi, Many thanks for the update but I can't download the new 2.7 firmware as it asks for a username and password.
    Didn't have this problem when I downloaded 2.6.
    Any ideas please?

(edit) Ok it's fixed now. Have downloaded it. Cheers.

6. Drackel

Drackel Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Good to see another update. Should have my cart today I hope and will put the new version to good use [​IMG]

7. c2ironfist

c2ironfist GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    Can anyone confirm if the update has fixed all their problems?

Would be nice to know as my M3 Real is coming home to me in three weeks lol

8. tomgibbes

tomgibbes Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2007
    Yes please can someone confirm whether the new update has fixed all of the problems as I have a M3 Real in the post and I don't want to end up with a wrongly assembled screwed up card. Will I still get problems or has the update fixed everything?

9. Krell999

Krell999 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2007
    I'm sorry to burst the M3 team's bubble, but I can verify that the firmware fix for the M3DS Real, v2.7e (release 14) does not fix the problem of not being able to handle a certain number of ROMs correctly.

Here are my findings:
    Using Sandisk 8GB Class 4 MicroSD
    Up to 127 games in NDS directory (around 5GB), everything works fine.

Above this 127 games the following problems occur:

a) Some games appear with correct ROM size, but many / most appear with 0 bytes.
    b) Many ROMs no longer include the game glyph next to the ROM name.
    c) NONE of the ROMs will load, DS simply locks up.
    d) Using "R" for scrolling down, slows more and more when approaching the latter entries.

I'm not sure if it coincidence, but have a hunch that the problem seems to be related with quantity of ROMs, perhaps not the size. 127 = 7 bit. I also noticed that previous versions of the M3DS Real firmware would allow around 60 ROMs in the NDS directory before problems arose, so perhaps this was 63 ROMs = 6 bit. Bearing in mind that 8GB MicroSD holds around 180-200 ROMs, and M3 will supposedly support the future larger sized MicroSD (32GB) this release is not boding well for the future. For 32GB (they'll be on sale sooner that we think) I'd expect the M3DS real to be able to handle around 800 ROMs - no chance at the moment.

You can work around this problem by creating sub directories under NDS directory, and placing up to 127 ROMs in each. You can play a ROM in a sub directory by selecting it from "MyCard" option. But be aware, this suffers the following annoyances:

1. Unlike loading the game normally, you will not be able to set any pre-game options (soft reset) or cheats - it will simply go straight into the game.
    2. If the number of items, ROMs + sub directories exceeds 127 you'll get the same symptoms as mentioned a).
    3. The sub directories seemed to appear after the ROMs, so you'll have to scroll through up to 127 of the NDS ROMs to select your sub directory.

The way I see it, if the M3 team can't workaround this 127 limit (which would be an awful state of affairs), they should allow the options / cheats to be selected when loading a ROM from a MyCard sub directory, and sub directories should appear prior to ROMs when browsing.

My penneth worth
    Krell

10. g6team

g6team GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2007
    Hong Kong
    You can have different folders to store your games and load them from the Game List. Tab on the Folder icon on the bottom left corner and change the game directory.

11. Krell999

Krell999 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2007
    I tried to select a sub directory under NDS from the Game List as you suggested, now I can't get back to selecting NDS as the games directory. Any advice?

12. Krell999

Krell999 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2007
    Mmmm, it seems you can't - nice bug! [​IMG]

I put 127 ROMs in NDS, and I created a sub directory under NDS called "1" and put 50 ROMs in there. I selected "1" as the active directory for the ROMs (using the little folder icon, bottom left of the Games List), now I can't get back to using NDS.

It seems that you can't re-select a parent directory if it has a sub directory selected. The "select directory" option is only offered if you navigate to one without any more sub-directories. A bit of a design flaw that!

This could be fixed by the M3 team quite easily, like DOS, every directory has "." and ".." options; ".." takes you to the parent directory, so the browser element should allow you to select "." to set the current directory as "select directory".

Krell

13. SlyPie

SlyPie Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2006
    is there a way to list the roms alphabetically?

14. Krell999

Krell999 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2007
  15. funem

funem Retro Powered..

Nov 4, 2006
    United Kingdom
    out of nowhere....
    The maximum number of roms in a directory is 128, any number above this causes the file list to be corrupt. Because of this I split my Roms across two directories and it works fine. I use a 6gb San Disk card and I can fill it to the brim ( leaving space for saves to be created etc ).

Its a pain you cant select a parent directory if it has a subdirectory, it is a flaw. You should be able to select the "." to denote the current directory. That need fixing, not a show stopper but needs fixing.

Alpha sorting A-Z is a real pain. By default its in fat order. Selecting "name" to sort files the first time makes the list Z-A, you have to select "name" a second time to sort A-Z. This would not usually be a problem but the interface is a bit hit and miss with the stylus, now THAT needs fixing ASAP.

BTW version 2.8 of the firmware/loader is out now as well

16. SlyPie

SlyPie Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2006
    Cheers Krell for the link [​IMG]

17. Panic101

Panic101 GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2007
    United States
    How would you know a new batch of M3 Reals came out?

18. gamez2003

gamez2003 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2007
    Are the problems also with the 8GB SDHC or just the 6GB for some strange reason?

Is it a problem with the M3DS Real firmware or is it the memory cards?

I have a M3DS Real myself and was looking to get a large card 8GB so I can store tons of games for those long trips, as my 2GB is a bit too small [​IMG]

19. Krell999

Krell999 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2007
    I use an 8GB microsd. Simply create sub directories under NDS directory (I call mine 1, 2) and put a maximum of 127 roms in each. Don't bother putting any roms in NDS itself. Then select one of the sub directories as the active one, using little folder icon, bottom left on the selection screen.

Krell

20. El Bastardo

El Bastardo GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2003
    United States
    I really can't see a big problem here.

I also have the M3DS Real with a 6 GB SanDisk MicroSDHC and as I organize my games on my PC I also organize them on the card with one main folder NDS and next to it in the root more folders like "To test", "To play" etc. and swiching folders with the icon in the bottom left corner is fast and easy.

The bigger problem is the laggy touch screen response while trying to sort the list by tapping on the name icon top left [​IMG] !!

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted