Updated from 3.2 to 4.2 with DOP-IOS but still need update?!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by EternalFootman, Dec 27, 2009.

1. EternalFootman
    OP

Newcomer EternalFootman Newbie

United States
    So I installed Homebrew and bootmii on Wii system v3.2. Then I used DOP-IOS to install the wads that put me up to wii system 4.2

Everything looks fine. Installation went fine. Well, it went fine the second time - no errors. But I did get an error the first time I ran it.

But when I go to the Wii menu and put in a disc of a retail game, it says that I need to update the firmware. And this is for every game, even the ones that were working on 3.2. Has this happened to anyone? What's my fix? I'm on a later console, and have bootmii installed as an IOS, not in boot2, so I'm trying to be very cautious here...

Thank you for your help!

Dave

2. chunan

Newcomer chunan Member

Taiwan
    DOP-IOS doesn't install stub IOSes which are usually are latest revison, eg IOS50, IOS60...

Use loader to play your retail game to block update or use preloader/prooloader or startpatch hack.

3. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you install all of the wads in xzxero's update to 4.2 package with wad manager then you shouldn't have anything ask you to update, but since you couldn't install bootmii to boot2, you might as well install preloader since that's the best brick protection you can get at this point and with that you can enable the skip disc update check hack and not have to worry about games asking for updates anyways.

You probably have some old IOS on an older version causing all of those games to want to update it. Just installing IOS70 and the 4.2 system menu wad doesn't make your system completely up to date.

4. EternalFootman
    OP

United States
    It looks like DOP-IOS updates/patches IOS 15, 36, and adds 70, and the menu. It says on this guide that this will give me a full, working version of 4.2

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ha.../trucha-bug-4-2

Now tell me, am I screwed? Honestly, I just want to re-virginize my Wii and start all over again at this point! Should I attempt the Nintendo Update? I'm assuming the answer is a resounding "NO!" but I thought I'd ask anyway...

Thanks for your help!

5. EternalFootman
    OP

United States
    I was able to look into xzxero's update package. Is there any way I can run that now? And if so, do I choose the package that "updates" to 4.2, or the package that "modify's 4.2" I guess we're assuming that I have a mix of systems right now, and so maybe the "update" option would be the best?

Thanks again! (I'm learning a lot tonight!)

Dave

6. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yes you can reinstall all of the wads from the update package. Reinstalling things doesn't hurt anything (unless it fails half way or something) but deleting things or installing incorrect region things/stub system menu IOS's will screw you over.

And by that statement about what dop-IOS updates, yes that will give you a full working 4.2 system menu, but it doesn't update every IOS on your system to their latest IOS's.

Also, revirginizing to "start over" is one of the more dumb reasons to virginize a Wii. Pretty much everything you do will install over whatever you had previously, so just follow xzxero's guide completely from the update section through the modify section. The update section will take care of any possible cIOSCORP installs and such, and the rest will install over whatever else you may have had. (though you probably won't have to go through the deleting stub cIOS's steps since you didn't officially update.)

7. EternalFootman
    OP

United States
    So which seems to be best for 4.2? Preloader .29 or Priiloader? I was planning on using Priiloader, but I have had a couple of people specifically recommend Preloader .29. Whats the general consensus on the compatibility and usage of those two pieces of software?

Well, I'm going to install one of them tonight and see what happens. If that works, then I may not take the chances with xyxero's setup. But if I'm still having issues, I'll do that setup tomorrow. Just pray that it works.

And if I re-virginize the Wii, I'm not hacking it again - I'll live with it as is. But I think I might just go back to my NAND backup of 3.2 hacked and then use the Priiloader hack to keep the update issue from happening. I'm not sure 4.2 is really worth the risk, honestly...

8. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    nothing wrong with 4.2, just install priiloader and disable the update check