Updated a CIA (via eShop), now game won't boot

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by riggs, Jul 24, 2015.

1. riggs
    OP

riggs GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2006
    Lincs
    So after messing around with the eShop spoofer, I updated Smash Bros (EUR - 00ee0) and now the game won't boot. I think I read somewhere that the update won't work yet, so my question is how to I uninstall update data? I've removed the CIA (via Title Manager) as well as the ExtData, reinstalled the original (working) CIA and it still hangs at the 3DS loading screen.

The strange thing is that if I cold boot the system to stock FW and don't run the Ninjhax/Pasta exploit, the game loads fine?

I also updated another game via the eShop, but that one seems to load fine in Pasta.

On N3DS 9.0.0

2. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    You need firmlaunch to use the latest ssb update.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Updates are stored separately from the actual game, even if it's in CIA format, so you're uninstalling the game but leaving the update alone. You'll have to delete the update from data management, or do what the user above me said (which is a better solution if you want to play online)

4. riggs
    OP

riggs GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2006
    Lincs
    Ah right, ok. Am I right in thinking there's a bug with Data Management that deletes all save games? I've not actually used it since installing Pasta for fear of loosing my saves.

5. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    As long as you use it after booting PastaCFW it's no problem.
    Actually, I think it only deletes things if you have installed things on emuNAND and the NANDs are linked, because it doesn't find the ticket for the installed content. As PastaCFW runs on sysNAND it shouldn't happen in your case, but it's best to only use Data Management while in CFW just to be safe.

6. riggs
    OP

riggs GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2006
    Lincs
    Oooooh, that's good to know. So I can safely removed the update data via Data Management and not risk losing saves?

See, I'm still learning stuff and getting used to the caveats of current CFWs. Like the other day, after using the eShop I was wondering why Mii Plaza had lost all it's DLC, then someone reminded me about the eShop/DLC bug :-)

7. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    As long as you don't delete the game itself, which I believe will delete the save data for it too (not sure about this though)
    Edit: Well, IIRC it does give you an option to back up save data when you delete a game.

8. riggs
    OP

riggs GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2006
    Lincs
    Nice one, thanks for the help.

I deleted both the ExtraData and the Add-on data and now the game boots fine. Plus my savegames appear to be intact.