[UPDATE] Windows 10 will interrupt you if you try to install a browser & suggest using Edge instead

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
upload_2018-9-12_14-36-7.png

Microsoft really wants people to use Edge as their default browser. For now they've been content with reminding the user when they try to switch the default browser or when they open HTML files, but they've got a new strategy.
When you open the installer for Chrome or Firefox, Windows 10 will present a popup window suggesting you to use Edge instead:

upload_2018-9-12_14-41-58.png

This popup is currently only showing in Windows 10 Insider Build 1809 and only time will tell if it will get into the stable release.

:arrow: Source

UPDATE - 15 Sept

Microsoft has replied to the situation. They will remove the prompt from the stable release as this was a test for Insiders only.
We've tested this functionality with Insiders only - The Windows Insider Program enables Microsoft to test different features, functionality and garner feedback before rolling out broadly. Customers remain in control and can choose the browser of their choice

:arrow: Source - Thanks, @SaberLilly!

Last edited by smileyhead,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
in the past Microsoft was sued before for enforcing the media player and internet explorer..
thats why it started do come with that shit of "browser selection" icon in the desktop IIRC in windows xp~7

Is microsoft repeating history?
and how come the reason they got sued in the past, will allow this crap?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use Chrome and will continue to for the foreseeable future (mostly because of the Google eco-system) but I have to admit Edge is surprisingly good - I don't think people give it enough credit.

It's much faster, especially on lower end hardware and despite a lack of extensions it's a very well rounded browser.

If anyone's repeating history; it's Google with Chrome and their Chrome-only sites, repeating what Microsoft did back in the day with Internet Explorer.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Lolz first the notifications, now this.

To be fair, Edge isn't that bad now. Still bothersome for sure.

For anything but the most casual user it's not much use until it supports add-ons/extensions. The only thing I use it for is Netflix. It's the only one where some of the content doesn't have the resolution restricted.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This... Just, wow. I thought it was annoying enough when it bitched at you when trying to change the default browser in settings. This is a whole other level. *Slow clap* Fucking Windows 10, everyone. Even if it doesn't make it into the final build, this is beyond the pale for me. Edge is fine if you really don't care or don't want to bog down a really low-spec machine, but slapping an unwanted pop-up in the faces of users like this just makes the OS scream adware more and more. Time to pirate LTSB or use tools...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6bpfjw/guide_to_make_a_perfect_windows_10_iso/

Reactions: ry755 and grey72

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh Microsoft, don't worry! I use Edge, and I assure you some other people also do!
And I don't mean only as a downloader for Chrome installer, nope.
Since Google banned the CR Unblocker plugin from the Chrome store, I also use Edge as a Crunchyroll player! Such awesomeness!
Very useful really!

PS: People will always find a use case for Edge, Microsoft, don't you worry. You can hold your Guinness Record entry as the most popular Chrome downloader for now, but be wary because Safari comes as a close second.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Oh Microsoft, don't worry! I use Edge, and I assure you some other people also do!
And I don't mean only as a downloader for Chrome installer, nope.
Since Google banned the CR Unblocker plugin from the Chrome store, I also use Edge as a Crunchyroll player! Such awesomeness!
Very useful really!

PS: People will always find a use case for Edge, Microsoft, don't you worry. You can hold your Guinness Record entry as the most popular Chrome downloader for now, but be wary because Safari comes as a close second.
I actually used Edge a bunch of times when some stuff was broken on Chrome, but that's about it.

D

Deleted User

So it does! Guess I hadn't looked into it for a while. Still far too limited a selection, but it's progress.
i don't think it's gonna get that many ever, it's had them since 2016-ish and the store is heavily curated for stuff like that

sadly the thousands of miscategorized shitty bingo games and asset flips aren't curated

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Microsoft really wants people to use Edge as their default browser. For now they've been content with reminding the user when they try to switch the default browser or when they open HTML files, but they've got a new strategy.
When you open the installer for Chrome or Firefox, Windows 10 will present a popup window suggesting you to use Edge instead:

View attachment 143007

This popup is currently only showing in Windows 10 Insider Build 1809 and only time will tell if it will get into the stable release.

:arrow: Source

welp, it seems that Microsoft is doing the same error that they did in the past.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: