Update Wii to 4.3 AND install Homebrew WITHOUT Internet connection

CoqPwner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've been meaning to dabble with softmodding my Wii, but I'm in a bit of a pickle. See my Wii refuses to connect to the internet, I've tried several different networks in different places, it just won't connect. I figure my Network chip is busted (it might simply have never worked)

But now I read you could use an SD card to install homebrew and whatnot, so I ordered one....

Now though, every single guide I see says you need your Wii on version 4.3 (mine is 3.40)

ONLY every guide I read to UPDATE my wii with an SD card says I need Homebrew already installed.

Am I completely boned, here? Is there a way to do this? WITHOUT internet (don't try to troubleshoot my internet connection, please. I've already spend HOURS trying to fix it to no avail)

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Some games have updates on the disc. If you attempt to play the game on a lower version, it prompts you to update. It installs the new version from the disc, no internet required.

Some of the games that come with the 4.3 update are:
- Metroid Other M
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Wii party
- Bit.Trip.Complete
and probably some others.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

spitzeqc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As osm70 has said, you can use a game to update your wii. A list of games with updates can be found here (how's your german?), and many games can be found on ebay for ~$25

Side note: you could try to use a usb to ethernet adapter to connect your wii to the internet. No guarantees, but if you have one its worth a shot

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Modmii can do this for u. Just use its main wizard, enter your starting firmware and whatever firmware u want to finish on, if asked about updating IOSs say yes. If you have an SD card u can do this without wifi and without updating, 3.4 is no problem.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Modmii can do this for u. Just use its main wizard, enter your starting firmware and whatever firmware u want to finish on, if asked about updating IOSs say yes. If you have an SD card u can do this without wifi and without updating, 3.4 is no problem.
Was about to write the same. Important for game compatibility is the presence of correct, updated IOS, not the System Menu version.

=====
As for the internet problem… My personal opinion: WiFi sucks. Period. WiFi on Nintendo devices sucks even more. Never had any problems with the LAN adapter.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: XFlak and jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple