Hacking Question Update to what firmware as of 01/2019?

coveiro24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys :grog:

So my switch is on 5.1.0 firmware. I am using reinx.
Used also the ChoidujourNX to update from the 3.0 version. And using the gamecart block update (NOGC) feature ever since!

What is right now the better firmware to update (having all the same features and maybe more of the 5.1.0)? And any game requires the update?

Last edited by coveiro24,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Used also the ChoidujourNX to update from the 3.0 version. And using the gamecart block update (NOGC) feature ever since!

What is right now the better firmware to update (having all the same features and maybe more of the 5.1.0)? And any game requires the update?

It is 6.2.0 and released it on 19 November 2018. If you want New Super Mario Bros Deluxe and others.. requiring 6.2.0.

Why bother with 5.1.0 ? You can save 5.1.0 and update 6.2.0 with choidujournx update. You won't burn the fuses then. And you can downgrade it back to 5.1.0 if you want.. Again with choidujournx update. :)

Last edited by spotanjo3,
Reactions: Boloshi and Erol

AndrewH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any background work being done on firmware LESS than 6.20, that may be beneficial to stay lower, say 6.01, etc? This is for those that aren't updating using Choidujournx, meaning official update. I am still on 6.0.1, but am unsure if there is anything worth staying on this slightly lower firmware for, instead of going to 6.20 officially. (I am still not on a hacked system.. on the fence... but don't want to screw myself for potential down the road).

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just go to 6.2.0

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any background work being done on firmware LESS than 6.20, that may be beneficial to stay lower, say 6.01, etc? This is for those that aren't updating using Choidujournx, meaning official update. I am still on 6.0.1, but am unsure if there is anything worth staying on this slightly lower firmware for, instead of going to 6.20 officially. (I am still not on a hacked system.. on the fence... but don't want to screw myself for potential down the road).
There's potential for the deja vu exploit chain on 6.0.1 but not on 6.2.0, but that's most significant for ipatched switches. If you're interested in using a multi-step process to reboot from OFW into CFW, instead of using RCM to boot straight into CFW, then don't burn that fuse.

Last edited by hippy dave,

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was in your situation and went to 6.1. I'd advise against going to 6.2. I'm still seeing people report problems with it as of today. 6.1 has been great for me so far.

As for games, GRIS will not run on 5.1. Even with tinfoil's ignore FW option. That's what made me make the jump to 6.1. Amazing game btw.

Reactions: Spunky247

AndrewH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's potential for the deja vu exploit chain on 6.0.1 but not on 6.2.0, but that's most significant for ipatched switches. If you're interested in using a multi-step process to reboot from OFW into CFW, instead of using RCM to boot straight into CFW, then don't burn that fuse.

I was in your situation and went to 6.1. I'd advise against going to 6.2. I'm still seeing people report problems with it as of today. 6.1 has been great for me so far.

As for games, GRIS will not run on 5.1. Even with tinfoil's ignore FW option. That's what made me make the jump to 6.1. Amazing game btw.

Thanks a lot for the input guys, really appreciate it. With what was said, I think I will hold out and stick with 6.0.1 for now. The newest game I have is Tales of Vesperia physical cart and it loads just fine on 6.0.1, so no real need to go to 6.2 anyways. I would just do it, if I was told there was no difference, as I do miss getting official game updates, DLC and access to the Eshop, but can do without all that, since it was stated that 6.0.1 is better than 6.2.

Thanks so much again guys.

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks a lot for the input guys, really appreciate it. With what was said, I think I will hold out and stick with 6.0.1 for now. The newest game I have is Tales of Vesperia physical cart and it loads just fine on 6.0.1, so no real need to go to 6.2 anyways. I would just do it, if I was told there was no difference, as I do miss getting official game updates, DLC and access to the Eshop, but can do without all that, since it was stated that 6.0.1 is better than 6.2.

Thanks so much again guys.

Full emmc backup with boot0/boot1, ChoiNX up to 6.2.0

Keep autoRCM enabled to not burn fuses and you are golden. Upgrade / downgrade as you wish.

Reactions: Tilde88

AndrewH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Full emmc backup with boot0/boot1, ChoiNX up to 6.2.0

Keep autoRCM enabled to not burn fuses and you are golden. Upgrade / downgrade as you wish.

Thank you for the info, however, I have not yet delved into hacking my Switch. It is still clean and I am without a jig and dongle. I am on the fence about going this route, but trying to plan ahead for if/when I do go down that path, that I am in the best position possible. Since this is the case, I would need to update 'officially', which would be problematic in the long run, hence my question on whether I should stay where I am or not 'officially'.

I appreciate your time in replying, however.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off