Hacking Update to use SD card? 4.1.0

• Thread starter Deleted-442439
  • Start date
  • Views 14,032
  • Replies 19
D

Deleted-442439

OP
So I finally bought a micro SD card (128GB) to use when CFW comes out, but my Switch is asking me to update! I am on 4.1.0, never connected to the internet since 5.0 came out, been using Reswitched DNS, and no update data is downloaded on the console.

" A system update is required to use the microSDXC memory."

Promt: Later or system update

I thought the update adding SDXC support was 3.0.0? Regardless is there a workaround for this?

D

Deleted-442439

OP
So does 4.1.0 not support exFAT?

If you haver never used a exFAT card before it will not, but if you downloaded the prompted update before it should work. Formatting for FAT32 worked for me.

To clarify: The exFAT update is seperate from Firmware updates, so if you installed it when the FW you are running was current it will all work, if not you will need to update to the newest FW to install the exfat support.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Amingo and satan89

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't worry about exFAT, I am pretty sure support for it will be added for it with the upcoming CFW anyway.

D

Deleted-442439

OP
I wouldn't worry about exFAT, I am pretty sure support for it will be added for it with the upcoming CFW anyway.

Exactly, and currently I don't see any homebrew content out there that would require files over 4GB, unless you want piracy I don't see much use for exFAT right now.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Exactly, and currently I don't see any homebrew content out there that would require files over 4GB, unless you want piracy I don't see much use for exFAT right now.

Even for piracy (which is impossible right now), I read a little while ago all games have files split in 4GB size or lower because some people have 32GB or lower cards, which means they can only be formated in FAT32.

minooch_e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even for piracy (which is impossible right now), I read a little while ago all games have files split in 4GB size or lower because some people have 32GB or lower cards, which means they can only be formated in FAT32.

You can use exFAT on drives smaller than 32GB

DarkMeowstic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
However the Switch doesn't. The Switch apparently only uses exFAT for 64GB and above and has a firmware update ready to enable it because of the license they have to pay Microsoft to use it.
You are confusing exFAT with NTFS. Also, updating is just an anty-piracy measure.

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You are confusing exFAT with NTFS. Also, updating is just an anty-piracy measure.

You are confusing exFAT with ext maybe?

Quote from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT):

"exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) is a Microsoft file system introduced in 2006 optimized for flash memory such as USB flash drives and SD cards.[5] It is proprietary and Microsoft owns patents on several elements of its design.[2]

exFAT can be used where the NTFS file system is not a feasible solution (due to data structure overhead), yet the file size limit of the standard FAT32 file system (i.e. 4 GiB) remains in those scenarios.

exFAT has been adopted by the SD Card Association as the default file system for SDXC cards larger than 32 GiB."

You have to pay to use exFAT on a NAS as they tend to run on Linux and does not want to pay the fee for you. (Also, the license for that NAS is non-transferable and locked to that device.)

And not everything they did was for anti-piracy campaign, people seriously need to stop thinking that way. It's just you that feel it that way, they were just doing their jobs and fixing their shit.

Last edited by _______,

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I wasn't. Nintendo has to pay a license fee to Microsoft to use it. So instead of paying that fee for every Switch, they have you download a firmware update the first time you want to use a microSDXC card. There is basically a firmware update with microSDXC support and there is one without it. So even if you have the latest update, the Switch will still you to update.

So basically, the Switch only gives you that prompt for cards above 32GB. 32GB or lower cards are formatted with FAT32 file system. Since there are some people using 32GB cards, Nintendo has to split all games into files of 4GB or less to fit on those cards.

softwareengineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The exFAT update is seperate from Firmware updates, so if you installed it when the FW you are running was current it will all work, if not you will need to update to the newest FW

That sounds pretty bogus and manipulative... There's no technical reason limiting it being install-able on whatever firmware version, but whatever the latest firmware is they hold any little update that you might actually want hostage and try to force you to update just to have a particular feature, despite that latest firmware actually having nothing to do with the functionality. It's not specific to this exfat FS, they do that as often and whenever they can, there just like oh looks like you need the latest update to get that feature, but actually you don't really lol. Anyway that's the best incentive you got to update us nintendo? No biggie! If that's the case then CFW here we come! :)

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That sounds pretty bogus and manipulative... There's no technical reason limiting it being install-able on whatever firmware version, but whatever the latest firmware is they hold any little update that you might actually want hostage and try to force you to update just to have a particular feature, despite that latest firmware actually having nothing to do with the functionality. It's not specific to this exfat FS, they do that as often and whenever they can, there just like oh looks like you need the latest update to get that feature, but actually you don't really lol. Anyway that's the best incentive you got to update us nintendo? No biggie! If that's the case then CFW here we come! :)

Not exactly correct. As a manufacture, they change fw because of bugs, features and anti-piracy reasons as well, and most of the time they combine many or even all of the above at once. The fw itself actually way more ugly down there as in code. What you see is just the outcome. It's their jobs to fix and improve the fw, and the warranty cost is related to that matter. If they let you use those buggy fw as long as you like, their cost on repairing malfunction device would be much higher. Its not how company works. And yes they do fix exploit as well, as they are technically (security) issues. You can't cherry pick what you want and what you don't in the fw. It's not an Android device. You can't even go to McDonald's and cherry pick how they make your burgers at that level.

I'm happy that we have freedom on devices we bought because of the homebrew. But to demonize their engineers for doing their jobs isn't right. If it's Windows that got tons of exploits and people refused to update, it's gonna be a shit storm outta there. And when it's a game console, suddenly people have double standards? You bought the console for what they claim it can do (pay to play what they offered), they were not lying about that and you chose to buy it anyways. Now if you wanted something that's not it was designed for and be mad about it, it's your own problem.

Then again it's GBATemp, I shouldn't expect people to understand any reasonable things.

Last edited by _______,
Reactions: minooch_e

softwareengineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright common now, let's not make an ass out of umption here. lol Some of us only became interested and picked one up once the prospect of it being a device that you can actually be the true owner of became apparent! You see these companies unrightfully lock down people's devices not for your security, but for their security. Which equals your insecurity, that's the way I see it. I have root access to every device I own that I keep, as that way I'm the actual owner of it not somebody else. If I don't have root to my own device, then who does? Since it isn't me, it's by default somebody I can't trust. We're the ones securing our own devices, we find the exploits, use them to gain lowest level privileges possible(high level) and that use our privileges to patch the vulnerabilities so they can't be used against us while retaining our full ownership. I stopped using windows and switched to linux the moment I read that win10 'user agreement'/not sell your soul/give it away for free rather and I was shaking my head in absolute disgust at what they expected me to agree to, what they expected me to just click next without even looking at...(Where as probably most people didn't even read it, nor fully understood the ramifications that accepting it would actually mean for them) If that's any direction nintendo or any other company think they want to head towards then I have every right to force-ably and strongly resist this electronic tyranny! I also don't ever eat mcdonalds, that's pure poison don't get me started on that... So for me personally no I didn't buy it for what they claim it can do, but for what they claim it cannot or should not do instead! Some are interested in games, others are interested in hardware and software and advancing forward in their knowledge and capabilities of the inner workings of our ever accelerating electro-dynamic world! Lol I'm like the exact opposite of a person that you imagined. So hey it is what it is! and who's mad? I think the smiley at the end of my post should have conveyed happiness! For clarification though since I got in the game, I've been in it for custom firmware full access since day 1 so I never would have any incentive to update until I got root and secured my device for myself and update in a safe and secure manner (which maintains my security/keeping root and full ownership). I merely was curious of the things they try to do in order to entice people to update to a less secure for people / more secure for the company firmware and this seemed like one of the lamer reasons to update. Like hey bro why'd you update your switch... "Well this game required it and I wanted to play online right now use eshop and yea it's awesome bro, why'd you update yours?" ... "For exFat support -.-"... "What? you got fat a kicked off the force?".... "No bro that's not what I said, oh nevermind!" :D lol Lighten up will ya! We have some hard work, but also some great times ahead! :D

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some of us only became interested and picked one up once the prospect of it being a device that you can actually be the true owner of became apparent! You see these companies unrightfully lock down people's devices not for your security, but for their security.

They legally and morally have the right to lock down the devices they manufacture. If you don't want to buy a locked down device then there are plenty to choose from.

I assume you want one that has the advantages of a locked down device, with none of the disadvantages. You don't have any right to that, no matter how much you really really want it.

Open source doesn't improve your security, it's becoming pretty clear that it's actually more dangerous to your security. But using a switch you're in an even worse position as it will be practically impossible to security audit the firmware and games and patch any vulnerabilities.

To achieve your stated goal you ought to buy a cheap tablet, write your own OS and games and hope there is no embedded software in the CPU that has any exploits (which most of them do). If you worry about that then start writing HDL and build your own CPU. An FPGA and the tools to compile the HDL are reasonably safe against having any exploits.

Last edited by smf,

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Did someone just register a new account for troll? Or just too scared to use his real account since it will make him look stupid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1