update to ios5 or stay 4.3.3 what would you do ?

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by buffdog, Oct 14, 2011.

Oct 14, 2011
  1. buffdog
    OP

Member buffdog GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    just dont know what to do :( pros and cons would be nice or just your input thx ;)

2. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Very simple:
    Pros- new features
    Cons- tethered jailbreak only
    It depends on how muh you want the new features

3. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    Pros: iMessage, Wi-Fi Sync, iCloud, Notification Center, Twitter integrations. More camera options.

Cons: Tethered jailbreak. But I wouldn't call that as such a con, depending on your device anyway.

1 person likes this.
  4. Vinnymac

Member Vinnymac GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yep, it is very simple. Because their is no untethered jailbreak available to the public yet, I am going to wait. My jailbroken phone is worth waaaay more to me, than any new feaures apple has ever revealed via software. It really comes down to the features and your use of the phone. Do you theme and use cydia apps a lot? If that is the case, wait. If you don't, then upgrade.

5. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    There's an untethered jailbreak in the works. I updated, I can live without a jailbreak for a little while. As for what you should do... well just update unless you really need the jailbreak for something.

6. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i guess assuming the OP has a jailbroken device isn't too far off the mark, even though it's not stated and only barely implied by the asking of the question.

it's certainly better than reading it, making no assumptions about jailbreak, and immediately wondering what the OP's problem is.

7. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well if you have iphone 3GS with baseband 6.15.00 installed I'd advice staying on 4.3.3 for now as there is a few issues that make installing 5.0 on the device is a royal pain in the backside... Its doable. I've done it but I wouldn't recomend my method...

with any other device go with above recomendations to decide. Although please note that ibooks is not working on an ios 5 JB quite yet either as well as possibly certain other features. frankly i'd wait to update if you wish to retain full functionality without the need for a tethered boot. Oh and large numbers of jailbreak apps are now not functioning.... Give it a few weeks then take the plunge. by then we should have untethered JB/ most of the functionality of the software back in tact....

8. ragingchaosgod

Member ragingchaosgod JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG

Philippines
    I can pretty much live with the tethered jailbreak seeing as we don't really let the iPad die. The new features are pretty much working apart from, yes, as Hells Guardian mentioned... iBooks doesn't work. So far, I haven't had any problems with my other apps. Any list of those not working though?

9. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well winterboard is another problematic app. It can be made stable with a patch but frankly it still has it's glitches....All in all it's mostly just some of the 3rd party apps/jailbreak apps that you will see any issues with. devs are hard at work all around the world to bring you updates for these non working apps so it's not too big a worry. hopefully we can get everything ironed out soon. :) I have yet to see a list of items not working but dev team is already working onfixes for ibooks and untethered jb ect so I went ahead and updated. cant take too long right?

10. sputnix

Member sputnix GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    personally tethered jailbreaks aren't all that bad just follow this three steps
    1. ONLY USE CYDIA when at your computer so if you have to reboot you can boot jailbroken
    2. Never shut the phone off [duh] plug it in at night [my clock as an iphone jack] so that way it will be fully charged to last the day
    3. If it runs slows respring it's just as good as a reboot, but you don't have to reconnect to your computer

11. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Well...
    Pros:
    Notification center
    Built in dictionary
    Reader
    Split keyboard for iPad only
    Camera key

Cons:
    Lose all jailbreak functionality (eg self-named carriers)
    Lose all jailbroken (or your pirated) apps
    Get a tethered jailbreak (untethered on the works)

12. buffdog
    OP

United Kingdom
    sorry for long time to reply am going to stay on 4.3.3 on my iphone4 but go to ios5 on my ipod4g thats on 4.3.5. but now cant get update just get errors is there another way to update? and thx to all you guys for the info and help :) :biggrin: ;) B-)

13. NextStep

Member NextStep GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    haven't updated since i got my phone, and was planning on updating once an untethered jailbreak is available.

however, the "lose all jailbroken/pirated apps" con is really deterring me.
    there is no way to update and not lose them?

14. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Yea, but they won't work.

EDIT: 900!!!

15. ryuhosuke

Newcomer ryuhosuke Advanced Member

Canada
    well is the 4.3.5 jailbroken? Although I have not seen that version jailbroken before, maybe you should update to the newest itunes? or maybe try it on a separate PC?

16. buffdog
    OP

United Kingdom
    thx ryuhosuke my ipod ios5 now had to get rid the hackin apps off my laptop then it worked becouse the error said If you have installed software to perform unauthorized modifications to your iOS device, that software may have redirected connections to the update server (gs.apple.com) within the Hosts file. First you must uninstall the unauthorized modification software from the computer, then edit out the "gs.apple.com" redirect from the hosts file, and then restart the computer for the host file changes to take affect and thats what i did then it worked

oh yeh ios5 is not all that :unsure: