Apple update to ios5 or stay 4.3.3 what would you do ?

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pros: iMessage, Wi-Fi Sync, iCloud, Notification Center, Twitter integrations. More camera options.

Cons: Tethered jailbreak. But I wouldn't call that as such a con, depending on your device anyway.

Reactions: 1 person

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
Yep, it is very simple. Because their is no untethered jailbreak available to the public yet, I am going to wait. My jailbroken phone is worth waaaay more to me, than any new feaures apple has ever revealed via software. It really comes down to the features and your use of the phone. Do you theme and use cydia apps a lot? If that is the case, wait. If you don't, then upgrade.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There's an untethered jailbreak in the works. I updated, I can live without a jailbreak for a little while. As for what you should do... well just update unless you really need the jailbreak for something.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess assuming the OP has a jailbroken device isn't too far off the mark, even though it's not stated and only barely implied by the asking of the question.

it's certainly better than reading it, making no assumptions about jailbreak, and immediately wondering what the OP's problem is.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you have iphone 3GS with baseband 6.15.00 installed I'd advice staying on 4.3.3 for now as there is a few issues that make installing 5.0 on the device is a royal pain in the backside... Its doable. I've done it but I wouldn't recomend my method...

with any other device go with above recomendations to decide. Although please note that ibooks is not working on an ios 5 JB quite yet either as well as possibly certain other features. frankly i'd wait to update if you wish to retain full functionality without the need for a tethered boot. Oh and large numbers of jailbreak apps are now not functioning.... Give it a few weeks then take the plunge. by then we should have untethered JB/ most of the functionality of the software back in tact....

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I can pretty much live with the tethered jailbreak seeing as we don't really let the iPad die. The new features are pretty much working apart from, yes, as Hells Guardian mentioned... iBooks doesn't work. So far, I haven't had any problems with my other apps. Any list of those not working though?

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well winterboard is another problematic app. It can be made stable with a patch but frankly it still has it's glitches....All in all it's mostly just some of the 3rd party apps/jailbreak apps that you will see any issues with. devs are hard at work all around the world to bring you updates for these non working apps so it's not too big a worry. hopefully we can get everything ironed out soon. :) I have yet to see a list of items not working but dev team is already working onfixes for ibooks and untethered jb ect so I went ahead and updated. cant take too long right?

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
personally tethered jailbreaks aren't all that bad just follow this three steps
1. ONLY USE CYDIA when at your computer so if you have to reboot you can boot jailbroken
2. Never shut the phone off [duh] plug it in at night [my clock as an iphone jack] so that way it will be fully charged to last the day
3. If it runs slows respring it's just as good as a reboot, but you don't have to reconnect to your computer

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well...
Pros:
Notification center
Built in dictionary
Reader
Split keyboard for iPad only
Camera key

Cons:
Lose all jailbreak functionality (eg self-named carriers)
Lose all jailbroken (or your pirated) apps
Get a tethered jailbreak (untethered on the works)

buffdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
sorry for long time to reply am going to stay on 4.3.3 on my iphone4 but go to ios5 on my ipod4g thats on 4.3.5. but now cant get update just get errors is there another way to update? and thx to all you guys for the info and help :) :biggrin: ;) B-)

NextStep

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well...
Cons:

haven't updated since i got my phone, and was planning on updating once an untethered jailbreak is available.

however, the "lose all jailbroken/pirated apps" con is really deterring me.
there is no way to update and not lose them?

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well...
Cons:

haven't updated since i got my phone, and was planning on updating once an untethered jailbreak is available.

however, the "lose all jailbroken/pirated apps" con is really deterring me.
there is no way to update and not lose them?

Yea, but they won't work.

EDIT: 900!!!

ryuhosuke

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
sorry for long time to reply am going to stay on 4.3.3 on my iphone4 but go to ios5 on my ipod4g thats on 4.3.5. but now cant get update just get errors is there another way to update? and thx to all you guys for the info and help :) :D ;) B-)

well is the 4.3.5 jailbroken? Although I have not seen that version jailbroken before, maybe you should update to the newest itunes? or maybe try it on a separate PC?

buffdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thx ryuhosuke my ipod ios5 now had to get rid the hackin apps off my laptop then it worked becouse the error said If you have installed software to perform unauthorized modifications to your iOS device, that software may have redirected connections to the update server (gs.apple.com) within the Hosts file. First you must uninstall the unauthorized modification software from the computer, then edit out the "gs.apple.com" redirect from the hosts file, and then restart the computer for the host file changes to take affect and thats what i did then it worked

oh yeh ios5 is not all that :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"