[UPDATE] The Pokémon Company sues fan for Copyright Infringement, demands $4,000 in damages

Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JEkDpaR.jpg

You might remember The Pokémon Company suing fans for hosting an unauthorized Pokémon event to mark the kickoff PAX Prime convention, due to Pikachu and Snivy appearing on the poster promoting the event. It was immediately cancelled, but now it has been ruled that The Pokémon Company is entitled to $4000 in damages. Larkin Jones, the host of the unauthorized event, had this to say:

"I can't pay it. I manage a cafe, and cost of living is super expensive in Seattle. I am hoping I can try to pay it over the course of a year, because I simply want to be done with it."

But The Pokémon Company has denied his appeal of a payment plan and has 40 days to come up with the money. He set up a Gofundme campaign which has already reached the goal in a matter of hours.

Source

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Seriously, the Pokemon company are just dickheads, whether it's their IP that was used shouldn't have caused this hostile response from the company. A C/D would've been sufficient. What's $4000 to them? And they go as far as denying him a payment plan?

Yeah, he charged $2 a head to cover expenses. I am sure he came out on the negative side in the end, but I just can't believe they took it this far. After all, it's a fan event party. In the end, it would earn them positive publicity points.

Eat shit Pokemon company. I am glad it worked well for the guy who was sued. Props to community for the donations.

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Pfttt, gateway, *uses RXTools* (BTW I have a gateway to, just joking around)
i used to use rxtools+ pbt, but i managed to brick my 3ds, then i broke the mobo(because the tip of my soldering iron is way too thick), then i got a new mobo from my friend with 9.8(because of a broken connector for the touch screen in attempt of repairing a broken lower screen) then managing to make som crappy repair for that, and THEN, after i was not allowed to trade my old iphone 4 for my brother's 3ds system with 4.5 (he has a 3ds and 3dsxl, and never touches the normal one) sooo.... im kinda screwed

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
From what I read it's not as if he was just a Pokemon fan. He is the owner of a cafe and was throwing a Pokémon theme party in his cafe. How much he charged for the event doesn't matter, even if the event was free, using the Pokémon IP is a way to maximize profit by attracting more customers. I do think the Pokémon Company could have ignored this, but I don't think they are wrong doing what they did. Frankly, owners of commercials establishments should know better than using random IPs to attract customers

mgrev

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
From what I read it's not as if he was just a Pokemon fan. He is the owner of a cafe and was throwing a Pokémon theme party in his cafe. How much he charged for the event doesn't matter, even if the event was free, using the Pokémon IP is a way to maximize profit by attracting more customers. I do think the Pokémon Company could have ignored this, but I don't think they are wrong doing what they did. Frankly, owners of commercials establishments should know better than using random IPs to attract customers
actually you are quite right there, but only if there was a theme party to atract more customers

Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how strange they doesn't bother about nsfw artworks I can find everywhere...
...please don't give them ideas.
I'm of the same opinion. If you are going to charge using someone else's copyrighted work, you must ask permission. Anything Nintendo related has been pretty lenient towards fan work that didn't ask for money.

However... suing him directly? Why not a C&D letter first? Also, he cancelled the event immediately, so why pursuing the charges? All you are going to do is to look like a greedy fuck, no better than the person who infringed your copyright for profit.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem was that they were charging admission. Whether the money made from it was enough to pay for it or not is irrelevant.
But it's easier to just call them greedy and plug our ears.

mgrev

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
He was sued over a month ago. Why are sites reporting it now?

Also, he's been doing this for 5 years now (or this would have been the 5th annual party), and the $4000 is based on those 5 years of infringement. Be aware that lawyer fees far exceed this amount.
bcuz clickbait

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was sued over a month ago. Why are sites reporting it now?

Also, he's been doing this for 5 years now (or this would have been the 5th annual party), and the $4000 is based on those 5 years of infringement. Be aware that lawyer fees far exceed this amount.
I didn't know he was doing it for 5 years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)