[Update] The new Pokemon rumors (Let's go Eevee/Pikachu)

It's nearing E3 once more, which means rumors at in full force. And with a Pokemon title inevitably on the horizon, Pokemon rumors are flooding news and discussion sites. Once more, we find ourselves questioning what's real or fake.

Back on April Fools, there was a post made on 4chan. Such things from there are always assumed to be a meme or fake post. Based_AF Media also further confirmed the 4chan post, but it should be known that they are a relatively unheard of news site, possibly looking for easy hits.

DdKWTuoWkAAcueX.jpg

This "leak" states that the upcoming game would be a Yellow remake, and would have Pokemon Go integration.

Emily Rogers further fueled the fire by hinting at the name of the games potentially having some link to the mobile title Pokemon GO, and that mainline Pokemon and Pokemon Go could benefit from each other.

SoulCalibur V would be out for the Wii U: FALSE
Nintendo would launch a huge quirky shooter for the Wii U: TRUE (Splatoon)
Smash would be on Switch and launch 2018: TRUE
Nintendo and Ubisoft were making a strategy game: TRUE (M & R Kingdom Battle)
Pokemon and Pikmin 4 would launch before March 2018: FALSE
Mother 3 would be ported to the Wii U: FALSE (We did get Earthbound Beginnings though)
Female Link would be playable in BOTW: FALSE
GameCube Virtual Console would be a reveal at E3 2017: FALSE
BOTW would be pushed back for simul Wii U/Switch release: TRUE

pokemon_switch_rumour_logo.jpg

Twitter user "Nibel" also Retweeted the image of the supposed logo, giving further credence. Nibel's rumor history includes correctly guessing that there would be a new Insomniac Games Spiderman title, the existence of a PS4 Pro (at the time, codeword Neo), and a Catherine remake for Vita/PS4. Nibel has also claimed that Retro is working on yet another Donkey Kong Country game for the Switch, but this one is still unverified.

Translated, the text in the Logo translates to "Let's Go Pikachu!", once more adding onto the idea of a Pokemon Yellow remake. Even more ridiculously, an image from a few months earlier made its rounds on the internet, showing what appeared to just be a slightly edited image of Sun/Moon. In it...you can see none other than an Eevee perched onto the trainer's head. This corroborates the Let's go Eevee! part of the rumor over at 4chan. Plus the part about Sun/Moons HMs-replaced-by-Pokemon, as well.

download (1).jpg

Then we have something a bit more vague. Twitter user PixelPar uploaded a video saying he'd been hinting the whole time at this, through little drawings of Pokemon Yellow he'd been doing up to the official announcement of the game.

EDIT:

The day after this was written, an entity has claimed the domain names for both of the game's names. Not only that, but one of Kotaku's lead writers also followed up on the Pokemon Go portion of the rumor:

https://www.whois.com/whois/pokemonletsgopikachu.com

wYyskzf.png

The domain owner has previously registered Pokemon game names in the past, as well. Nintendo isn't mentioned anywhere within the documents, though, which deviates from previous domain registrations, where they've always been named as the owner in some form. And now the Official Pokemon JP site is heavily using both Pikachu and Eevee in marketing.

And, as of right now, that's everything involving this specific rumor. What do you think? Real? Fake? Is this the equivalent of Rayman in Smash once more?​

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Would you rather go back to having HM slaves in your party?
The Pokemon you could call on in S/M were fun, but I feel like it sort of took a sense of the puzzle part out of the games. I remember climbing that mountain in D/P and realizing I needed rock climb, only to have to delete some cool move my Torterra had, because I didn't want to go get an HM slave all the way back at the PC. Or having to teach a Pokemon Flash because some random cave in the endgame of R/S needed it for no explained reason. It's not entirely the fault of including the new non-HM style, but I think there's some bit of explorability that's been missing in more recent games due to how streamlined and linear things are now.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
latest

Thankfully this sounds like a load of BS to me. They're not going to take out a huge portion of the game (finding and capturing Pokemon) just to integrate Niantic's nearly-featureless game. Or if they do, it'll be an optional way of catching Pokemon to transfer over. Even that I kinda doubt given how much it would fuck with progression, you can quickly catch a lot of otherwise rare Pokemon in Go.
That's how I see it as well. Transferring pokemon wouldn't really add anything to either game, so I can't see them adding this. They like to link their games, so there could be a "link to your pokemon go trainer ID" option on the same screen as mystery link and whatnot. Add some "meh" rewards, or exclusive stuff maybe, between go and this new game. Basically try and motivate people to play both games, rather than incorporating gaming mechanics. I mean, the switch doesn't exactly have gps...unless they mean AR. which they don't, because the switch also doesn't have a back-facing camera (or front even). So yeah, there's no way.

what if you've caught it in pokemon go, you can do that "search for this pokemon" thing they had in sun/moon? help you track down that pokemon easier? I could see that happening. Not sure if it would work in reverse though.

OH, or just, to catch the pokemon, you use the touch-screen to "throw" the ball. which might be related to that whole "redesign" of how we battle in the new game....

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: Xzi

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ya it well.
srs pokemon just fumbles around and you throw stuff at it just breaks any fun whatsoever really, its nice and all for safari zone and likes but not for the entire game, how are you suposed to even train? buying crappy stuff to lvl up like in go? lol

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: leerpsp

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
catching pokemons is like in pokemon go... so no actual battles? lol if they make the next mainline pokemon as empty and boring as pokemon go it will kill the pokemon IPs right there...
it could be more of a "rather than pressing a button, you have to physically throw it with the touch-screen", rather than completely removing the battle mechanic.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it could be more of a "rather than pressing a button, you have to physically throw it with the touch-screen", rather than completely removing the battle mechanic.
Id much rather use the buttons then the touch-screen if they do have that mechanic i also hope they keep the old ones as well.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yeah and then people playing on tv will throws their joycons to the sreen, and if using wiiu pro controller no idea what they would do, seems some gimmiky like crap, first weaken and then you still have to it it several times and hope to catch it, so im guessing everyone will need to carry around near 100 pokeballs at a time for any noone crappy pokemon lol.

Frezgle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nearly everything about this sounds like butt. The screenshot is ugly, and even as someone who plays Pokemon GO, I do not enjoy its catching method and I don't even see how it would work without touchscreen.
(Unless you're gonna tell me that the game is handheld-only, because then I'll really ree).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte