[UPDATE] The 100 lost PAL SNES games have been recovered

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by matpower, Feb 14, 2017.

1. matpower
    OP

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    549px-PAL-SNES.png
    byuu, creator of the cycle-accurate SNES emulator higan and behind a preservation project for SNES games, has killed the project after a loss of 100 PAL games during shipping. While he still plans to dump the Japanese games that he bought, the hopes of getting a complete PAL set are gone.

This is a great loss to the emulation scene and its attempt at preserving the original systems accurately. Some people are suggesting byuu to set up a Patreon/GoFundMe and he seems okay with the idea if he can fully pay back for what was lost this time.

:arrow: Source
    :arrow: byuu's overview

EDIT: Feb 23

It appears that the games have been recovered! The $10,000 collection of rare Super Nintendo games are no longer missing. According to the USPS, the games were actually lost, due to the label ripping off, rather than the rumors of package theft that had been floating around. Byuu, the person behind the project now says the SNES Preservation Project is no longer dead. In the linked blog post below, Byuu writes that had the media not covered this incident, these games would have sat in a facility for months, before ultimately winding up in an auction. There was a clear address on the box, even after the label had been damaged. He says while the project will continue on in the years to come, but he will never trust the postal service with larger shipments due to this issue.

If you donated to his Patreon to help recover the cost of the lost games, Byuu is offering a full refund.

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Chary, Feb 23, 2017

2. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    This sucks. if they really stole the games, hope that it can sue in someway those greedy bastards ;/

Raylight, Daggot, I pwned U! and 3 others like this.
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    SEE! Told you USPS is awful. I been saying that for months. :glare:

PROOF OF MY CLAIM INTO THE FUTURE. click here :ninja:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Feb 16, 2017
    maorninja, Raylight, migles and 2 others like this.
  4. ScarletDreamz

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Been there with you buddy.... been there.....

5. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
  6. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    and I'm thinking stuff like that only happens here in Brazil .. there's a year I got a 2DS shipped from UK and it never come :/
    Not comparing my loss with his, but it's still not a nice thing to have our stuff lost

Last edited by Sliter, Feb 15, 2017
    MarkDarkness likes this.
  7. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    what if people donated the cartridges he needed? I'm unsure why the preservation project is ending because of a postal mistake. I understand he is buying the games so monetarily it's draining but I mean that shouldn't stop things if people simply send him carts without wanting anything for it or if a gofundme is initiated to help him pay the games off.

8. matpower
    OP

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Basically, he feels guilty about asking someone to send him 10k dollars in games and losing it during shipping. Right now he's trying to track them down or at least claim insurance for the guy. It's mostly guilt that killed the project. Here's byuu's overview on his official webpage.

9. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Those 100 games were worth around $10k, and were basically lent to him... understandable why he's given up with that kind of figure. What I don't understand however is why the right level of insurance wasn't placed on the package, or perhaps better still, why byuu didn't fly over with the dumping equipment in the first place and do it that way - could've really gone about this in a better way (though that's hindsight for you)

Maximilious, Smash Br0 and Chary like this.
  10. matpower
    OP

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    He wrote an overview today about the incident, basically he didn't want to go to a foreign country alone where he can't understand the language, he also couldn't send the dumper itself as he's using a special one-of-its-kind setup.

mightymuffy likes this.
  11. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    what did the guy do? give him his rarest games first? I mean on average that means each game was $100. Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me but I will say it was still silly to do such large lots in the first place.

Hopefully the insurance goes through and everything can be put back on track (hopefully under a new shipping company)

12. ScarletDreamz

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    You do know the prices of semi rare games, right? also he said that the games he tries to dump, come with boxes, so he can scan the covers and labels.

13. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Regardless of the reason he is claiming dead on the project, USPS needs something done about it, to think i signed a petition to keep my local post office open. :glare:

Sick of seeing stuff like this come up all over the place, back when i used to think fedex was bad, (throwing fragile packages over fences cause they either was too lazy to walk up to the front door, or just didn't wanna deal with a dog or some other excuse) Is irritating and wrong. :angry:

jupitersj, ov3rkill and Sick Wario like this.
  14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I hope whoever is responsible gets a swift kick to the balls with a steel-toed boot. To hell with the one responsible for losing the package.

15. Sonic Angel Knight
    This message by Sonic Angel Knight has been removed from public view by Depravo, Feb 15, 2017, Reason: pointless video post.
    Feb 15, 2017
  16. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    50 years from now on:
    Byuu's grandson gets a package addressed to Byuu.
    It's the 100 SNES games.

I've seen it happen before, people receiving packages and or mail that has been lost in the mail for decades.

It's a bummer none the less.

17. ZeroX504

ZeroX504 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2016
    United States
    I told a lot of people in my community, don't use US Postal Services if you don't want to get your stuff stolen. Long story short, I had proof of one of the USPS guys stealing some memory cards three years ago and as soon as I confronted the guy to question him ( WITH PROOF ON HAND ) he calls the police and I almost get arrested, I filed a complain and never got a favorable response on that matter. I truly hope they go bankrupt and disappear.
    It sucks to see such a nice plan go to waste but I would totally support a Patreon/GoFundMe to get this thing going again.

18. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    If the responsible knows what's doing, the carts are cooling off in containers on some harbor in china by now. Go track them.

19. Xen0

Xen0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Gambia, The
    To put it simply, he's a guy wanting to dumb every game?

20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yes, he wants to dump as many games as he can. and then some dingus decided to "lose" the package.

21. PartyBoy666
    This message by PartyBoy666 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Feb 15, 2017, Reason: trash.
    Feb 15, 2017
  22. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    For sorting boxes, most of the time management/supervisors want it done in a certain time period. So, you end up throwing the boxes onto a pallet, line, whatever you use, thus breaks in the process. Tis why I never will buy a TV from work. Plus could come broken during shipment to store because Distribution fucked up. I don't know if that's the case with USPS, FedEx and UPS. I work in the back and handle fragile stuff with care.

MarkDarkness likes this.