Status
Not open for further replies.

UPDATE: SEGA ends Sonic and Archie Comic partnership

image.jpeg

For 24 years, Archie Comics' and Sonic the Hedgehog have been partnered to create the longest-running video game comic series. However, after a hiatus that started earlier this year, SEGA of America has announced that the two will be parting ways. The current comic series will be ending, but SEGA said future endeavors are planned for Sonic comics, with a new team behind it. The series started in 1993, and has more than 300 issues, with multiple side series and spinoffs.

UPDATE: SEGA is going with IDW Publishing for further installments of Sonic Comics.

:arrow: Source

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw man, this sucks not only for the fans, but also for the artists that are going to have to look for work now.

And to Ken Penders ---
Get bent, you Sonic-OC copyrighting, trademark trolling piece of scum.

If you don't know who Ken Penders is, he's the reason the comic started to die.

This rotund wank was hired in the 90s to do the Knuckles the Echidna stories (They SUUUUUCKED). In 2009, he secretly copyrighted the (original the) Echidna characters and decided to sue Sega and Bioware over Sonic Chronicles' echidna characters.

Penders lost, then sued them again, and lost with prejudice.

Then, Penders turned to suing Archie for ownership of the Knuckles series, as well as the echidna characters.

This time, the little troll decided to use a contract that Archie lost in an office fire against them. Archie agreed to settle out of court, and were forced to retcon and reboot the entire series of comics, removing each and every one of Ken Pender's precious OCs.

Then, Sega, sweating its britches in fear of more lawsuits, imposed new strict guidelines for Archie. Such as, no crying, no strong emotion, no romance, etc.

What's worse is that in the new Sonic game, Sega decided remove the option to be make the Custom Hero an echidna.

This lead to more and more collapsing of the Sega-Archie partnership -- long hiatuses, retconned pages, Archie killing off other comics to focus on their new Riverdale series, etc.

And now, the death of the Sonic comic.

Now, you might be wondering, what did that Ken Penders fellow do with his precious OCs?

Well....

rlrprlyzfr4y.jpg

Lien-Da-Penders-CGI-TSSZ-Copy.jpg
This is meant to be sold to kids, by the way.

TL;DR Work for hire hack sued Sega and Archie for his ORIGINAL Knuckles the Echidna OCs (DO NOT STAEL) and started the steady death of the Sonic Comics.
Thank goodness the sonic comic series is being picked up by IDW. Their teenage mutant ninja turtles comic series is great. They also have ghostbusters and other series as well. I agree with the ken penders part which is a shame because i really like a lot of the characters and possibly storylines he made for the sonic series.

Last edited by cvskid,

Yokimari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, I remember reading this comic when I was younger, it's a shame that it's dead, but it was dying a long time before that, the comic was going downhill for years.

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
bluesunstudios.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Does anything ever go right for Sonic the Hedgehog outside of the Genesis era that isn't based on Colors, Generations, or the Genesis era itself? Don't get me wrong, I loved the SA1–SatBK era (despite it being the "dork age" for Sonic) but Sonic's just going to continue digging himself in a hole unless he sticks to the "gotta go fast" formula until it doesn't sell which I predict won't be much longer outside of the diehard "classic" fans (and there are other games out there that emphasize on speed and more much better than Sonic has ever done).

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since circa Anno Domini 2017 we have nowadays IDW Sonic Comics. Thanks to Ken Penders lawsuit in 2008 Sega,Archie Comics,Sonic Team,Bioware. Tiara Boobowski appeared in Archie Sonic Comics only twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1