[UPDATE] Rumor: "upgraded" Nintendo Switch to launch early next year

Nintendo_Switch_Logo.png

Such rumors have made the news every so often: Nintendo plans a new Switch model. Back in 2019, The Wall Street Journal reported that Nintendo was working on two Switch models: one with enhanced features targeted at avid gamers and the other towards more casual gamers. Later that year, we saw the launch of the Switch Lite but we have yet to see the "enhanced" version. Earlier this year Nintendo said that it has no plans for a new Switch model in 2020. So maybe they have plans for one in 2021? That might be the case according to a new report from Taiwanese newspaper, United Daily News.

According to translations from Resetera and Google translation of the news source, the new Switch model will begin production in Q4 2020, with an expected launch for Q1 2021. The biggest changes to the upgraded model will include improved 'interactivity' and display quality. United Daily News cites its source as numerous hardware manufacturers that work on parts for current Switch models. But as always, take these news with a pinch of salt.

Would you like to see an upgraded Switch model akin to the DSi? Or would you rather have Nintendo's new console compete directly to the PS5 and Xbox Series X?

[UPDATE]

A new report from Bloomberg also claims that Nintendo plans "an upgraded model of its Switch console next year" that will release along with "a lineup of new games".

The report notes that while specifications haven't been finalized, Nintendo is looking to include "more computing power and 4K high-definition graphics" in this upgraded model.

Bloomberg claims its sources are people briefed on Nintendo's strategy but asked not to be identified as it’s private, but its news seems to corroborate that made by United Daily News earlier.

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: UPDATE SOURCE

ZoNtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
If it is a new gen, I wonder if Nintendo will release Mario Kart 9 or just Mario Kart 8 with 100 hundred old courses.
this, hopefully we get a new Mario Kart.

haven't spend much time on MK8D because I already spend hundred of hours on the WiiU version

ital

Trophies
XP
Whatever it is I just hope they go back to their usual build quality as the Switch feels very cheap and flimsy.

If they crank out the same level of DS - DS Lite leap in terms of appeal then I'll pick one up as I got rid of mine real quick as it gave me strong paid tester/rushed to market vibes much like the original DS did.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NVIDIA Shield update makes its 4K upscaling even better

Looks like the image processing tech is most likely what Big N will use and will get a taste when it comes to GeForce Now games in a couple of days when the app updates

Philipp_94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So basically rip og and lite models. I don't see Nintendo developing mario, Zelda or other Nintendo content for the 'old' switch gen anymore.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know how relevant this is.

But as everyone knows the Nintendo Switch is coming to Brazil, the development kits have been approved for Anatal here, In April even before the announcement of the Nintendo Switch here in Brazil we had the development kit for the Switch and Switch Lite approved here by Anatel

HAC-001-(-01)
HAT-001 : Nintendo Switch
HDH-001 : Nintendo Switch Lite
HDH-002 : Developer Kit for Switch Lite

In addition to the controls, the JoyCons (HAC-015 and HAC-016) and the Switch Pro Controller (HAC-013)

But last night Anatel added a new model identified as '' HAT-002 '' to their base of homologation

At Anatel it also indicates to be a new model of the Nintendo Switch, but has no hardware details or anything like that
ANATEL-Scrn27082020-2.jpg

The FCC also added to its registration base an approval for the HAT-002 model:

FCC-Scrn27082020.png

Last edited by Moon164,

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how relevant this is.

But as everyone knows the Nintendo Switch is coming to Brazil, the development kits have been approved for Anatal here, In April even before the announcement of the Nintendo Switch here in Brazil we had the development kit for the Switch and Switch Lite approved here by Anatel

HAT-001 : Nintendo Switch
HDH-001 : Nintendo Switch Lite
HDH-002 : Developer Kit for Switch Lite

In addition to the controls, the JoyCons (HAC-015 and HAC-016) and the Switch Pro Controller (HAC-013)

But last night the FCC and Anatel added a new model identified as '' HAT-002 '' to their base of homologation

At Anatel it also indicates to be a new model of the Nintendo Switch, but has no hardware details or anything like that
ANATEL-Scrn27082020-2.jpg

FCC-Scrn27082020.png
Normal Switch is HAC-001.
HAT-001 is SDEV
HAT-002 is EDEV.
The FCC thing was just the Mariko revision of EDEV. Nothing special.

Reactions: Darkworld92

nitroflux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right now I can't see any reasons to upgrade, so as long as new games will be compatible with the current Switch I'm happy :)

my thoughts exactly - i very much doubt that nintendo would block off a huge percentage of the existing switch userbase anyhow - they've released an accessible piece of kit with a large catalogue that's selling extremely well globally. shrugging everyone off a year from now would be absolute insanity...

Bl4aze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Such rumors have made the news every so often: Nintendo plans a new Switch model. Back in 2019, The Wall Street Journal reported that Nintendo was working on two Switch models: one with enhanced features targeted at avid gamers and the other towards more casual gamers. Later that year, we saw the launch of the Switch Lite but we have yet to see the "enhanced" version. Earlier this year Nintendo said that it has no plans for a new Switch model in 2020. So maybe they have plans for one in 2021? That might be the case according to a new report from Taiwanese newspaper, United Daily News.

According to translations from Resetera and Google translation of the news source, the new Switch model will begin production in Q4 2020, with an expected launch for Q1 2021. The biggest changes to the upgraded model will include improved 'interactivity' and display quality. United Daily News cites its source as numerous hardware manufacturers that work on parts for current Switch models. But as always, take these news with a pinch of salt.

Would you like to see an upgraded Switch model akin to the DSi? Or would you rather have Nintendo's new console compete directly to the PS5 and Xbox Series X?

[UPDATE]

A new report from Bloomberg also claims that Nintendo plans "an upgraded model of its Switch console next year" that will release along with "a lineup of new games".

The report notes that while specifications haven't been finalized, Nintendo is looking to include "more computing power and 4K high-definition graphics" in this upgraded model.

Bloomberg claims its sources are people briefed on Nintendo's strategy but asked not to be identified as it’s private, but its news seems to corroborate that made by United Daily News earlier.

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: UPDATE SOURCE
Sounds like a new 3ds situation. except i expect it may be upgraded to the level of like ps4 or xbox one. Which would be fucking amazing but im not sure. Will drop all my money on this if that is the case.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's kind of... disappointing. Unless they can somehow overclock an X1+ past the clock speeds in the Shield Pro.
They can go upto 1267mhz on GPU and 1963-2091mhz on CPU depending on binning (dunno which binning Switch has, would need SKU from fuses).
Which would be a good upgrade over the current 1020mhz/768mhz CPU/GPU speeds :P

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They can go upto 1267mhz on GPU and 1963-2091mhz on CPU depending on binning (dunno which binning Switch has, would need SKU from fuses).
Which would be a good upgrade over the current 1020mhz/768mhz CPU/GPU speeds :P

More like a "Pro" dock with aditional colling system to maintain the cpu temperature, and proper LAN conection ffs, still to this day I find the LAN adapter as the dumbest thing ever.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More like a "Pro" dock with aditional colling system to maintain the cpu temperature, and proper LAN conection ffs, still to this day I find the LAN adapter as the dumbest thing ever.
They won't do a special new dock that enables higher clockspeeds or anything, would be way too complicated and cause a shit ton of confusion.
Also the Switch's cooling is fine :P

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    die?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes I'm in mortal danger
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes I'm in mortal danger