[UPDATE] Rumor: "upgraded" Nintendo Switch to launch early next year

Nintendo_Switch_Logo.png

Such rumors have made the news every so often: Nintendo plans a new Switch model. Back in 2019, The Wall Street Journal reported that Nintendo was working on two Switch models: one with enhanced features targeted at avid gamers and the other towards more casual gamers. Later that year, we saw the launch of the Switch Lite but we have yet to see the "enhanced" version. Earlier this year Nintendo said that it has no plans for a new Switch model in 2020. So maybe they have plans for one in 2021? That might be the case according to a new report from Taiwanese newspaper, United Daily News.

According to translations from Resetera and Google translation of the news source, the new Switch model will begin production in Q4 2020, with an expected launch for Q1 2021. The biggest changes to the upgraded model will include improved 'interactivity' and display quality. United Daily News cites its source as numerous hardware manufacturers that work on parts for current Switch models. But as always, take these news with a pinch of salt.

Would you like to see an upgraded Switch model akin to the DSi? Or would you rather have Nintendo's new console compete directly to the PS5 and Xbox Series X?

[UPDATE]

A new report from Bloomberg also claims that Nintendo plans "an upgraded model of its Switch console next year" that will release along with "a lineup of new games".

The report notes that while specifications haven't been finalized, Nintendo is looking to include "more computing power and 4K high-definition graphics" in this upgraded model.

Bloomberg claims its sources are people briefed on Nintendo's strategy but asked not to be identified as it’s private, but its news seems to corroborate that made by United Daily News earlier.

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: UPDATE SOURCE

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... 4K would just add more overhead to frame rates and put us back where are now. As long as they keep the directional buttons and just make everything fast enough so most if not all games can stay at 1080p60 then I'm fine.

Bowl0l

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
That makes the argumentation for the name "Nintendo Switch", the console which can be played everywhere, a bit useless. We don't need a shitty 4k resolution or a stationary console only.
The Switch: Ability to switch playing handheld and on a TV. The company abandoned that concept by releasing Switch Lite

Reactions: RichardTheKing

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... 4K would just add more overhead to frame rates and put us back where are now. As long as they keep the directional buttons and just make everything fast enough so most if not all games can stay at 1080p60 then I'm fine.
Even just enough power to play DOOM (and other semi-demanding third-party games) at a locked 30 FPS would be a big improvement. Especially if they coupled that with first-party "pro" style joycons, like Hori's splitpad but with rumble and wireless and all the other bells and whistles.

Reactions: YugamiSekai
D

Deleted User

If what the devs have read on the firmware updates, it would probably end up being a successor of the 3DS.
a 3DS successor would be awesome!

if it‘s a more powerful switch I hope it‘s a massive (non portable) upgrade (the old switch still plays everything on the go and the new revision is a classic console without any portability).

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
The Switch: Ability to switch playing handheld and on a TV. The company abandoned that concept by releasing Switch Lite
Even this thing is useless. For me of course. Don't get me wrong, but it is a switch without everything. No rumble, no detachable joycons, ugly colors...do I have to write more?

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even this thing is useless. For me of course. Don't get me wrong, but it is a switch without everything. No rumble, no detachable joycons, ugly colors...do I have to write more?

Switch lite is $100 less and it is dedicated to portable. I have a switch lite and a OG switch. I like the lite more due to it is easier to carry.

Guess the wait will be worth it.
At least to know for sure.
OK, ill keep a little longer without a switch......maybe, I can afford one and pay it in one exhibition for once.

To be honest you are not missing much right now. Probably best you wait for all the prices to drop. I just don't see the point of buying a new version switch at $300 when next gen is like right around the corner also Nintendo barely push out brand new games mostly remakes or ports

Last edited by Goku1992A,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
we don't want a fucking 3ds successor nintendo for once fucking listen to what people want. we want a proper console with no fucking gimmicks, great 3rd party support, decent online system, and decent enough hardware to play the latest games not 10 year old ports! you can keep your shitty motion controls, portability, cardboard boxes and anything else your thinking of this gimmicky as fuck we don't want it. oh and make a proper fucking controller!!

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
we don't want a fucking 3ds successor nintendo for once fucking listen to what people want. we want a proper console with no fucking gimmicks, great 3rd party support, decent online system, and decent enough hardware to play the latest games not 10 year old ports! you can keep your shitty motion controls, portability, cardboard boxes and anything else your thinking of this gimmicky as fuck we don't want it. oh and make a proper fucking controller!!
Considering Switch is the fastest selling console of all time, I think Nintendo knows exactly what they're doing.

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Cant be bothered reading through 7 pages of comments, so my apologies if this has already been discussed or mentioned.

What they need to do is just release a new dock that has a separate and more powerful cpu and a dedicated gpu inside and more ram.
When docked, boom, instance performance boost for those that like to play on the TV.

Something along those lines, this way, keeps everyone happy.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering Switch is the fastest selling console of all time, I think Nintendo knows exactly what they're doing.

Anything can sell well that doesn't mean that it is a overall good product. I'm not saying the switch is terrible but it is far from perfect because half of the focus has been porting over Wii U games meaning they are looking "past tense" versus making fresh content. If Wii U games was important they should have made the Switch BC in the first place.

I give the Switch honestly a 6 out of 10. Not a bad system however it still have alot of work to be done. The only game I'm excited for right now on the switch is Windbound that comes out in 3 days.

@Tatsuna
I give the PS Vita 8 out of 10. It would have gotten a perfect score if Sony gave the Vita Native L2/R2 button controls.I also prefer my Vita over my switch especially because of the remote play accessing my full PS4 Library.

Last edited by Goku1992A,

Tatsuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No handheld mode haha your kidding me right. This thing main force is being a handheld aswell as console.
I believe he specifically said that "he wouldn't be interested" otherwise. It's not like he forced that on us. I for one want handheld mode for a Switch, yet if others don't, I don't see the problem with them saying it out loud.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Right now my hacked Vita is a better experience over the original switch

That's a fact. Vita is the ultimate handheld console and this is proven by its popularity when Sony themselves forsook it. It's such a great console, especially the original OLED version.

PoiRan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
4K upscale and Full HD when portable?

I don't want any big changes. And I don't think Nintendo wants either. They want to keep game experience for new and older Switches reasonably similar, but give the growing number of people owning 4K TVs a reason not to buy PS or Xbox.

Reactions: Chrisssj2

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
in japan they do but everywhere are they are the laughing stock of the industry for keeping using dated tech that can't keep up with the competition. here people don't even mention the switch ever and every store always have them in stock because no one is buying them here it's a failure. the only real reason people buy it is to hack it.

the switch what a joke it is with it's dated hardware that can't keep up with today's games, pathetic online, no online chat system, no way to invite friends or get together with them, a screen that scratches at the drop of a hat, poor vc lineup (wait WHAT VC?!) joycon drift and eshop full of 98% shovelware. it's not worse than the wiiu but it comes in second!!

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1