1. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    What? There's 3 terabytes of retroach data?

2. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity
    Developer

Germany
    2TB on current, 3TB projected on new infra.

3. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Ok but thats a full server image right? If you just wanted to backup the actual database, like source code of all branches of all platforms, plus documentation, etc surely that would compress down to far less? This is the stuff you want to backup in real time, or atleast daily.

Things like a server core image if you exclude the database, shouldn't change as often and in theory could be rebuilt from scratch if you lost the image.

4. Hambrew

Hambrew not your therapist

United States
    So... was it wrong of me to update my nightly Retroarch app?

5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    You have to take into consideration that the image also contains the build environment. For production, you need this kind of image.
    No, you're fine.
    That's good. That would require something much more than just poor authorization handling anyway, and again, this isn't a priority or pertinent to emulation itself, so it's understandable that netplay is just "meh" status. I mean, it's just a UDP connection, so there might be a way to turn it into a DoS at the very least, but I kinda doubt it.

Last edited by Joom, Aug 17, 2020
  6. Worldblender

Worldblender GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I wonder, does there exist mirrors of all the Retroarch stuff on other services such as GitLab, or that has never been considered before?

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Solution is quite simple: use Parsec. I tried it and, when the connection is good, outside of maybe some compression here and there, it's like you're playing the game in the same room with the person in terms of lag and the usual problems that are associated with streaming games.

Or does Parsec have "hacker-jumping-into-private-lobbies" problems as well?

8. mituzora

mituzora Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    At least some of the cores are hosted on AUR, so they can at least get a base of the cores from there. So that's good news at least. It's stupid that GitHub said they can't do anything. they're owned by big-pocket Microsoft, and you can't tell me they don't do something akin to VSS copies on every repository.

Worldblender and Silent_Gunner like this.
  9. tigersaman

tigersaman Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Iran
    so ... you have 3 terabyte of code and stuff on server ? how ? what do you store there ? and 7 day retention with is like 10 or 20 percent more than original so even if there is realy 3 terabytes of data it cost around 60 bucks. and 60 more bucks for another one on another datacenter. still i can't believe there is 3 terabytes of data there.

ps: I just did a quick search and it's way cheaper the more you go up in storage. your argue is totally invalid.

edit: I just read your other answers and it seems money was not a major problem. there is a lesson to be learned in this situation. i'm a website developer and i learned the lesson the hard way. BACKUP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ! :D

Last edited by tigersaman, Aug 17, 2020
    mathew77 likes this.
  10. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity
    Developer

Germany
    I know that from my own experience as well, the server doesnt run a raid and didn't have a backup in 8 years!
    Just wouldnt touch that shit without at least a copy if i cant do a snapshot, lol.
    It will take a while to clean all that up if the funding is secured.
    Talking about hundreds of Build rules for CI/CD for dozens of platforms..

ChronoTrig likes this.
  11. Silent_Gunner

United States
    You have this backed up locally, I hope? Because I don't know about Germany, but over here in the US, getting even an external 5TB HDD can be pretty cheap. I know Best Buy had a sale recently on some easystore Western Digital external HDDs that's now done, but you could get a 5TB variant of it for less than $100!

That being said, after my previous main PC went up in smokes (not literally, thank god, the mobo just died), I usually try to use the internal SSD as little as possible other than for some games here or there due to it being a M.2 drive, and data being a little bit more of a hassle to recover in terms of acquiring an adapter from what I remember.

12. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity
    Developer

Germany
    Its backed up in a german datacenter right at the backbone ;)
    Otherwise this would take a few weeks more, hah.

13. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    Someone has to have backups.

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    GitHub customer service is fucking stupid, no wonder because Microsoft owns it.

And also to the hacker who did this, you can screw off. This is such BS >.>

Lol imagine being a troll

Yeah and they're all conceited jerks too, I'm sure

Last edited by the_randomizer, Aug 17, 2020
  15. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick I'm a pickle Morty!

United States
    Do those devs plan on porting their emus to every platform RetroArch supports? Then maintaining it? NO? Then they can piss off.

Where is the native port of Gambatte to 3DS? Nestopia? Mame? FBN? Dosbox? Etc, etc...
    They don't exist? That's what I thought. The devs who hate RA for these petty reasons piss ME off.

16. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Final Burn was ported to other systems standalone before, was it not? Or have things changed over there due to the shenanigans that went down over the emulator being used in that one Capcom arcade stick that honestly kind of looks cool, but is more of a collector's item than anything.

17. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick I'm a pickle Morty!

United States
    It was but not officially and it wasn't maintained. Regardless my point is that they don't support every platform RA does. There is a tangible benefit that RA gives people that they may want to pay for.

18. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Czech Republic
    Why would anyone hack an open-source project?

19. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Because they're dicks.

20. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    as much as i like retroarch...
    you can just fuck off, this "id LOvE TO see YOu do BETTeR" attitude is complete cancer
    you shouldnt have to be an expert in emulator/frontend development to criticize an emulator or not like it

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - repositories, RetroArch, [Update]