1. 22,833

Front-page
    unnamed.png

Just a few hours ago, RetroArch/Libretro's servers and main GitHub repositories have been targeted by a yet-unknown attacker.
    The attack begun with the buildbot server being crippled, which means any subsequent automatic buildbot builds, and netplay won't be available until a new server is setup for this very purpose.

After that, and a few moments later, the hacker moved on to attack Libretro's repositories at GitHub.
    This attack removed the entirety of codes for certain cores, like Mame, Mame 2003, DosBox and many others, and only left a dummy ReadMe with a vague description of the core.

GitHub hasn't given any reply regarding what could be done in regards to the hacking to the GitHub repositories, but we'll keep updating this post as things go along.
    The full overview of the attack and what was compromised on Libretro's side can be seen on their main Libretro.com page.

UPDATE:
    GitHub has replied back to Libretro, with the sad news that they don't have a way to restore or have a backup of the repositories Libretro had before the hack. It seems the restoration of the repositories will have to be done (alongside the help of other users) through full commit pushes that hold the entire history of the repositories:

UPDATE #2:
    Libretro has restored the vast majority of the repositories back to shape. The only downside has been the loss of recent Pull Request:

UPDATE #3:
    The buildbot is now back online, though not at the same extend as it was before the attack
    http://buildbot.libretro.com/

Right now some builds for multiple platforms have been compiled, but some of those builds might be prone to failure.
    I recommend trying them out only if you have your previous build backed up in case some compilation went bad.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (131 replies)

3. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    wow...... yet no reason why?

4. ShadowOne333

OP ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO
    Developer

Mexico
    Still no news that I know of.
    It's unknown why the attack was made and/or if GitHub has responded.
    I'll keep an eye out for any update

LittlestCube, Sterophonick and KiiWii like this.
  5. ShadowOne333

OP ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO
    Developer

Mexico
    LittlestCube and lordelan like this.
  6. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    Codex got a new job! :rofl2:

But seriously,sounds like some dude figured out a password. Most people probably wouldn't even notice, unless they try to update their cores right now.

Edit: dang they didn't have backups?

Last edited by TheCasualties, Aug 17, 2020
  7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    Is it just me, or does it seem like hackers have been more active than usual this year? Because it seems like a lot of high profile hacks/leaks/and breaches have occurred regarding stuff that's kind of trivial, all things considered.

Like, I remember when hacking groups would target corporations because said corporations were corrupt and/or in the moral wrong, but now, Nintendo's gotten three/four different leaks this year, and now we have RetroArch getting hacked.

Last edited by Silent_Gunner, Aug 17, 2020
  8. nashismo

nashismo GBAtemp Fan

Chile
    Yes, while the true corrupt/liars get away with it. All the FAKE virus planners and the economy killers they are all happy laughing and no one does nothing to unveil their bullshit.

In oher words, I agree.

SpiffyJUNIOR and Immortallix like this.
  9. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Utterly senseless... yet at the same time probably the proudest moment of the sad individual/team responsible.

10. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Fuckin' weak man. No clue who could possibly hold a grudge against RetroArch, or for what reason.

Xabring and IncredulousP like this.
  11. Dogson

Dogson Member
    Newcomer

Sweden
    That hack wasn't this year, it was a hack back in 2016~2017, just one Nintendo internal server hack through iQue, once they noticed iQue requesting too much data they cut that off. The hacker who went by the name wack0 was caught and is serving a type of house arrest now. He also hacked into Microsoft during that time. Those were actual hacks unlike the Twitter scam which was a authority bluff through phone calls to gain access, and with libretro we don't know yet if it was an actual hack.

Anyway, someone else got hold of the supposedly 2TB of Nintendo data and has since been slowly releasing it, at first with some false misleading stories of it being beta cartridge dumps from a collector to muddy the traces. The Space World Pokemon leak and Pokemon Blue backsprites from two years ago, all from that same Nintendo server hack, we've since gotten a lot more betas and source codes, this will continue for a few more years for sure.

Hope that clears up what has been going on. People for some reason think Nintendo was hacked multiple times in a year, which doesn't sound probable or make sense if you think about it.

Last edited by Dogson, Aug 17, 2020
    TheCasualties and Silent_Gunner like this.
  12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    "no backups"
    How much data are we talking here? Sort of thing the average computer person with the average internet connection would be able to grab often enough?
    Or is this more a fault of trusting storing things on computers of others?

They have rubbed a few people the wrong way over the years. Drama happened at various points. Their licensing is often a source of contention.

I don't know if that particularly ever happened. Or at least no specific as much as "I don't like banks and really know sql injection, oh look this bank is vulnerable to a sql injection here and [checks] yep they are arseholes (though what bank isn't)".
    A hacker/hacking group targetting a specific bank would fall under the umbrella of advanced persistent threat (APT) which is generally considered a myth.

Equally is Nintendo not a dubious company?

13. Xzi

United States
    So basically male Karens and assholes who just want to see the world burn, got it. Guess some people thought 2020 wasn't quite shitty enough as-is. :angry:

Maaan this is definitely gonna affect their timeline for the Steam launch, too. :(

Xabring likes this.
  14. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    I know there was some stuff Anonymous did back in the day.

As for Nintendo, based on that one video from Modern Vintage Gamer, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of these leaks is due to someone at the chip company that's made chips for almost every major Nintendo console leaking things out due to being disgruntled for whatever reason as far as it looks to me, in addition to @Dogson said in regards to the iQue leak.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I wonder if it's that Reicast guy who had a meltdown on Reddit that led to the core name being changed to Flycast?

Xzi likes this.
  15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    As ever some of the drama was from people with egos rather too large for their position in the world but some of them had a point from where I sat, and I am still not entirely sure what they have given the world; they are more or less just a frontend from what I can make out, which is fine but hardly anything to be particularly excited about.

GotKrypto and Xzi like this.
  16. Xzi

United States
    Precisely. It shouldn't be anything worth getting angry about or taking vengeful action toward, either.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    As a random hack, sure.
    As retaliation if someone felt slighted having put in a bunch of work or time on things, could be different.

GotKrypto likes this.
  18. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola The Xbox Guy

Canada
    Oh no, I hope all the emulators which RetroArch has nothing to do with will be safe. /s

GotKrypto likes this.
  19. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Man, I know Nintendo hate people playing rooms of their 40 year old games, but damn, they've gone full militia now.

20. uludag

uludag Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Fiji
    Oh, I summon all of you 4chan lurkers :bow:
    Hunt that f***er down. Give him what he deserves.

Xzi, mathew77 and |<roni&g like this.
  21. KokoseiJ

KokoseiJ GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast

Korea, South
    Hopefully someone would have a local repository not overwritten by this incident...

GotKrypto likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - repositories, RetroArch, [Update]