[UPDATE] PS Vita firmware 3.72 released, does NOT blacklist Bitter Smile (h-encore²)

ps-vita-1-jpg.173969

UPDATE: TheFloW confirmed the previous tweets about 3.72 adding Bitter Smile to the blacklist were fake news due to him taking a separate source's word for granted. h-encore² is still working and all accompanying documentation on the GitHub repository has been updated to reflect it.

Moreover, it was also confirmed that downgrading from said firmware using modoru still causes a soft brick. Users are advised against doing so.

The updates just don't stop coming today: first the 3DS, and now it's the PS Vita's turn... however, unlike its competitor, things already seem to be bad right from the get-go. System software 3.72 has just landed and it aims to block h-encore², aka TheFloW's updated h-encore exploit for firmware versions 3.65-3.71, which was released only a few hours ago. This was achieved by adding Bitter Smile (the game used by the aforementioned tool as its entry point) to the title revoke list, thus blocking it from working to work on this system version. No official changelog is available just yet, but it doesn't look like any new features were added either.

As such, anyone interested in hacking their system is strongly advised against installing this new firmware. By doing so, you won't be able to softmod your PS Vita again until someone finds another suitable kernel exploit, which may not happen in a long while, if ever (PS: TheFloW is currently looking for help with finding a new savedata exploit). If you're already running a CFW, you should spoof your system version instead of updating. And as usual, this post will be kept up-to-date with any other useful hacking & homebrew related info.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by RattletraPM,

julianuf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony made no effort supporting the vita during its life, yet now its dead theyre supporting it with firmware updates.

Whats the point, its not like anyone really supports it anymore.

They made a ton of effort in countering hacking during the Vita's life cycle.

I do wish some of that focus (which is apparently still being put to work, regardless of the dead system status) into improving the platform and putting an actual fight against Nintendo while they still could.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is Sony getting out of this? Or is this just symbolic?
I mean I can imagine they still get reasonable money out of the Vita through PSN. Even if there's nothing new coming out, they have really good deals on the best games pretty frequently. It makes sense they'd want to limit the avenues for piracy.

That being said, it still is a shame lol

Reactions: Bimmel

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They made a ton of effort in countering hacking during the Vita's life cycle.

I do wish some of that focus (which is apparently still being put to work, regardless of the dead system status) into improving the platform and putting an actual fight against Nintendo while they still could.

I think sonys main downfall was the custom memory cards put people off, and at first all the game devs were excited to finaly have a portible console that allowed them to bring console quality titles and controls.

The lack of support off sony i think did it no favors either.

Regardless of what the downfall was, sony will never beat nintendo in the handheld market because Nintendo aim more towards kids, where as home consoles sony and microsoft do a better job when it comes to game support.

Even tho the vita didnt get great support, it does have some decent titles i prefer than what you have on the 3ds.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because there are still games that want to be released on Vita up to 2020. Sadly.
^ this.
The Vita is still seeing more (digital) titles regularly released than the 3DS is, Limited Run still have physical releases lined up for several months to come, and the Asian regions for at least another year.

Hopefully if theFlow has another exploit up his sleeve he will sit on it until the system is truly at EoL (like he promised three exploits ago). It's not like anyone hasn't had ample opportunity to exploit their systems by now, but it would be nice to know that if I need to replace either my PSTV or PSV1000 that I'll still be able to exploit it without having to track down a specific firmware.

Reactions: Ryccardo
D

Deleted User

I feel bad for TheFlow.
Discouraging your enemy is always half the battle.

Btw, where could I find a Vita at a fair price ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm