Firmware [UPDATE] PS Vita firmware 3.72 released, does NOT blacklist Bitter Smile (h-encore²)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Aug 27, 2019.

1. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    What does this mean? I don't have a Vita, so I have no idea how any of this works.

Does the update make the game itself not work anymore? And if so, isn't that a dick move towards those who have that game?

Edit: Typo

KlariNoX likes this.
  2. chocoboss

chocoboss GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2016
    France
    FRANCE
    From what I understand you can not install / run the demo anymore

3. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    It means that Sony are paying attention. In the firmware they have a list of titles that it will refuse to launch, you can't change that list on a console unless you hack it. They've added the vulnerable game to that list. I'm kinda shocked that Sony moved so quick on this.

You won't be able to use the current bitter smile demo if you update to 3.72, but it was free. I don't know if the full game has been blocked, but the exploit probably isn't directly compatible anyway & so it wouldn't be worth it. I expect Sony will give the developers a chance to fix the bug and will then restore it.

I don't feel bad, Sony have given him a new challenge. If they'd just rolled over then he wouldn't have anything new to look at.

Fair to whom? I just used ebay.

Last edited by smf, Aug 27, 2019
  4. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Sony just had to shit on last users of their ded console

The_Provider and retrofan_k like this.
  5. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Pretty sure the DSi got one not too long ago lol.... (Dunno if it blocked anything though)

6. ArugulaZ

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    "Sony doesn't want us to have any fun." Clearly evident from all those Adam Sandler movies.

Well, he gave it a shot. Man, that turnaround time was insane though, wasn't it? We're talking hours between the exploit and Sony's patch.

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Nah, the last DSi update was in 2012 :>

(fyi you can look at the bottom of http://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/reports.php, stare and marvel)

8. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    And the cat and mouse continues

GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  9. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    No, downgrade to 3.65 and then use Einso instead.

10. DJPlace

DJPlace The Hater of Sony Censor Ship!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    one day after the flow releases something new sony does this. DICK move sony DICK move.

11. HaseebTehsin

HaseebTehsin Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2019
    Canada
    Look it up in your neighborhood, look up on facebook market, I got one from there for a fairly low price in my neighborhood. You can also pay a visit to local pawnshops and see if they have something worth picking up. Another option would be to find a cheap one away from you and have them ship it to you (not necessarily ebay), requires a lot of trust but is doable.

Torina likes this.
  12. froid_san

froid_san GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2015
    downgrade is broken on 3.71, you'll get a soft brick

13. julianuf

julianuf Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    It sounds like they just disabled that game (demo?) from running.

In the past, in the early days of Vita hacking when people would launch exploits by running exploitable psp games, there would be announcements for when exploitable game names would drop, so that people knew ahead of time to watch so that they could purchase the game before Sony removed it from the psn. Because they reacted and removed those games VERY quickly.

It's actually not that surprising since this exploit is based on a game, rather than a system flaw that requires a lot of work to patch and fix.

14. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    I was going to finally get a vita as of the new exploit, but this stopped me (I probably will still get one but it'll take a minute)
    RIP bitter smile

15. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    h-encore makes use of kernel vulnerabilities that would need fixing, the game is just used to break out of userland.

Last edited by 8BitWonder, Aug 27, 2019
  16. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Nowhere near as dead as 3ds... but for some reason Nintentards seem to care about other peoples enjoyment of "dead" systems - personally, I've bought more games for "dead" systems in the period since the Switch launched than I have for current, "alive", systems.

cvskid likes this.
  17. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    @RattletraPM TheFLow is asking for help again in searching for a new userland entrypoint.
    Not sure if this is something you'd want to add to the OP, but figured to throw it out there.

18. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Thanks for unrelated intel

19. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    well then... that's bad

20. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    It's not completely relevant to the topic, but I don't think adding a link to it when talking about the possibility of future exploits will hurt anyone :P
    Thanks for the heads-up!