Firmware [UPDATE] PS Vita firmware 3.71 released, patches Trinity exploit chain completely

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Jul 23, 2019.

1. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
  2. SapphireExile

SapphireExile Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2018
    United States
    Plant City, FL
    I see a lot of people here complaining that they shouldn't have updated the Vita.
    Just because the Vita is old doesn't mean it doesn't deserve updates. In the end, Sony is still a profit based company, and there are still a ton of Vita's in the wild. Sure, they could have just let it die, but considering a write-up was already done, and the exploits were publicly available, getting this patch up wouldn't have taken much. From what I can tell, it's still a daily driver for many in Japan, as well as outlying countries outside of the US.
    Simply makes sense to release an update. Easy to do, easy to patch, get it done with.

My personal Vita will remain un-updated.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  3. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    *sensible chuckle*

4. IP60

IP60 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2018
    Canada
    lol I knew someone had another card up their sleeve

5. lincruste

lincruste GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2008
    Antarctica
    france
    Which means they actively seek to prevent piracy from people who actually buy games.
    I guess Amiga emulation HAS to be prohibited for paying customers.

6. coffinbirth

coffinbirth GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    He really should've waited a gooood while longer before releasing the documentation telling Sony EXACTLY what to patch, lol.

cvskid likes this.
  7. Reynardine

Reynardine Wrote in ancient letters, my name is Reynardine

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Negativland
    One reason why I never considered hacking my Vita were the expensive proprietary memory cards.
    I just found out that there's SD card adapters available for cheap and ordered one.

It's kind of ironic, if it wasn't for this news report about Trinity being patched by Sony I probably wouldn't have bothered hacking my console. Can't wait to see how retroarch performs on Vita. The Switch may be more powerful, but it's just too big to carry around...

Last edited by Reynardine, Jul 24, 2019
  8. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    so if i read correctly i need to get one on 3.69 or lower or 3.70 will auto update to 3.71? what about blocking sony's servers like for ps3/ps4?

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    The Vita doesn't auto-update, it simply auto downloads the update. You will always be prompted to install it first, so there's 0 chance your Vita will automatically be upgraded to 3.71.

You can also block updates by setting this as your primary DNS: 212.47.229.76 It should also let you access the PSN Store if you're on 3.70, so you can download a PSP game/demo for the Trinity exploit.

Reynardine likes this.
  10. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    oh ok then thanks for the response. although i think you should hack it one day or whenever because it really gives you alot of advantages that the stock fw doesn't give you.

11. teamlocust

teamlocust Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2017
    India
    Lol will sony just fucking give up. Same like how nintendo updated the wiiu for no apparent reaso

12. ninfas

ninfas Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I am in UK and have just ordered a brand new Japanese vita from a seller on ebay selling lots of units. What is the most likely firmware it will be on?

If it is 3.69/3.70, can I set up a UK PSN account and download the the UK game to hack using trinity it or do I have to set up a Jap PSN Account and download the jap game to hack it?

Also if I decide to use trinity exploit on my vita later, can I just download the game to my PC an install from my PC at a later date?

I am new to this so any help would be appreciated

Last edited by ninfas, Jul 24, 2019
  13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Sony stopped production on the Vita, so no brand new unopened Vita will ship with 3.70+ on it. If it has 3.70+, it was probably opened at some point.

And the Vita is region free, so you can use whatever region account you'd like, no need to use JP on a JP.

You can't download the game directly to your PC, but you can download it on the Vita and then use the content manager to transfer it over to your PC, which would allow it to be used with any Vita you link that PSN account to. But you should download the PSP demo/game sooner rather than later, as Sony will remove PS Store access on 3.70 at some point in the near future.

14. 71r3n

71r3n GBAtemp Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Germany
    Always hates ppl like them.
    "Hey guys, seee weeeeeeee (yeah weeee) got an exploit.
    Wer poured hours of reverse engineering in it, showing everyone on twitter, fb and all that other socialmediacrap what we did.
    But we dont release it... cause we can!"
    Back in my shooldays, you would get smacked for a behavior like that...

15. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Once you're downgraded and running enso, why do you want to go to 3.70? Just install refood, spoof version to 3.71 and use that.

MKKhanzo likes this.
  16. edilima

edilima Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2019
    Brazil
    OMG, I have ordered a pre-owned locked Vita Slim in very mint condition and running 3.65 OFW two days ago. Beautiful device, white and lemon green color. No scratches at all. Like brand new.

The seller has shipped it yesterday and guess what. He told me that when he deactivated his account in order to reset to factory settings, the system asked to update to 3.71. So what did he do ? The motherf$&@?! updated the device to 3.71 before shipping it to me.

How I need TheFlow back to the scene or at least st4rk release his wonderful WebKit hack. Yes, I’m very ready for the Miracle.

Last edited by edilima, Jul 25, 2019
  17. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Yeah, there isn't really much point.

MKKhanzo likes this.
  18. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    As it was sold as 3.65 then why not just say it's not as described?

19. edilima

edilima Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2019
    Brazil

That’s probably what I am gonna do. Not sure yet. The problem is that I’m so sad because it was extremely difficult to find this like brand new device in these colors.

I’m also considering to keep the device and wait for 3.71 to be jailbreaked. What do you think ?

20. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    That depends on how disappointed you'll be if it never happens.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted