[UPDATE] Platinum Games says Astral Chain was developed with intentions of being part of a trilogy

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jun 26, 2019.

Front-page
    3Sqr5oQ.

Releasing in the coming months is one of the bigger third-party exclusives for the Nintendo Switch--Astral Chain--which is being developed by the beloved Platinum Games. During an interview with IGN Benelux, the director of Astral Chain, Takahisa Taura, commented on if the game would have any DLC, saying that while there's no DLC planned for release, Platinum has developed this new IP with the intentions of it being the first part of a trilogy. In terms of story, there's enough content to cover two more games in the future. However, whether we see those sequels in the future relies on how well Astral Chain sells, when it releases on August 30th.

:arrow: Source

KingVamp, Skelletonike, Xzi and 3 others like this.
    Discussion (70 replies)
  1. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    They should have called it Astral Link. It will only become a chain if they release sequels.

2. IHOP

IHOP GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2018
    United States
    Is it just me or does this game seem the least interesting out of Nintendo's lineup this year? It doesn't even necessarily look bad its just i have no excitement towards this game.

Maximilious likes this.
  3. warweeny

warweeny GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2011
    Netherlands
    Yes, everyone is waiting for boring monotonous fighting like all platinum games have and then expect to sell millions with the knowledge that it is not ending.

Good marketing everyone.

4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    show me the ip that isn't writen in a way that it could be continued... like jesus, of course

5. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Not all Platinum games are slashers. So not always fighting is the core of their games.

From what I see they want another story driven game like Automata.

Last edited by masagrator, Jun 26, 2019
  6. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    And here I hoped it would be a standalone IP without any intention to continue it further.
    I was wrong. i'm not impressed. Planning ahead of time usually comes with a risk.

7. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    From the first trailer this game looked awesome. Now I have seen gameplay since E3 I'm kind of put off after seeing it set in a open world environment. I hate how games follow this path. I prefer linear levels like Bayonetta. I'll wait for reviews.

8. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

Oct 27, 2014
    United States
    I actually think this is the most underrated game coming to the switch for third parties. I haven't played many platinum games but the gameplay and trailers for this one looks fun.

9. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    Oh, so it wasn't made as filler for Nintendo Directs?

10. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2016
    United States
    What happened to Bayonetta 3?

11. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    IS THIS GAME funded by nintendo? afak Platinum usually release games on multiple platforms.

12. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    I don't think your opinion matters to us.

13. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Bayonetta 2 is not multi-platform. They have both multi-platform and exclusive titles.

14. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Bayonetta 2 and sequel are financially funded by nintendo, that's why they are tied to ninty's consoles, what about Astral chain? is this funded by nintendo too?

15. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    That's a way to make people don't want to play the game. Because videogame conpanies are crashing like flies into Fly zappers.

What you do is make a decent game with a real ending and then make a sequel if the game sells well.

And NEVER EVER give level editors to the fans because that kills the franchise or at least means you have to wait several years, so the graphics look way better, to release a sequel.

Unless the whole point of the game is making levels and even then you need the huge graphics upgrade for the sequel. And make sure is been a few years.

16. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Nintendo is a Publisher of this game, so yeah.

17. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Also not that exited for this. Really don't get why everybody loves platinum games that much when they released quite some bad games over the years (one of a few would the legend of korra) plus the ones that sold good weren't that extremely good to begin with. Yeah they were enjoyable and not bad but def not noteworthy in my eyes. Can someone please give me some good points why platinum games makes better games than most studios and why they are regarded the way they are ?

Last edited by kumikochan, Jun 26, 2019
  18. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    NOT EVERY studio releases master piece from the begining of their career: Even from software made some garbage like KUON, but we don't burry them with criticism.

We almost remember Platinum for making Metal gear Rising, Bayonetta, vanquish and Nier automata, especially the last one, such gorgeous butt :3

Last edited by leon315, Jun 26, 2019
    Silent_Gunner and DaFixer like this.
  19. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Why do you need an explanation? If you don't like them, don't buy their games it's that simple. They have plenty of highly regarded games by the majority of gamers that play them.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

DMC was made by Ninja Theory not Platinum.