Hardware Update on day0?

HorreC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are talking about this HUGE update we have to do right off the bat, that made me kinda pissed, I have a shit wireless card for internet out here in the country. I was telling my friend that I would just stop by his place and use his so I could get it and head home, then I thought if there is a hole in that that would allow for homebrew I would be pissed. I also thought, well nintendoland dosent need it, and I am sure mario and dance party 4 and the workout game (my purchases on day1).

Does anyone else plan to leave theirs on factory firmware till they NEED the eShop or video chat or what ever else you are looking forward too that it would put on there? I dont think I would need online play till MHTU, you?

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a day0 update for a pretty good reason, it was so they could start making wii Us while finishing off the software side for some features like Wii mode. If they didn't there would likely be a whole lot less wii Us made in time for launch.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Nintendo wants you to lure you into updating to get standard features so you can become acquainted their eShop. Its a sneaky promotion if you will.
As for homebrew on firm 1.0, forget it, there is 0% chance the Wiiu's security will be that soft. If there is the unlikely existence of an exploit, I'm sure it'll be in firm 1.1 as well.

tldr--you're not missing out on anything by updating

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
When looking at the features, it's got quite some reasons to update.

My guess is that hackers will simply start looking for exploits in that day 0 patch and not the original firmware. So unless you want (and know how) to look for exploits just for the fun of it, I'd say the update is the best way. All in all, I even think that a patch that's rushed to make it in time for the release day is more likely to introduce bugs than the basic firmware that's probably been tested pretty thoroughly.

Reactions: HorreC

HorreC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you might have a good idea there, plus its going to be easy to get a hold of then the one that is sitting fully encrypted and what not (not like the update wont be). I still think I might wait and see if I really need those features for anything.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
nintendo have learned from the wii so security will be very tight, plus with the fact that firmware updates will be handled the same was as 3ds updates so expect 0-1% chance of the firmware been cracked on day one.

Nintendo wants you to lure you into updating to get standard features so you can become acquainted their eShop. Its a sneaky promotion if you will.

yep, it's very sneaky of them but that is how they lure you in so you become heavily reliant on the eshop, it won't help that a lot of people will be buying retail games in digital format too.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if it's like the 3DS, updating the firmware online doesn't require you to connect to eShop nor even agree to their license agreement.
Adding programs to access eshop and Nintendo Network on the first update doesn't mean users will access it.

I updated my 3DS, but never accessed eShop on it ,even if there's an icon on the menu, because I never accepted their license.
Nobody is forced to use and buy games online.

HorreC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I didnt mean crack it right off the bat but have the update by watching what its downloading. And I didnt realize that on the 3ds you dont even get a user agreement to agree to (which I thought was industry standard) I wonder how their legal dept feels about this, and what agreement we have accepted that says we will install all updates, other then you wanna use the eshop then get your ass on board.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"