Hacking Update my Wii?

Jran Sakarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if it is safe to update my Wii?
I have been out of the Wii Hacking Scene for awhile.
I think I have 3.2 and would like to update and then just reinstall homebrew and such.
Would this be a good idea?
Is it possible or will it brick my Wii?
Also is BootMii worth getting?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bootmii is definitely worth getting especially if your Wii is older than mid 2008ish or so. If it is, and you can install it to boot2, then do it ASAP before doing anything else, make a NAND backup with it, and test it to make sure it works (the beta 0.3 version right now won't work restoring unless you do some hex editing to the nand.bin so either try to find the beta 0.2 installer or try out the beta 0.4 test installer linked in the red note in the hackmii installer and bootmii section of my guide in my sig.)

Once you make sure that works, you can try to update however you want. Nothing else you do should touch bootmii installed to boot2 so if anything does happen you should still be able to boot it and restore that backup to how it was before.

But yea, even officially updating won't get rid of your HBC and cIOS and such, but you should pretty much be able to treat it as if it did and just reinstall everything over them anyways. The only other things you might want to get rid of first if you have them (after getting bootmii of course) is possibly any starfall/preloader hacks and cIOSCORP if you installed that (which you get rid of by installing legit IOS's over them, not uninstalling them).

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi,

This is all you need....

ULTIMATE System Menu 4.1 Guide, Backup Loaders Disc Channel USB

I was in the exact same situation as you. I had been out of the Wii scene for a very long time. Mine was at 3.2U too, and I successfully updated my Wii to modified 4.0U (modified aka with homebrew still intact
smile.gif
). Right now, am using the USB Loader GX and playing all my backups from an external HDD
biggrin.gif

Also, this guide was recently updated to help you get your Wii at modified 4.1U
smile.gif

Just read the instructions carefully, follow it all up stepwise, and you should have your Wii up to date with homebrew still intact in no time
smile.gif

Edit: Oh and as nabster said, BootMii is VERY IMPORTANT. Make sure to make a "NAND backup" of your Wii. Think of a "NAND backup" as a complete "Image" of your Wii's operating system. It includes EVERYTHING. The operating system, the save files, the channels installed, wiiware, and VC titles, EVERYTHING. Once you have your NAND backup, you can then go ahead and mess with your wii (aka install the new updates, etc.,) so even if you do something wrong and screw up, you can always RESTORE your NAND backup, and your Wii will return to it's ORIGINAL STATE
smile.gif

Also, I have the HackMii Installer Beta 0.2, so if you can't find it, lemme know. I'll up it for you
smile.gif

Good Luck
smile.gif

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ravihpa said:
Hi,

This is all you need....

ULTIMATE System Menu 4.1 Guide, Backup Loaders Disc Channel USB

I was in the exact same situation as you. I had been out of the Wii scene for a very long time. Mine was at 3.2U too, and I successfully updated my Wii to modified 4.0U (modified aka with homebrew still intact
smile.gif
). Right now, am using the USB Loader GX and playing all my backups from an external HDD
biggrin.gif

Also, this guide was recently updated to help you get your Wii at modified 4.1U
smile.gif

Just read the instructions carefully, follow it all up stepwise, and you should have your Wii up to date with homebrew still intact in no time
smile.gif
i suggest you dont follow that guide.
it uses old software and an older version of wanin's cios.
it tells you to install 18 wads for some reason.
and has cioscorp as a step.
my guide is more straightforward and has the latest everything included.

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
xzxero said:
i suggest you dont follow that guide.
it uses old software and an older version of wanin's cios.
it tells you to install 18 wads for some reason.
and has cioscorp as a step.
my guide is more straightforward and has the latest everything included.

Hi,

Your guide looks pretty neat too. Thanx for the effort. Really appreciate it.

Tell me, should I upgrade mine again ? Mine's currently at 4.0U with the other guide (the one that I mentioned) and I have BootMii installed as Boot2. I also have a Wiikey1 installed. I am currently able to play all the games that I need via USB Loader GX. Currently playing Muramasa
biggrin.gif

Can you tell me whats the latest/improved stuff ? Also, I don't have Preloader installed. Is is necessary ? FYI, I haven't connected my Wii to internet yet, and I don't think I ever will
smile.gif

Thanx a lot for the help. Really appreciate the effort
smile.gif

Arendo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
preloader is your first protection against bricks... preloader WITH bootmii is your complete package...

also, why update if everything works for you?
I personally only update when it's necessary, because otherwise stuff won't work
wink.gif

but if you feel the need to update, just check if there are updates for whatever software you are running, new cIOS revisions etc.

EDIT: the 4.1 system menu only updates something for wii sports resort, something to do with the intro movie... So, if you don't play wii sports resort, then don't bother updating your system menu
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1