[UPDATE] Microsoft announces acquisition of Bethesda

BethesdaXbox_HERO.jpg

In one of the most unexpected moves in the video games industry this year, Microsoft has announced the acquisition of ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Bethesda Softworks which is itself renowned for video game franchises such as The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM and Dishonored. Microsoft reportedly paid $7.5 billion in order to acquire Zenimax Media, which makes this the biggest video game purchase in history.

"[This merger] allows us to make even better games going forward," Pete Hines, VP of PR & Marketing at Bethesda, wrote in a blog post today. "Microsoft is an incredible partner and offers access to resources that will make us a better publisher and developer. We believe that means better games for you to play."

Now that Obsidian and Bethesda are part of the same family, it raises the possibility of a sequel to Fall Out New Vegas. Interestingly, Bethesda planned to release two of its new games, Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo, as timed exclusives on the PS5, rather than on the Xbox Series X/S.

In any case, are there any new games you'd like to see from this new acquisition?

UPDATE:

Speaking to Bloomberg, Phil Spencer said that the timed console exclusivity on Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo will be maintained while future Bethesda titles will launch on Xbox, PC, and "other consoles on a case by case basis."

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: UPDATE SOURCE

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's cute that people think this will suddenly render Bethesda games as MS exclusives, that's definitely not going to happen. The big franchise titles will definitely stay multiplatform, Elder Scrolls and Fallout will never be any kind of exclusive. Worst case is that something like Starfield will be a timed exclusive, but beyond that it will 100% be business as usual.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck Microsoft. STOP BUYING UP EVERYTHING I LOVE, YOU ASSHOLES!!!!!

It started with Rare and Skype, and then went on to almost buy Yahoo!, then they gobbled up Minecraft, and now Bethesda. STOP IT!

For a while they were approaching being as bad as EA (although it's technically impossible to be worse than that scum), but they seem to be very positive now, I'm hoping for good games in the future (hope we aren't disappointed too though).

Last edited by yoyoyo69,

crissal

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think this is a great news for Microsoft, and I doubt Bethesda, id Software and so on will be the new Rare. In the last generation of consoles, Microsoft was trying to play the game according to Sony rules. Now they are completely changed this, and instead it's Sony that is following them (remember when avalaibility and prices came out for PS5? Or that preorders opened before?). IMHO they will be on pair in terms of sales, but MS deserves to recover, because it is very attentive to the consumer, while it seems that Sony is only trying to milk him (remember also games at 80 EUR/USD).

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cute that people think this will suddenly render Bethesda games as MS exclusives, that's definitely not going to happen. The big franchise titles will definitely stay multiplatform, Elder Scrolls and Fallout will never be any kind of exclusive. Worst case is that something like Starfield will be a timed exclusive, but beyond that it will 100% be business as usual.

Nothing points to them making exclusives, everything they've done these last few years suggests the opposite. After spending so much for this, they'll recoup cash quicker multiplatform.

Everything is moving away from single purchase, the want the games out to as many people as possible, even if it's on other platforms, Xcloud fits in to this perfectly.

Once people have access, they'll want them buying all the cheap to produce DLC, which is much bigger profits, this is why all developers have turned sh•••y, greed.

Games nowadays are nothing more than glorified storefronts, which give developers the ability to deceive and exploit more easily, often circumvent legislation too.

Last edited by yoyoyo69,
D

Deleted User

Soon it's gonna be Game over for sony. When microsoft gonna buy your game studios you will become irrelevant. Hahaha. And only stupid fans gonna buy your consoles just like stupid fans buying iphone that doing exactly the same stuff as any other phone. But unfortunately for sony they don't have so many stupid fans like apple does.

Nah I just kidding. I like sony. But I was serious about apple.

Reactions: wartutor

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Oh,another "Disney like Story"...:D

Elder Scrolls 6 ?
System Requirements.....
Windows 12.2022 Build 365.52
First you have to Update your PC (in the Meantime NVIDIA/AMD also aquisited by Microsoft)
and of course your Windows too.:rofl2:

And then maybe......

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So they're paying 50c per Bethesda bug? :creep:
Their bugginess was a stock price pumping scheme? Masterful.

Nice move Microsoft, but as an RPG guy I'll stay with Nintendo/Sony :)
From where I sit the 360 was a better bet than the PS3 if you are into that sort of thing. https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps3-and-360-exclusives-a-discussion.360416/

Lets hope the shift in ownership will force Bethesda and company to actually fix games instead of releasing new broken ones. Microsoft has higher standards than most other game development companies.
Are they not also the company that brought in easy patching for consoles and do we also have to consider their operating system history and office suite history? Granted the patches thing was an inevitability really.

While I would not bet on a 90s buyout style instant pivot to such a thing (give or take maybe the PC but that is hardly exclusives in the same sense) I can see them making it very attractive to use their platforms in the short term (we are the ones with mods, with the DLC first, with the dedicated servers, with the better textures maybe though since the PS360 then Sony and MS have made devs make things on par with the competition), and going medium term then exclusives seems more likely still. Most of Zenimax's stable is not really a utility game like Minecraft that does better when it is everywhere, though I am sure a few spinoffs and "sequels" could be kept as exclusives even then. Granted [insert joke about number of ports/remakes Skyrim has seen].
They might even view Nintendo as no great threat to their interests similar to how Rare did fart out a few GBA games (see Banjo Pilot) and DS games (see Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise) well after the acquisition and trickle out a few table scraps there too.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
I doubt most of bethesda's games will be locked to the next xbox consoles but it will surely sting on sony if ms turned it into timed exclusives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs