[UPDATE] mGBA adds high-res scaling in its latest development builds

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, May 21, 2019.

1. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    So it will make GBA games look like 3Dish Sega Genesis games?

2. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Jeez, this thing is stuttery as crap for me even at x1 enhancement using OpenGL.

My computer isn't top of the line, but it's by no means terrible. Any suggestions?

Last edited by regnad, May 22, 2019
  3. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    Hard to say for sure without knowing your PC spec but likely the only solution is a more powerful PC, although it's possible as the features are developed they'll be further optimised.

4. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    Nice... GBA games always looks terrible on TV, now it is super :)

5. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Can't breath after watching that video and looking at the Mario Kart screenshot on Twitter.

Compared to bSNES we can hold our hopes up since mGBA exists as a libretro core as well so we might get those features in RetroArch at some point. :)

Elalexyzoner likes this.
  6. Kazalber

Kazalber Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2017
    Guatemala
    Can't wait for it to come to the Switch :D

7. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    To everybody asking for a Switch port, it most likely won't happen without a lot of optimization. Getting around 45FPS at 6x on a i5-7300HQ and 1050 Ti on the latest dev build.

8. Fates-Blade-900

Fates-Blade-900 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2018
    United States
    This is great! It'd be even better if I had a 4K Monitor. :cry:

Last edited by Fates-Blade-900, May 22, 2019
  9. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    Have you tried WinDirStat?

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I like windirstat and all but that is an odd approach.
    Everything from https://www.voidtools.com/ on the other hand.

Granted this might just be a search index needs rebuilding.

11. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    London
    Can't wait for this to arrive on the Switch!

12. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    Edit: wrong thread, but while I'm here I would just say I tried this with a few games and it's very impressive.

Last edited by Edgarska, May 25, 2019
  13. MushGuy

MushGuy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 11, 2010
    United States
    Come on, Snes9x! It's your turn now!

14. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    This needs to get on Lakka (once HDmGBA gets it's bugs fixed ofcourse!)

15. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Windows XP background
    I prefer to play games in their original resolution, but I can definitely see why this would be popular.

16. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    So exciting to see this! Would love to see a big bunch of comparison screenshots. Granted I haven't looked that much for them, but the SNES ones had pretty clear before and after images, while I've only seen the after images for this one. So it's difficult to really appreciate the improvement :P

Gonna have to look for some more screenshots :P

17. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    I've gotta say if my PC struggles with this, I can't imagine the Switch is going to have an easy time of it.

SpiffyJUNIOR likes this.
  18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    It depends.

The general idea behind these sorts of mods is 3d is all about manipulating points in space. Being maths then multiplying it by arbitrary numbers, and maybe adding some smoothing, anti aliasing, precision in the "texture", precision in "shadows", an additional subsurf render or something, is trivial. Most 2d based consoles don't have such reference systems and instead are dancing pixels on a flat plane, and some 3d ones have their own quirks like using things for reference points (see some of the GC widescreen stuff from the Wii) but we can skip that one for the moment. However things like the SNES' mode7 graphics and the GBA's similar take on the matter then you do still have points in space and maths done upon them rather than sliding and flipping set size sprites on top of backgrounds.
    If you take the "obvious" route of rendering each frame out and doing maths on each of them rather than the more tedious but likely quicker method (and still just as valid) of creating a 3d model and keeping it updated with changes then you will see it nail resources. A modern machine of some potency should be able to handle the former though, and the end result will be nice to look at as a proof of concept. Spend the time to make the latter and it will run on far more modest machines. Not sure where that will end up -- probably not the same sort of demands as the likes of the 2x super sai filters we have seen for years but maybe more in line with those of the more exotic stuff like XBRZ we saw in more recent years.

19. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    But wouldn't the same "tricks" used to speed things up yield the same results for both Switch and PC? I guess my point is my PC is more powerful than a switch and still struggles with both this and bsnes-HD

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Haven't looked at what bsnes does at this point so will have to skip that for now. As far as the quoted post is concerned it is not as much tricks if you are thinking speedhacks of yesteryear but a fundamentally different approach, or at least one that builds massively off the simpler and slower approach you can knock out as an experiment.
    The simple approach takes the data in the emulated system's memory every frame and does what it does to it (presumably rather than looking at it like a jumble of pixels like every other filter it looks at their positions in "space" and does the maths to scale it and smooth things out). As far as a general flow of operations is concerned that is nothing major. Doing it every frame (60 of them a second remember, though some drop down to 30) is however quite demanding, especially if you also have to do the rest of the stuff that the emulated system does.
    Building a model and kicking that to a graphics card, and then sending updates every frame (or every time it is changed, possibly also detecting when the whole "model" is changed), and allowing it to do anti aliasing and all that stuff they are designed for takes far more code and fiddling to accomplish but will yield the same results for far less demand on a CPU.