[UPDATE] Metal Gear Solid 3 remake announced for PS5, Xbox Series X|S and Steam; MGS Master Collection vol. 1 also coming this Autumn

Announced during today's PlayStation Showcase were a pair of upcoming Metal Gear Solid re-releases. The long-rumoured Metal Gear Solid 3 remake will be coming under the title Metal Gear Solid∆: Snake Eater, while the first three Metal Gear Solid titles will be released this fall under the name Metal Gear Solid Master Collection vol. 1. The collection misses notable previous-generation titles like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (which was included in previous MGS HD collections), leaving room open for a possible volume 2 down the road.

The graphic for the Master Collection uses the box art for MGS 2: Sons of Liberty and MGS 3: Snake Eater, rather than their expanded re-releases Substance and Subsistence. It's worth noting, however, that the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection released in 2011 also used the original release's box art while being based on and including features from the expanded versions.

No other details have been announced, such as the developer or what non-PlayStation platforms may be targeted. However, the announcement today lines up perfectly with recent rumours that said these releases would have a marketing agreement with Sony but would also be coming to Xbox and PC. Notably, neither announcement made any claims of platform exclusivity.

photo_2023-05-24_18-02-34.jpg

:arrow: Source (MGS Delta)
:arrow: Source (MGS Master Collection)

[UPDATE] A teaser website has gone live for the MGS3 remake. It features a message from the development team, and specifies that Metal Gear Solid Delta will be coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and PC via Steam. Metal Gear Solid Delta will "faithfully reproduce the story and game design of MGS3, whilst adding new elements too."

The teaser website for the Master Collection features the same message from the developer, but does not explicitly state which platforms the Master Collection will be coming to. It also lists the three games already announced with a fourth spot that says "Stay tuned for more information."

We thank you and sincerely appreciate your continuous support.

Currently, the development team are working together to create an environment where fans can experience and enjoy the METAL GEAR series on the latest platforms.

We are remaking Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, one of the most beloved instalments of the METAL GEAR series, revealing the origin story of Snake, as METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER. We are working hard for METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER to be a faithful recreation of the original story and game design, while evolving the gameplay with stunning visuals and a seamless user experience.

Simultaneously, we will deliver the METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION series, the most complete compilation that celebrates the 35th anniversary of the series. The METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION allow fans to play the games as they were, as first released on the latest platforms.

We hope you will enjoy the METAL GEAR series on the latest platforms.

[UPDATE 2] Microsoft Tweeted out an image of various games featured in the PlayStation Showcase today. Metal Gear Solid Delta was included but the Master Collection was absent. This doesn't confirm exclusivity, of course, but it's noteworthy.

[UPDATE 3] The listing for the Master Collection vol. 1 is up on the PlayStation Store now, and it says the original MSX titles will also be included in the Master Collection. It also says the versions of Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 will be based off of the HD Collection, meaning they should retain the extra content from Substance and Subsistence. Metal Gear Solid will also include the VR missions.

It also notes that there will be "minimal edits to copyrighted contents," likely referring to the archival war footage in 2 and 3 that caused Konami to delist the titles digitally in November of 2021.

[UPDATE 4] Konami has confirmed that MGS Delta will feature the original "character voices" from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, meaning the return of David Hayter as Snake after he was recast in MGSV. It is unclear currently whether the original audio will be reused, or if the cast is returning to record new audio.

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surely it should’ve been called Metal Gear Solid Γ (gamma), no? Isn’t delta the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet…?

Also does this mean that volume 2 might have MGS4 on it and I can finally play it at 60fps!? (Not counting emulation, obviously)

Edit: I’m guessing the MSX games are just part of the Subsistence content for MGS3, which would explain why they didn’t add them t the graphic.

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Surely it should’ve been called Metal Gear Solid Γ (gamma), no? Isn’t delta the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet…?

Also does this mean that volume 2 might have MGS4 on it and I can finally play it at 60fps!? (Not counting emulation, obviously)

Edit: I’m guessing the MSX games are just part of the Subsistence content for MGS3, which would explain why they didn’t add them t the graphic.
According to their Twitter, Delta was chosen because "Delta means 'change' or 'difference' without changing structure."

Good call on the MSX games being included with Subsistence too, that makes sense.

MoshpitWorkout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i wonder if the remake is actually gonna be good without kojima
I had that exact same thought. They're probably throwing lots of money at this and it'll be a good looking and faithful remake.. but I don't want it to just be good, I want it to get weird.

Kojima is vastly overhyped, imho.
Yeah probably, but his projects are unapologetically strange in a way that you don't get from other AAA games. If you want a game with high production values that's earnestly weird there's nobody else to turn to.

That being said, games are made with teams of people and everyone focusing on Kojima may be overshadowing other skilled contributors.

Hyatt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am hyped for the remake and can't wait to play it. The remakes of the last few years were all pretty good (RES4 for example), so I am sure this one will also be awesome.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
it sucks that it doesnt include twin snakes too, since the original ps1 game will look really poor being only hd remastered on a 4k screen ...

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I bet they won't have David Hayter back and instead have Chris Pratt voice Naked Snake.
They won't have anybody back because these aren't remakes, these are just "definitive editions". Same exact game with HD graphics tecture pack.
Did nobody notice the big ass "not gameplay footage" disclaimer in the trailer? This is just another 3DS Snake Eater 2.0, anybody thinking they'll remake the games from ground up has been banboozled.

Reactions: zfreeman

17hitcombooo

Officer Balls.... BWAAHAHAHAH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They won't have anybody back because these aren't remakes, these are just "definitive editions". Same exact game with HD graphics tecture pack.
Did nobody notice the big ass "not gameplay footage" disclaimer in the trailer? This is just another 3DS Snake Eater 2.0, anybody thinking they'll remake the games from ground up has been banboozled.
thie collection better not be as bad as the gta definitive edition

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
no there will be 2 releases

a full on remake of metal gear solid 3 and the hd collection containing the hd remaster of mgs3( 2 and 1 also) they are gonna make 2 versions a new remake and the remaster available to people.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
no there will be 2 releases

a full on remake of metal gear solid 3 and the hd collection containing the hd remaster of mgs3( 2 and 1 also) they are gonna make 2 versions a new remake and the remaster available to people.
Have you seen the pictures? That doesn't look like a remake to me, the guards have the same stances/animations and even positions, the maps are the same. This is just the same game with better graphics and perhaps with the 3DS updated controls.

I hope I'm wrong, we'll have to wait and see, but I'm sure this isn't a remake, just a reskin like the GTA "definitive edition".

• Wow
Reactions: zfreeman

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Have you seen the pictures? That doesn't look like a remake to me, the guards have the same stances/animations and even positions, the maps are the same. This is just the same game with better graphics and perhaps with the 3DS updated controls.

I hope I'm wrong, we'll have to wait and see, but I'm sure this isn't a remake, just a reskin like the GTA "definitive edition".
there are faithful remakes that are amazing

crash trilogy and spyro trilogy showed when you have a great game all you need to do is update the mechanics and graphics and the game is even better.

they have the same stances but they dont have those stiff ps2 animations for sure..., the maps are totally different looking, they share the "game" path but no assets are reused, they are using all new assets how can you say its the exact same thing looking at this versus this?

MGS-3-Original-vs-Remake-1038x576.jpg

why would they totally change the map? they are giving you shoots to see how this looks, im pretty sure all those areas that had loading screens in between will now be an open area for sure.

Any game that doesnt reuse assets is a remake, being a faithful remake or a loose one doesnt make then not being remakes, i bet they will even use phanthom pain engine for this which could be good or bad, depending on how they change things.

lol the gta trilogy is the worst thing comparing even hd remasters to that is the worst

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
they have the same stances but they dont have those stiff ps2 animations for sure...
That's literally not what I see in that picture. Same exact animation.

Hey look at my nickname, I would love for this to be a remake. But it won't be, and sadly you will all be hugely disappointed when it comes out.

You all seem to be forgetting what company we're talking about. Are we supposed to forget everything that happened and trust Konami again?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.