1. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    Reggie coming in. Also Microsoft and big time investor made gamestop more valuable.

2. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    as much as I love spiting short sellers and day traders, gamestop is far from a favorable company to grant this kind of success.

3. SG854

Comoros
    Gamestop is probably good to invest for the long term. It could be at $150 per share for the next couple of years.

Ever since Ryan Cohen bringing executives from chewy to gamestop and there's been talks to getting into the online digital download side of things. Plus with Microsoft joining and seeing potential for gamestop to make a comeback.

Even if brick and motor stores are going away gamestop can have a good digital online presence that they are in the phase of transferring into right now.

4. Zaldo1

Zaldo1 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Bought 100 shares when it it about 3 bucks for the memes. Can finish the payments on my house way early. Thank you for the donation Melvin.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  5. r5xscn

r5xscn GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    I don't think this has anything to do with Gamestop. It's more like people (r/wallstreetbets) vs market analysts (Citron + Melvin). But again, this is from a stranger on the internet. I might be wrong.

6. SG854

Comoros
    Im saying for long term not whats currently happening right now with short sellers loosing billions.

7. r5xscn

r5xscn GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    Yeah, thats what I mean here. Sorry if I worded that wrong. The proposition of GME might look good because of the jump of the stock, but that does not change the fact that they are still a brick and mortar shop (plus an online shop that probably does not compete with big guys like Amazon). I know that physical games wont go anywhere soon, but online shops also offer physical products...

You see, even WSB hates GME in the past before this event, they even would say screw GME for giving 2 bucks for their used games.

Xzi likes this.
  8. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    If you already missed the train, I wouldn't risk jumping in on it now. Stock this volatile can lose value just as quickly as it was gained. They have too many competitors in the online retail space to remain profitable in the long-term, and their retail stores are gonna go the way of Blockbuster very soon. 99% of the current stock value is speculative and demand-driven.

r5xscn likes this.
  9. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy #JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
    Global Moderator

United States
    Last edited by Sicklyboy, Jan 28, 2021
    Scott_pilgrim, r5xscn and GhostLatte like this.
  10. GhostLatte

GhostLatte GBAtemp's Official Van Master™

United States
    Scott_pilgrim and Sicklyboy like this.
  11. SG854

Comoros
    It's a risk for sure and a gamble. But Gamestop has some big players backing them Microsoft and Cohen.

I dont know if blockbuster had major movie studios backing them. They probably despised blockbuster especially since rental sales takes from vhs and DVD movie purchases. Same with music companies trying to shut down Napster and any online music sharing sites.

They didn't understand the change and the importance of online services. We are 7 years since blockbuster shut down and retailers now know the importance of online and know not to fight change learning the mistakes previous stores did and need to adapt and change to the online space, so I suspect gamestop is more willing to adapt compared to blockbuster which didn't and failed because of it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah they been blaming regular people every since this happened. They just don't want to loose billions again lol.

Last edited by SG854, Jan 28, 2021
  12. JustJay

JustJay GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Gamestop is taking over the world.

13. SG854

Comoros
    Im not looking at the huge spike in stock right now. Im looking at the people and companies joining to save gamestop. Reggie from Nintendo, Microsoft and Cohen. Im seeing the adapting they are doing to go to the online space. Plus I can see they will be extremely competitive to Amazon or other services. Amazon is too big and powerful since you can get everything on Amazon so I can see why Amazon is having a huge presence. But gamestop has Microsoft one of the richest companies out there.

Last edited by SG854, Jan 28, 2021
  14. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator

United States
    Yeah I don't think it is. But that doesn't stop me from being concerned lol, I've got a non-insignificant amount into GME right now and it's getting closer and closer to crossing under my break even point. Nothing that'd put me out on the street, I know what my acceptable risk is, but

[​IMG]

Nonetheless, just gotta wait until tomorrow and see how it goes. If the sub gets cleaned up and reopened tonight I imagine it'll bounce back up again. I just want some fucking tendies god damnit.

15. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    As is playing the stock market in general, but the golden rule remains the same: buy low, sell high. There are still a lot of other stocks which took a plunge due to COVID, and remain undervalued now because of it. As @mat128 pointed out, AMC stock is probably a good buy right now, because even if it doesn't see this kind of crazy demand, it'll rebound naturally as the vaccine rollout progresses.

16. SG854

Comoros
    I meant buying gamestop stock when it drops down.

Ya I might get some AMC stock.

Xzi likes this.
  17. r5xscn

r5xscn GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    Yeah, Reggie + MS + Cohen might make GME more interesting, but unless they are creating something like Epic/Steam with access to physical product and available on all consoles and PC, I don't see any potential in it outside "nostalgia". I do hope GME achieve that tho because that would bring a serious competition to the market.

18. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator

United States
    AMC is another intriguing stock to me given all of the talk around it, the potential of it being "the next GME" or something along those lines. I got a solid few shares at a pretty low price yesterday, if I wasn't so tied up with GME I'd probably be grabbing more but I'm just gonna ride this train for now and see where it takes me. It's 100% within acceptable losses territory for me if it nosedives so personally no concerns there.

Not financial advice, etc, I'm only mildly more intelligent than an ape with a cell phone so you shouldn't take anything I'm saying as a recommendation, etc etc etc.

Xzi likes this.
  19. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    People actually think they can beat the big Wall Street firms? *grabs popcorn*

20. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator

United States
    Aaaaaaand the actual /r/wallstreetbets is back live and open again.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - GameStops, UPDATE, closes