UPDATE GameStop's stock closes today at $347.23 per share; up from under $4 last year

zD44OtQ.png

GameStop, the world's biggest retail video game chain has had a wild and turbulent 12 months to say the least. As the video game market continues on its inevitable trek to becoming more and more of an entirely digital industry, GameStop has clearly been struggling to adjust to the changes. GameStop drama has been covered here on GBAtemp in the past, from its switch to focusing on merchandise and legacy games, to its decision to remain open following the COVID-19 pandemic, to its reversal of that decision. However, perhaps GameStop's craziest story has very little to do with the financial success of the company itself.

Prior to this month, GME (GameStop's stock ticker)'s 5 year high was approximately $33 in April of 2016. However, that figure drastically plunged down to under $4 in 2020. This month however, that figure has absolutely skyrocketed above anybody's expectations--closing out today (January 27th) at $347.23 a share. Many factors went into this large stock price; primarily a battle waging between investors of the /r/wallstreetbets subreddit and the short seller Melvin Capital. In essence, Melvin is betting that the stock price will fall below $60 by Friday, while hundreds of thousands of investors on /r/wallstreetbets have been rallying together to keep the price above $60 in hopes that it will skyrocket even further. Allegedly, "$1,000 GME by EoW is not a meme!"

Always remember to invest at your own risk, and know that nothing posted on GBAtemp or /r/wallstreetbets regarding this situation should be construed as financial advice.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Ericzander,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say computing is easier to get into than financial advising, but because of that the competition is greater.

But comparing to the hardest jobs doesn't make something "reasonably easy".

If someone did become a financial adviser then it's unlikely they would give advice on here either.
Entry level computing then sure. Certs that mean something, never mind the really fancy stuff, less so.

As for giving advice then plenty of lawyers, engineers, medics, accountants and more have given some pretty high end "if this hypothetical scenario were to have occurred" over the years that you might well pay good money for if it were a real consultation.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As for giving advice then plenty of lawyers, engineers, medics, accountants and more have given some pretty high end "if this hypothetical scenario were to have occurred" over the years that you might well pay good money for if it were a real consultation.

Well I know some people have claimed to be a lawyer. Financial advice is way more complicated though, because you have skin in the game. So you have to be really careful you don't give advice to buy and then the next day sell your position. I don't think people would want to be restricted having to decide whether to risk the consequences holding a stock after you change your mind.

As it is there is a good chance that people on wsb are doing things against the spirit of the law, if not actually breaking it. Proving it will be harder though.

Last edited by smf,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
These boomers just want to make me hold even more

BlackRock, Donald Foss & Ryan Cohen want you to hold, so they can sell while it's high and leave you holding the baby.

The guy on wsb that has been buying shares up for the last year, is probably going to do the same.

Then they'll suspend trading.

Last edited by smf,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
okey from what i heard and people are discussing on live here: seems platform provider ROBINHOOD most likely and single handedly will prevent people to frenzy buy GS stock tomorrow, just like what happened today!

OFC all of this shitshow without any govt. regulations.

www.twitch.tv/hasanabi

Last edited by leon315,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okey from what i heard and people are discussing on live here: seems platform provider ROBINHOOD most likely and single handedly will prevent people to frenzy buy GS stock tomorrow, just like what happened today!

OFC all of this shitshow without any govt. regulations.

www.twitch.tv/hasanabi
"single handedly"
you do realize there's a jillion different platforms and that the hyperfixated madlads on WSB are constantly keeping track of which ones they can trust
nobody's going to even USE RH after today

Reactions: CallmeBerto

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"single handedly"
you do realize there's a jillion different platforms and that the hyperfixated madlads on WSB are constantly keeping track of which ones they can trust
nobody's going to even USE RH after today
so things as you just said people will just switch platform then frenzy buy GME as usual, which consequently raise Gamestop's stock once again?

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah today was a frustrating day.

Nothing like seeing a few grand just evaporate in front of your face lol. But I decided to HODL because I got fuckin diamond hands and we're back in action baby.

At least until 9:30 AM.

hey 420.69 became real, maybe 1k isn't just a meme

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why try to beat Wall Street at their own game, when they're the ones writing the rules?
The fact that there have been a dozen halts today is not a good sign. They can choose to stop all trading of the stock for an indefinite amount of time.
Then it's not a free market and never was, and any complaints regarding the US economy as being a capitalist free market are null and void.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Watching the stock market get abused, and crash and burn is pretty damn funny. I hope this keeps up.
Just like in 2008 and many times before, the American people will suffer from this. Wall Street and the rich will walk away scott-free and probably even richer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup