1. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    And again I think that 30% is much too high just to host your game for purchase, no matter the dev. As I said earlier, obviously Epic could go on just fine continuing to lose that 30% cut, but it's such a shitty amount to take from an up and coming Indie dev that's just trying to make ends meet. Oh you made a game all by yourself? Well, 3/10 of it isn't actually yours if you hope to make any money off of it. Again, it's about the principle, I'm not lamenting Epic's loss of profits, but I think it's a horrid business model when it applies to all devs of any size and stature.

Last edited by MikaDubbz, Aug 14, 2020
  2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    Epic's response to this is just...wow.

Last edited by Joom, Aug 14, 2020
    TheCasualties likes this.
  3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    epic finally show their true colors as a spoiled little child who can't get their own way.
    [​IMG]

4. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I wonder when we'll see 12 year olds rioting in the streets

5. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    So many things to say about this, I don't even know where to begin...
    • Of course it had to be Epic to try and get ballsy to try and force its own IAP system to get booted out of the official play store listings. Though to be fair, I had my betting money on EA or Ubisoft doing it first.
    • Of course Epic is going to try and spin this like they're doing it for the little guy. Spoiler alert: they aren't little. They just didn't want to basically pay Google and Apple 30% to exist.
    • Apple could afford to do a sliding scale model, just as Google can. Will they? of course not. Gotta afford to build those $700 wheels, apparently.
    • The three parties involved (google, apple, and Epic) are effing stupid.
    • None of the three parties involved in this are at all deserving of ANY compensation
    • why won't Fortnite die already?

Bladexdsl likes this.
  6. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I don't think Epic is any hero at all, but it is a valid point that it's bullshit how it applies to all devs of any size all the same. Epic may not be out there looking after the indie dev, but the indie dev is hurt significantly by the 30% model regardless. It does suck that no matter who you are; you work your ass off on your game for what could be months or years, and when you're done, automatically, 3/10ths of it doesn't even belong to you if you hope to make any profit. And it's not like Apple or Google are hurting for money, they (especially Apple) will happily overcharge you for their products, and then continue to drain you of your money for years to come. They all come out looking like dicks, but Epic has shed light on a legitimately terrible business model at the end of the day.

Last edited by MikaDubbz, Aug 15, 2020
  7. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    This was a unusually shit video from Jim. He's just kind of ignorant on the actual tech issues here.

1) The 1984 thing was mocking a famous Apple ad when they were the ones portraying their products as the solution to an Orwell novel. He bagged on Epic quite a bit for him completely missing the point.

2) If this results in a special deal for Fortnite to get more money then yeah this mobilization is pointless. If however it forces hardware manufacturers to allow jailbreaks or sideloaded apps then its going to have a big impact and one I would very much like to see. To put any software I want on any device rather than hoping for an exploit to show up and enable that.

3) Epic did push Sony into crossplay, so it is possible for sinister companies to achieve good ends. Public companies are always going to be pressured into maximizing profit, so if you don't believe that you can direct them towards the public good with law and competition, then you're probably pining for something more like state run industries than heavy business regulations and generous safety nets.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Aug 15, 2020
  8. ccfman2004

ccfman2004 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo do the exact same thing on their respective consoles. Why aren't they being targeted too? They charge the same 30%

9. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Do they? I feel like Nintendo has never disclosed what they charge. I wouldn't be shocked if they do, but I'd like to see the facts and figures first before I grab my pitchforks for them too. Regardless, if they are charging that much, then yeah, that's bullshit as well.

10. ccfman2004

United States
    For Microsoft: https://query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com/cms/api/am/binary/RE4o4bH
    They take 30% for all game sales in the Xbox Store for both the game and in-app purchases.

Couldn't find anything for Sony and Nintendo.

11. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yeah, figured as much. They likely are just as bad, but without the proof I can't give them much shit right now.

12. ccfman2004

United States
    What Epic is doing is very biased as they are only targeted Apple and Google and not companies like Microsoft which take the same 30%

If they really cared about the little guy they would go after Microsoft as well since they impose the same restrictions and fees that both Apple and Google impose their respective platforms.

They knew full well what they were doing since they were prepared with a video and court documents the moment the app was pulled from those stores. If they tried the same stunt with Microsoft on Xbox, Microsoft would likely remove the game as well.

Since I can't find out what Nintendo and Sony charge I will refrain from targeting them.

Until the courts make their decision or they come to an agreement, it's the players that are going to suffer for now.

Last edited by ccfman2004, Aug 15, 2020
  13. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.

United States
    Heh.. This is so funny to me. Because honestly... fuck all three of them.
    And who's really that sad about Fortshite being removed? The 12-year-olds that still play it.

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee likes this.
  14. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I read this then changed my mind: https://protonmail.com/blog/apple-app-store-antitrust/

Epic greedy but Apple needs to be forced to not be as deeply bad as it is right now. Courts will at best force Apple to be at least a tiiiiny lil bit less deeply bad, yet that will be tangible and worth it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

https://twitter.com/ProtonMail/status/1294032455595425793

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee, Aug 17, 2020
  15. jt_1258

jt_1258 Stuck

United States
  16. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
  17. jt_1258

jt_1258 Stuck

United States
    Congrats apple in becoming a bad guy in all of this no matter how anyone feels about what epic did in terms of breaking tos.

18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Man, if I was into this game, I'd be upset too, thankfully I have no interest so to me, nothing of value was lost

banjo2 likes this.
  19. jt_1258

jt_1258 Stuck

United States
    cough cough, unless you are into a game that runs on unreal engine. look up a couple posts for context

20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    So Apple can piss off, f*ck those greedy turds

jt_1258 likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [UPDATE], Fortnite, removed