1. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    That's basic marketing 101. You catch more flies with honey. ANYWAY, this story continues to unfold. Google just pulled Fortnite, too.
    https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...d-banned-google-play-app-store-rule-violation
    The logic here is that since payments aren't going through Apple's gate, users could be exposed to fraud. Even though Epic is a reputable company, these are Apple's garden wall terms. They trust nobody to handle payments except for themselves; for liability reasons, and to a lesser, conspiratorial extent, greed.

Last edited by Joom, Aug 14, 2020
    MetoMeto and chartube12 like this.
  2. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    The title of this thread sounds like the Google app is removed from Play Store. :rofl2:

In any case, Apple and Google just wanted to get a pay cut on all the microtransactions from any app and has nothing to do with store safety. If they are actually looking out for end users, they would kick out any apps that have microtransactions. What a stupid statement from both companies.

3. Boesy

Boesy GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I wouldn't mind if this and TikTok were actually banned, but as we know, something just replaces it. It's so awkward to see girls doing weird poses for a video on the street or at home.. meh.

Because the EU is so trustworthy.

4. Legendaykai

Legendaykai Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    NOw if only that tumour of a game is axed aswell as pokemon Go the world will be a much better place people should stick to consoles or pc not a mobile phone!

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    And nothing of value was lost

chartube12 likes this.
  6. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    2nd lawsuit incomming in 3..2....

7. JFizDaWiz

JFizDaWiz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    mobile games are games as much as console and PC.

banjo2 likes this.
  8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Snake™ CEO of Snakes

Antarctica
    I wonder if Epic is also going to sue Google? I also wonder if other companies like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo might follow behind these two? With how quickly Google pulled after Apple, I wonder if this is a common sentiment among platforms and they were just waiting for someone to move first so they could follow after?

9. JuanMena

JuanMena I'm not a dentist

Mexico
    :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

HAHAHAHAHA!
    What were they thinking?

10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    I guess crosswords on the NY Times is a game, too?

JuanMena likes this.
  11. JuanMena

JuanMena I'm not a dentist

Mexico
    :rofl2:

12. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    I think Epic is just trying to send a message. I can't fathom them throwing money away for lawsuits they more than likely won't win. Kind of funny, though. This is almost like their challenge to Steam and the like.

How so? Well, they threw millions of dollars to try and make a point about Steam and their cut on games and how "anti-consumer" they allegedly were. Didn't really work, so now they're targeting the mobile stores. Super fucking weird. Even for Sweeney.

13. Lilith Valentine

Antarctica
    More of a hypothetical really, I doubt they will and I also doubt they will follow through with suing Apple. I am more interested in why Google so quickly followed behind and if this is going to start a trend. It feels like Google was just waiting for someone to make a move and then quickly jumped on the board when Apple started making moves. So now I am wondering, how many other companies might feel the same and or possibly follow suit? I doubt any will but it would be interesting if they did.
    I am going to be honest with you, but mobile gaming has come a long way and there are literally full console ports on mobile phones. The idea that mobile gaming is still just Candy Crush and crosswords is extremely outdated.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Aug 14, 2020
  14. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    A difficult guess, I say. Epic violated the TOS of Apple's own appstore. Not a far cry to assume Google wasn't happy about the decision, either. I don't know. What I do know is that Sweeney is making mountains out of molehills. Of course, there is the issue that you can't easily use a secondary app store on iOS.. Whereas Android has a few.

Moreso poking fun at the idea. I don't disagree that mobile gaming is a good contrast of what was. What with controllers being viable for mobile, so games like COD and Fortnite can thrive. Not to mention the graphical fidelity we see in games like Honkai. It's not a bad market.

Last edited by Memoir, Aug 14, 2020
  15. Lilith Valentine

Antarctica
    I feel like they could have found a better way of going about this, personally I think Apple takes way too much from devs and Epic should have pushed that issue before going about violating a TOS they agreed to. Of course, Tom isn't looking to change Apple's practices through this lawsuit, they are just mad that they can't have all the money.
    I might be a little touchy on mobile gaming because I kind of fell into mobile gaming due to how busy my own life is. I am almost always on the road due to work, personal affairs, and medical needs, so I really can only get my gaming fix through mobile gaming or my Switch. So I get a bit touchy when people shit on it since I actually really enjoy it. So there is bias on my end.

Memoir likes this.
  16. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    I 100% agree that there could and should have been a better approach... But... Given recent history with Tim and just throwing money into the proverbial shitter. It just seems appropriate that he'd do this. I also agree that it's more than likely about the money Epic isn't getting with the cut.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  17. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    All these companies suck, but I think I still side more with Epic on this one. Kinda bullshit that Apple and Google take such huge cuts of in-game purchases just for hosting the game on their app stores. Obviously, Epic could go on just fine continuing to give such large cuts to Apple and Google, but on a princple level, it annoys me that any other dev has to follow suit, including indie devs that are just trying to make ends meet.

Memoir likes this.
  18. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Not sure Epic is making any headway here but they did appear to have a big role in pushing Sony to get on with crossplay via aggressive means. They also aren't the only one suing Apple for its app store policies, so its more like they are piling on since the timing is right.

Suing Google right now would be trickier because the play store isn't the only way to get apps on your Android device.

19. Legendaykai

Legendaykai Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Correction they are APPS not games (those that use mobile phones for "games" sorry trying to maintain a straight face typing this Mobile "games are for filthy casuals not console or pc players. get that casual trash out of here!

20. Tiger21820

Tiger21820 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [UPDATE], Fortnite, removed