1. 10,075

Front-page
    fortnite apple.jpg

Apple has decided to remove Epic Games’ battle royale sensation Fortnite from its App Store. The decision comes after Epic Games bypassed Apple’s 30% cut by implementing its own in-app payment system. In a statement to The Verge, Apples mentions it will "make every effort to work with Epic to resolve these violations so they can return Fortnite to the App Store" but without any plans for a “special arrangement”.

You can read the statement in full below:

:arrow: SOURCE

[Update]
    Google has followed suit, removing Fortnite from their own Play Store as well.

:arrow: SOURCE

2. Discussion (99 replies)

3. Flofflewoffle

Flofflewoffle AKA : 5 p r 1 n 6

Denmark
    wow, the one is more greedy than the other!

4. masagrator

masagrator The developper

Poland
    This is bad for Apple because EU has now more ammunition in anti-trust investigation. :P

Payne, codezer0, yoyoyo69 and 2 others like this.
  5. jt_1258

jt_1258 Stuck

United States
    They are making shitloads of cash...and are going to these lengths for more...are you kidding me...
    edit: referring to epic wanting more money

Last edited by jt_1258, Aug 13, 2020
  6. banjo2

banjo2 gamer

United States
    So do all of the people who still had it installed just lose access to it?

Megadriver94 and slaphappygamer like this.
  7. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    dont preety much every freemium game has its own inapp payment system? i mean that is how they work, correct me if im wrong tough.

Olmectron likes this.
  8. jt_1258

jt_1258 Stuck

United States
    pretty sure they go through the storefront like it is on consoles where they take you to the shop to buy mircotransactions

9. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Mexico
    You can't publish an app in the Apple's App Store that has a payment method which doesn't use Apple Pay (that goes through them). If you do so and they didn't catch it when testing, your app is removed when they find out.

They keep a part of everything the user pays to your app via their payment method.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This is normal for every Apple's Store publisher out there.

You can't make in-app payments which don't go through Apple's method. It's a violation to their terms otherwise.

10. jt_1258

jt_1258 Stuck

United States
    exactly, so what made epic think they where special besides wanting more money ontop of the mountains they already make

Snintendog likes this.
  11. Chary

Chary Please read the OP
    Senior Editor

United States
    Epic effectively shooting themselves in the foot--now how are kids going to buy pointless gun skins for exorbitant costs?

That being said, it'll be back within a day, I wager. Unless Epic tries to hold their ground.

12. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Mexico
    Oh. Yeah.

Now I saw your edit. I indeed thought you were talking about Apple in your comment.

jt_1258 likes this.
  13. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Madagascar
    Schools will mandate kids to have an IPhone if they need a smartphone, so they couldn't play Fortnite anymore :D

Payne likes this.
  14. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

Japan
    Funny how this crops up now right after Microsoft called Apple out about their shitty policies.

15. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    I'm inclined to dislike Apple more in this situation not because I support Epic but because Apple has been screwing over companies for eternity. That's not even to mention the Xcloud thing

kOtHaBh and Skelletonike like this.
  16. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    It's Apple's shit policies like this that makes developing applications for iDevices a massive pain in the ass. Apple takes 30% of any payment you get with their payment system, so of course anyone in their right mind would want to use some other payment API that doesn't charge so much. But good ol' Apple makes it required to use it if you want to list your app on their store.

Not that Epic needs the money, but other devs are getting fucked by this kind of greedy BS.

17. Chary

Chary Please read the OP
    Senior Editor

United States
    Let alone the Steam thing, where remote play streaming wasn't brought to iOS devices because Apple wanted a percentage of Steam Store sales. Yeah, right. Both Epic and Apple are idiots here, but Apple is being far more pigheaded with their practices.

IncredulousP, Tony_93 and Stealphie like this.
  18. jt_1258

jt_1258 Stuck

United States
    Out of all that stuff with steam streaming I didn't hear that (wanting a cut of steam sales)...hooray for more reasons to hate apple even though I have enough as is

19. diggeloid

diggeloid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think so. This doesn't really change the facts one way or the other, although the anger it creates in the Fortnite-loving public might help a bit.

20. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    Google is just as bad with the Play Store, except it's plagued with malware. Epic kept Fortnite off of there for the longest time because Google also takes a percentage of every transaction. Actually, I don't even know if they decided to publish it on the Play Store or not yet. I just remember reading about this a few months ago.

21. jt_1258

jt_1258 Stuck

United States
    oh they gave in after awhile arlright. all the kiddos likely cound't figure it out since it wasn't as simple as click download and play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epicgames.fortnite

IncredulousP and Snintendog like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [UPDATE], Fortnite, removed