[UPDATE] First images for the Mad Box standalone console released

mad box.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios barely dropped the news that they are working on an independent console to take on the next generation of consoles that the company's CEO, Ian Bell, released the first image renders of the console on Twitter:

It seems like Bell could not hold his excitement to share these designs as images of early design builds were initially expected to be released in four to six weeks' time.

The console, called the Mad Box, is projected to ship in around three years and is being boasted as "most powerful console ever built" with 4K and VR support.

What do you think of those early designs? Some more fine-tuning is required or you'd be happy to own a console that looks like that?

UPDATE

After sharing the first render of the Mad Box, Ian Bell took to Twitter again to share some more possible looks of his company's upcoming console. Which one do you prefer?

:arrow: SOURCE

Espen84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I feel like I'm the only one here who things the design is kind of awesome. Its different, and it sticks out. The current generation of consoles imo just look like plastic boxes, instead of interesting designs. I mean, look at the original PS3 or the Model 1 Sega Genesis. They broke the mold and still ended up looking pretty awesome.
I do agree, I kinda like it. And it's still in development. So my bet is this is just an idea of how it's going to look. And personally I'm kinda excited. I like the ideas of something different than xbox and ps4. And who know, it could be great.. But the price can't be to high if they are going to compete with two juggernauts like Xbox and Playstation

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Let’s not forget the “Boomerang” PS3 controller...
ps3-boomerang-controller.jpg
Only because you won't let us..

Honestly? I'm sick of these upstarts coming out with these designs they pull from left field. It's a sure sign they're going to fail.

D

Deleted User

I'm the kinda person who enjoys RGB and custom consoles and stuff.... You show me a neon console case and I'm sold.

BUT these are just.... random ass colors for the sake of standing out. You'd have to throw a towel over that cus it'll light up the whole fuckin' street.

Those are also some of the laziest console designs I've ever seen. Dear god, it screams Steam Box and that's NOT a good start off.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this thing really is as powerful as they suggest, I can't help but question the cooling potential. I mean... I can see two fans and a bottom vent, but those fans look choked for air.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Imagine if Valve sues them for making it cause of their failed steam boxes/machines (they have to get the money back somehow)
No they don't, Valve has never been strapped for cash. They can try experimental things like Steam Machines and VR hardware precisely because Steam funds it all. And then some.

That said, I don't expect the Mad Box to fare any better in the general market than Steam Machines did. Most people will recognize right away that it's a pre-built PC, and the people looking for a user-friendly console experience like Switch or PS4 will be disappointed in the software side of things. Plus I expect the price to be ridiculous if it really can handle 4K@60FPS.

Last edited by Xzi,

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this console is to be released in three years time how can it claim to be the most powerful ever built. While technology advances in three years time the specs will be so last gen. Even the PS5 or project scarlett will be well ahead with pro versions of there consoles by this is released.

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let’s not forget the “Boomerang” PS3 controller...
ps3-boomerang-controller.jpg
I actually have a knockoff one of these in storage(would photo otherwise) that *might* be made by Pelican, and I swear its the most comfortable Dual Shock-esque controller I've ever used. Just fills the palms perfectly.

Reactions: Zonark

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If this console is to be released in three years time how can it claim to be the most powerful ever built. While technology advances in three years time the specs will be so last gen. Even the PS5 or project scarlett will be well ahead with pro versions of there consoles by this is released.
It depends on the hardware specifics. Being that this is essentially a pre-built gaming PC, a GTX 1070 or above would likely continue to be more powerful than next gen's consoles.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks unnecessarily overdone. Needs to be more simplistic and stylish. No surprise it's just a PC, but if it's not coming out for 3 years, it'll be competing with the next xbox and playstation. Be curious if it'll be customized parts or off-the-shelf parts.

When they talk about creating games, they could try and sell it as an indie box. It'd be the only interesting selling point it could possibly make.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Must be a regional thing.