[UPDATE] First images for the Mad Box standalone console released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jan 4, 2019.

1. zeveroth

zeveroth GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2009
    United States
    TBH, I felt the og ps3 was fugly as s#@t

RedBlueGreen likes this.
  2. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Thats what it looks like, but I still don't think they will want to enter console wars with M$ and Sony with just a PC, I guess inside everything will be more like a console and also hard protected against pirating.

I'm keeping with my old PC from 2011, in the time on Next Gen consoles I will probably wait a bit more and rather make a new PC...

DayVeeBoi and Noctosphere like this.
  3. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N I'm better than you I think

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Honestly, seeing startups like these reminds me of the 5th generation of consoles, where everyone and their mother were trying to get into the industry. Granted, startups today have it a little easier, thanks to most systems using the x86-64 architecture, and with engines like Unity existing, but people still need a reason to go out and buy this. They can't really tout performance, since most performance-minded individuals are probably just going to opt for building a gaming rig from scratch.

Insert comment about modern consoles being basically modified gaming PCs here.

I feel that's already a niche that the Switch is quickly swiping up, and besides, it seems like this system is marketed more towards people who want to run more graphically-intensive games than people who want pick-up-and-play indies. Unless this system grabs some nice exclusives (unlikely, considering I had never heard of this Studio until I read this article), I don't see the system performing particularly well.

4. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    LOL they made Project Cars 1\2 and worked on NFS Shift 1\2 and a few other games, they are not known for many time, but Project Cars probably everyone who like racing games heard of it since it spread to consoles to...

But yeah, its a galaxy far away from M$ or Sony brands...

5. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Last edited by zoogie, Jan 4, 2019
  6. MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ

Apr 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
    Omg looks like a cheap ass pc led case. If I use this next to my chroma led keyboard mouse and mousepad I got a christmas tree.

guily6669 likes this.
  7. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Corp's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    get a load of this gamer gear

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Do we really need more consoles in an already-saturated console market? Wake me up when something unique that other consoles haven't done gets released.

9. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Why the fuck does it look like a cartoon cowboy hat? I'm certain it's just another linux based gaming PC being branded as a console.
    Those still ended up being rectangular though. This thing is way too tall and probably won't fit anywhere but the floor, and I doubt they're gonna put any rubber feet on to prevent scratches.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Jan 4, 2019
  10. Mr. Elementle

Mr. Elementle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    Detroit
    I can almost guarantee that this things is gonna run a modified version of linux, and feature whatever steam games with linux support they can license, and some tech demo games that have cutting edge graphics for 2019, but will be out of date in 2021 when it releases.

Xzi, Memoir and RedBlueGreen like this.
  11. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Microsoft still calls the XBox One a console even after adding keyboard and mouse support. I mean, I know it's still locked down and sells relatively cheap for the hardware inside, but most consoles today are just PCs. It's unsurprising with the whole HD and now 4K race. PCs are king of performance, and there's really no competition on that front. Maybe that'll change with ARMs growth? I doubt it given that (1) it took Intel a long time to ramp up clock rate let along instructions per cycle and (2) you still need an AMD/nVidia GPU.

Xzi likes this.
  12. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    This thing will probably just be running linux so good luck blocking piracy. Even if they make some custom distro that prevents installing from unapproved sources (which I doubt they'll do, they'll probably just slap Ubuntu on it with some custom desktop environment if they even do that) all you'd have to do is install a regular distro, which you'll almost certainly be able to do unless they make a proprietary mobo that doesn't allow new OSes but that would be a ton of work and even then would likely be temporary. Even a Chromebook can be made to install linux, so this thing stands next to no chance against piracy.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    "The most powerful game console" yeah, it's called a PC.

Captain_N, Xzi and Noctosphere like this.
  14. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    ahh lordy jesus in heaven it just looks like a prebuilt. What is their market for this thing? If it isn't a PC, this would look awful in a living room, so it can't compete with a living room console, and it would be lame to put in a bedroom. In a bedroom you'd want a PC, not this nonsense that'll probably run a console-based OS, seeing that it's marketed as a console. It's like the worst of both worlds already

15. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    Is this basically ouya luxury edition?

16. benson733

benson733 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2011
    Canada
    Canada
    It's ugly. I'll stick with PS5 or Xbox 4 XYZ....

17. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    It reminds me of Freezer Bunny from The Sims games.

18. guicrith

guicrith Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    And it comes with this controller:
    [​IMG]

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  19. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Ouya 2.0. Hell yeah!

20. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    OK, if you up and comers want to bask in the glory of being a part of the Fellowship of GabeN's First Church of Latter Day Gamer's Witnesses without forsaking the form factor of a console, here ya' go!

https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-202

I just wish I had gone with this as opposed to the Phanteks Shift for my current build that I plan on salvaging real soon here...

It certainly is unique. Maybe even beautiful...kind of like a snowflake! /s

No, but in all seriousness, the first two models of the Genesis looked cool (the second one is personally my favorite from a design point of view, the only thing that has a right to be as big as the Genesis Model 1 is either the CDX or the JVC X'Eye), but the original PS3's design is just not transport friendly at all and is just an eyesore compared to the sleek and simple PS4. Hell, the gold one I have (that I don't want to sell but may have to for this next college semester) looks like a work from ancient Egypt!