Update Failed. Can't update your console.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by midnight03, Feb 14, 2009.

Feb 14, 2009
  1. midnight03
    OP

Newcomer midnight03 Newbie

United States
    Ok I've searched the net for a solution to my problem and so far I have come across nothing that has helped me. So I thought I'd try to see if anybody has the expertise or skills to fix this....I'll try and explain the exact order of things to help diagnose the problem.

Ok I recently acquired an xbox 360 (used). I played it for a couple days and it worked great, but I wanted it to play backups also. So i took it apart, flashed the Hitachi drive with the ixtreme 1.4 firmware and put it back into the xbox 360. I then played a couple of backup games and everything was working fine. The next day I read online that there's an update to the 360 dashboard, the "NXE" So i hook the 360 to the net. Click on xbox live, it connects and instantly says that there is an update, and asked me if I would like to install it. I clicked on yes, it then downloaded the update (complete bar), it then said installing update (the bar completed), and then the console rebooted. The 360 logo appeared and then it instantly went to a blue screen which says Update Failed. Can't update your console. Contact xbox support blah blah. Then at the bottom of the blue screen it says PV: 2.06717.0 CV: 2.07363.0

Yes I had the 20gb hard drive attached at the time of the update. I tried the hold the "sync" button during boot to clear the cache and updates but no luck. It kept coming up with the exact same blue screen. I tried every game I had, with and without holding the sync button during reset. No luck. So I hooked my Hard drive up to the computer, opened it with xplorer 360 xtreme 2. I deleted all the files from the /Cache folder. I then hooked the hard drive back up the the xbox 360. I then booted the 360. Now the 360 says it cannot detect the hard drive and I need to plug one in. With or without the hard drive inserted the 360 boots to the logo then goes to a blue screen which says cannot find your 360 hard drive.

I'm not a complete noob, but i'm definately not a pro when it comes to xbox 360 modding. If anybody has any reasonable suggestions, I'll try it. I've tried just about everything I can think of with no success.

Thanks, Paul

2. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Does that clear the cache? Because I've always heard you go to memory, select the drive with Y, and hit XX LB RB XX to clear the cache. Does this do the same thing, or something else?

(Sorry I don't know how to fix your problem, good luck)

3. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Try downloading the update off the internet, put it on a USB and then plug that in. It should prompt the update and work fine.

4. midnight03
    OP

Newcomer midnight03 Newbie

United States
    I've downloaded the fall 08 system update from xbox. I put it on a USB drive, a cd, and dvd and tried booting up the 360 with all of them. With and without the sync button held at bootup with still the same error.

Update Failed. Couldnt find your Xbox 360 Hard Drive.

I have the 360 hard drive attached, and a 512mb xbox memory card. I've tried using just the Hard drive during boot, just the memory card, AND Both at once, still same error.

PV: 2.0.6717.0 CV:2.0.7363.0