1. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    this is just too funny on one hand we have a money hungry computer company who would sue those diy tuber repairing apple products no to mention so much security in their newer computers to prevent "unauthorized repairs" and lobby against right to repair laws on the other hand we have a gaming company who loves to sue teens for cheating (rather exploiting a bug) in an irrelavant online tps but if bugs occur in the game store (let's say the games don't register to the account once purchaced) they wouldn't give a damn cause they got your money but if i had to pick a side epic cause they don't pull strings in the government to keep their shady repair er replace for full price practices legit

IncredulousP likes this.
  2. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Fan

France
    They do that in order to "relaunch" the microtransactions craze a little bit, they even sent 20% vbucks to those who bought a little while ago for compensation
    But it's for their own sake, they are still winning. By seeing that they lower the prices, people (and especially kids) will tend to buy again.
    So they are still winning with that move, they just don't want anybody else to profit from that.

Sweeney is blaming Apple and Google for they "duopoly" because they are running the two most popular stores (well ... it's their own OS so no shit) but on the other hand, does kill the Rocket League Linux compatibility, calls for "being united on Windows" or whatever bullshit. He doesn't seem to care about Windows monopoly cuz he just do not know how to profit from Linux yet, but when he will oh boy, he will flip.

Sweeney is just full of hypocrisy. most people seems to be aware of that and that's cool. I wouldn't want a world where he could say whatever bullshit with everyone clapping. At least I don't have the feeling that Apple is even trying to make me feel like they are good ... But whatever they are both shit, good thing I don't have to take any side.

Last edited by LightBeam, Aug 13, 2020
  3. shinwg

shinwg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don’t understand why so many people hate Epic ? They give us free games all the time. They kind have better deal than steam why all the hate ? I’m not fan of epic I don’t play fortnite but I saw epic give lot of good free games

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also F Apple they always charge me taxes the only company that do that I hope they lose

4. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Their tactics are scummy. The fact that this looks like it's intentional doesn't really help, if I'm honest. Sweeney can fall off the face of the earth for all I care.

5. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    How did Apple get "baited" if Epic are the ones who initiated the lawsuit? If anything it's the other way around.

Of course they have something to gain by keeping 100% of the profit from in-app purchases. It's extremely unlikely that any discount they're offering now is going to be permanent.

6. JuanMena

JuanMena Politically Incorrect ♥️

Mexico
    Wait... I'm just reading this on Twatter.
    So... for what I understood it goes like this?

• EPIC does something about micro transactions in Fortnite without telling Apple
    • Apple finds about this and takes Fortnite as a response towards EPIC's violations towards Apple's Policies
    • EPIC law suits Apple for that decision?

7. DbGt

DbGt GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    #FreeFortnite

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/freefortnite

https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-US/fortnite-mega-drop-faq

Last edited by DbGt, Aug 13, 2020
  8. sks316

sks316 Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness remaster activist

United States
    How is it the other way around? Epic knew exactly what they were doing when they published the direct payment feature. You really don't think they typed up an entire legal document and made an entire animation in less than an hour, do you..? This was planned and made specifically to bait Apple into getting involved with a lawsuit.
    According to Polygon and The Verge, it's a permanent price cut.

9. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Fan

France
    It's not only about free games. I also take the free games and I don't really mind the launcher anymore (I mean, it's still shit, but they don't seem to do this "exclusivity contract" bullshit with games that were already announced on Steam) but that doesn't make them less shitty.
    Sometimes they can give cool games but most of the time it's games that you will not play + you already played.
    But even if you play every game they give you, Steam is still better (I mean ... You can have both). I really don't see why would you buy a game on Epic if it's available on Steam. 99% of the time, prices are better on Steam. There are more services, the launcher is more reliable, big picture, Steam Proton (open source contribution from Valve to Linux compatibility), Steam Couch, Voice Chat, Softwares, Achievements, Forums and hubs, Workshops (!!!), Reviews, Cloud Saves (I mean, FUNCTIONING cloud saves), Profile pages, Big Picture, Steam Link, the incredible controller compatibility, and I think i've forgot some ...

So is Epic a better deal ? I'm not so sure about that. Epic deserved a lot of hate because of what I said earlier : the contracts with games that were already announced on Steam (but there was also the spying stuff that were accused of collecting data, like pc specs, wishlists including steam wishlist and stuff, idk what happened with that). Now people do not really have any reason to give a damn.
    Hope you do understand a little bit more why Epic isn't quite appreciated. Steam just proved it's service is a way more consumer-friendly than Epic ever had and may ever have.

10. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i hope neither wins

TheCasualties likes this.
  11. JuanMena

Mexico
    This... so much this.
    That's why I'm so confused.
    Not that I care about Fortnite nor apple, but this seems suspicious.

12. Xzi

United States
    Pretty much sums it up. Epic agreed to the App Store TOS back when they first listed Fortnite on it, they recently changed in-app purchases to bypass the App Store (which violated the TOS), and Apple removed Fortnite from the App Store as a result. Then Epic sued over the removal.

Like I said before, I'm definitely no fan of either corporation, but I'd be very surprised if this lawsuit has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding. The facts are pretty cut and dry.

Last edited by Xzi, Aug 13, 2020
    ChronoTrig and DarknessPlay3r like this.
  13. JuanMena

Mexico
    Yea, me neither. I can't give a fuck about fortnite.
    But again, all of this seems suspicious to me.
    Like... they knew they were violating the "Licence Agreement" before violating it, don't they?

Last edited by JuanMena, Aug 15, 2020
    ChronoTrig and Xzi like this.
  14. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Fan

France
    Also just a little thing : the commission was at 30% and they lowered the price to 20%, so they are winning 10% with this. So saying that they do not profit from this is absolutely false. Now I see on Twitter that companies like Spotify do support Epic in this, which is not surprising considering that if they win, other companies will follow and try to sell microtransactions directly and expecting Apple to also give/sell their app for 0 cost

ChronoTrig likes this.
  15. Xzi

United States
    It certainly appears that way, which leaves them with no legitimacy in their case unless they're arguing that the entire agreement/TOS should be null and void for some obscure, roundabout reason.

ChronoTrig and LightBeam like this.
  16. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Fan

France
    I think they do but maybe they are willing to take the risk, they have a huge ton of money.
    Maybe they are counting on the support of both their players and other companies who will want the same thing ? Even if they violated the ToS they may try to argue about the ToS are unfair to them

17. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Thats ok Apple will just make another useless iphone to regain the money loss....

18. VartioArtel

VartioArtel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Y'know, in any normal court case, this would be screaming Malicious Intent and be a REALLY damning piece of evidence against Epic because of the timing, implications, etc.

Edit: While it on its own does not constitute proof of anything regarding intent, do remember that actions taken after committing a court action can be used to sway the Judge/Jury/Etc that the plaintiff or defendant have less than noble motives, which CAN be used to sway the judge/jury "Hey, they clearly are not doing this for noble reasons, they did it to intentionally stir trouble", for example. See: Akilla vs Akkad.

Last edited by VartioArtel, Aug 13, 2020
  19. JuanMena

Mexico
    Man... I agree fighting the tirany towards big ass companies that sells cancer to people.
    But maybe... maybe... these kind of companies wouldn't be such cancer if their customers didn't support them in the first place.
    Why create such conspiracy to prove a point?

Are they... trying to imply something? Like... if they win, they expect everyone to call them saviours or something like that?
    To me it seems likely, that EPIC want's to be like:
    "Look what they've done to me, they're the bad guys and I'm the good one"

20. Xzi

United States
    Yeah that's true, I didn't even consider that. Besides the legal implications, it's also childish as can be, not to mention an insult to the source material. "Large Corporation A, please save us from the grip of Large Corporation B!" :rolleyes:

TheCasualties likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [UPDATE], Google, Games