1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Do they need to bring anything else? More money for an acceptable delivery of services works well. Also with Valve being basically a monopoly then do a few also rans particularly matter in this? If you aim to be the one to take over the industry (sadly the main thing tech companies seem to go in for) then aim for the top and don't waste your time on the small fry theoretical competitors.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  2. If only you were smart enough to comprehend how bad this is. EGS is a fucking shithole...if anything they'll LOSE audience not GAIN audience. Everybody can agree with me on this statement. Your what I call one of those Epic fanboys. The people who love Epic even though they do shit that not even Valve would do. Valve is a great company while Epic is the worst company to ever exist in the entire existence of the gaming industry.

Oh btw...your basically supporting china's spyware by being on their side. I would stop now before your ass gets hit like a rock. And in case you can't read...they aren't pulling the game off Steam anymore because they were dumbasses.

Last edited May 2, 2019
    Memoir and Shadowfied like this.
  3. ninjafrog658

ninjafrog658 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Look Epic, I appreciate your eagerness to jump into the PC market, but COME THE FUCK ON! This is certainly a hostile takeover if I've ever seen one.

4. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
    Developer

United States
    Terrible example, actually. Recipes cannot be copyrighted, so there's nothing preventing another restaraunt from providing that aside from inadequate chef skills.

Neither do I, but that's not really what's happening here. Buying out != Support. There's an equivalent exchange (the rights for money), not an investment in hopes of getting a return.

Last edited by chaoskagami, May 2, 2019
  5. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    If only they had an acceptable delivery of services.... Have they upped their security, at all? Still waiting for proper 2FA and other security functions.

Last edited by Memoir, May 2, 2019
  6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Wake me up when Epic's storefront has rudimentary features that even Origin has had for years, an actual shopping cart. Yeah, what kind of half-assed storefront doesn't have that, and yes, it is a valid criticism for Epic's store to not have one. Only lazy programmers wouldn't be able to implement a shopping cart :lol:

Deleted_413010 likes this.
  7. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    If it helps to stop crap like that when I spend a small fortune on my copy of Civ V special edition, only to find it was locked to Steam, yeah. How was that any different as opposed to Epic is now doing? I couldn't play the game offline without going online. I spend a few days without playing, oops, lets check your account. Now get your phone and slap this code to log in and play an offline game! Come on, guys... This is nuts. I have the damn game in my HD, I want to play after spending a week working... Please? Log in, kiddo. Verify the account. Games are serious business. I don't want steam or Epic launchers starting automatically.

People just raged before and rage after. Epic becoming a contender marketplace created that, for some reason. Origin, Uplay... Also sparked rage from kids. Gamers are weird. They wanted variety, they got them, they rage.

Epic has money to burn? Great, let them figure out the way to become relevant. Won't disturb me one bit. Whatever games I want, I'll get them.

Also, I have games in almost all storefronts. My ePeen isn't any bigger nor smaller.

Heichart and Jonna like this.
  8. I'm considering signing up to the EGS just for the free games. Nothing else. Not spending a dime.

9. eyeliner

Portugal
    A valid position. Just ike mine. A game free? I want it. :P

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    How many times do people buy many many games at once?

No idea there. For the most part I find 2 factor for most things a solution in search of a problem.

11. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

United States
    Couldn't careless... As long as the good indies like Squad and Post Scriptum are still going full STEAM ahead, I'm happy. To me Epic could even buy Battlefield, COD, Ubilolosoft games and I wouldn't care a single shit since none of them know how to make good games for a damn long time...

Stay away is from the good indies...

12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Okay, I'll bite : exactly who is affected how, and are they really a victim of something other than first world problems?

Let's break it down :

Those already owning the game on steam : not affected
    Those not owning the game yet : affected only if they refrain from buying the game before the end of 2019
    Those too poor to save up for the game before 2020 (windows) : will have to create a new account and install a free epic store account
    Those to poor to save up for the game before 2020 (Linux) : out of luck until epic comes around to support Linux (even if only basic)

Yeah... I feel sorry for that last group as well but come on...if they can't save 20 bucks in half a year then they have other priorities to work on

What's that? Oh .. The principle. Right. Of course. Valves market share is certainly plummeting once their catalog drops from 30,000+ games to 30,000+... Minus one.

Memoir, Silent_Gunner and leon315 like this.
  13. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Good thing I own the switch version

Also, maybe this is a sign the epic games launcher will be brought to linux

14. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    I think they have some faint interest.. But that's because I chose to take an irrelevant tweet out of context. Metro Exodus runs fine on Linux.

15. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I still think it's a step in the right direction regardless. They most likely won't just stop supporting linux. Perhaps this will bring Easy Anti-Cheat to Linux

Memoir likes this.
  16. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I definitely agree it's a first world problem. I'd also argue that it's rather pointless even for Linux users given it's been out a pretty long time (going on four years). Microsoft buying out Bungie had more real effects, but even that didn't last. Long term I imagine Psyonix will leave Epic (or they'll being fully absorbed), which given Psyonix has only one game AFAIK still won't mean much.

Of course, I'm probably biased because I have no interest in Rocket League. I also had very little interest in Halo--gamepad FPSs just suck, IMO--, and it didn't help when I finally got around to playing it how disappointed I was. *shrug* But, to each their own.

17. eyeliner

Portugal
    Does it mean that the game is going to be rewritten? If not, the game will still support Linux.
    Or is there something I'm not seeing?

18. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Epic launcher doesn't support linux.

19. 98otiss

98otiss irrelevant foxcoon

Canada
    upload_2019-5-2_17-21-35.png
    Funny how epic games is successful after fortnite and then decide to make a launcher. There's already so much launchers out there anyways. Why bring it over to Epic Games anyways? You are losing the workshop, trading card system, reviews, cloud saves, achievements, and many other good steam features. How can you trust a launcher that collects data from steam? Epic is just stealing games from valve and making them epic exclusive. It is not fair to steam users. This is like the console war but for pc. pc master race my ass.

20. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    On Steam, MAYBE. Epic is entirely up in the air.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - availability, statement, [UPDATE]