Hacking Update emuNAND through game card?

pontum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I currently have sysNAND on 4.3.0-6E, which is not supported by Ninjhax. I have made an emuNAND which is also 4.30-6E. I want to update my emuNAND using a copy of Super Smash Bros. 4, however, every time I launch the game through emuNAND, there is no update prompt, and it launches the game, which just ends up crashing. Is there a way for me to update just the emuNAND using a game card?

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I currently have sysNAND on 4.3.0-6E, which is not supported by Ninjhax. I have made an emuNAND which is also 4.30-6E. I want to update my emuNAND using a copy of Super Smash Bros. 4, however, every time I launch the game through emuNAND, there is no update prompt, and it launches the game, which just ends up crashing. Is there a way for me to update just the emuNAND using a game card?

The safest way to update emunand is through system settings.

In all cases you should not update in classic mode, only GW/MT mode.
Do not update by entering eshop and using the prompt that displays when you enter.
Do not update from a rom/game cart.

Alternative methods:
- Install devmenu/bbm, then use UpdateCDN to get the .cia updates.. (This requires owning a GW or a MT-card)
Here's How: https://gbatemp.net/posts/5375095
If you have a gateway, you can use the latest system menu safely (9.5.0-23)
BUT, If you have an MT-Card, update to 9.4.0 because the multirom menu breaks after that

- Using a second 3ds and download play to send the update that is on a cartridge (I've only heard of this, I don't know if it works)

If you're using the MT launcher and classic mode as emunand, get PBT cfw and install the browser .cia to your sysnand

pontum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The safest way to update emunand is through system settings.

In all cases you should not update in classic mode, only GW/MT mode.
Do not update by entering eshop and using the prompt that displays when you enter.
Do not update from a rom/game cart.

Alternative methods:
- Install devmenu/bbm, then use UpdateCDN to get the .cia updates.. (This requires owning a GW or a MT-card)
Here's How: https://gbatemp.net/posts/5375095
If you have a gateway, you can use the latest system menu safely (9.5.0-23)
BUT, If you have an MT-Card, update to 9.4.0 because the multirom menu breaks after that

- Using a second 3ds and download play to send the update that is on a cartridge (I've only heard of this, I don't know if it works)

If you're using the MT launcher and classic mode as emunand, get PBT cfw and install the browser .cia to your sysnand

I can't update using System Settings because Ninjhax doesn't work past 9.2.

I don't have a GW or MT card, so I can only use classic mode. The tutorials I followed said that's it's safe to update in classic mode, as long as you make sure that it is emuNAND, not sysNAND.

The only way for me to use devmenu is through Palantines CFW. Main problem is that it can take several tries to boot, and even if it does boot, it might freeze shortly after opening an app. So I want to avoid installing the update on CFW. Unless it's possible to boot it like a normal emuNAND without the CFW features in order to make the booting more reliable.

Regarding PBT CFW, will it work using the GW launcher? Or only the MT launcher. How do I obtain just the browser.CIA? Also, how safe is it updating to a browser version that's a lot higher?

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't update using System Settings because Ninjhax doesn't work past 9.2.

I don't have a GW or MT card, so I can only use classic mode. The tutorials I followed said that's it's safe to update in classic mode, as long as you make sure that it is emuNAND, not sysNAND.

The only way for me to use devmenu is through Palantines CFW. Main problem is that it can take several tries to boot, and even if it does boot, it might freeze shortly after opening an app. So I want to avoid installing the update on CFW. Unless it's possible to boot it like a normal emuNAND without the CFW features in order to make the booting more reliable.

Regarding PBT CFW, will it work using the GW launcher? Or only the MT launcher. How do I obtain just the browser.CIA? Also, how safe is it updating to a browser version that's a lot higher?

The Solution for you is to use UpdateCDN to download the browser .cia.
The title id for the EUR browser is: 0004003000009D02 and the version for 4.0-4.5 is v2050 (according to the guy who released PBT-cfw, the last browser before the exploit was patched also works -- v4096)
Follow These instructions to install the cfw:
Things You'll Need:
Part 2: Setting up 4.5 CFW
  1. Now, copy everything from the SD Card folder in Palantine CFW onto the SD card. Delete the launcher.dat, and rename the launcher_gw.dat to launcher.dat
  2. Copy the boot.bin from PBT-CFW and OVERWRITE the one included with palantine CFW
  3. Insert the SD card into the console and boot up. It will create software management information. Take the SD card out again and open it on your computer.
  4. Now, in your SD card, there should be a Nintendo 3DS folder. Open it, and open the folder inside that. There should be another, so open that too. You should see a exdata folder.
  5. Make a new folder (not inside the exdata folder, but in the same directory as it) called “dbs”. Go into the folder and make a blank text file, named “title.db” or “import.db”. Doesn’t matter which. (if these already exist, skip this step and the next one)
  6. Insert the SD back into the system and go into Settings —> Data Management —> Software. It’ll ask to reset your software management information, so allow it to do so.
  7. Now, go into Other —> Profile. Hold down the L button, and tap DS Profile. If all goes well, the bottom screen will flash white and the CFW will load. If not, simply reboot the system by holding down power and trying again. Make sure to hold L while you do it.
  8. Now, once you’ve gotten into CFW, you’ll need your 3DS’ IP Address. You can use the tool you downloaded earlier (the network scanner) to find the devices from Nintendo. Note the IP (usually looks like 192.168.1.1xx)
  9. Edit the run.bat file in the Palantine CIA folder. Replace the DevMenu_2x.cia part with the name of your CIA, and the IPTOMODIFY with your IP.
  10. Code:
    installcia IPTOMODIFY 1 DevMenu_2x.cia
  11. Code:
    installcia 192.168.1.155 1 DevMenu_2x.cia
  12. Now execute run.bat by double clicking it. It should return a result-code of 0.
    • If you get a failed to connect, make sure the IP is correct and the 3DS is connected to the Internet.
    • If there’s another return code, try steps 8 and onward again.

Once you have devmenu installed use it to install the browser .cia that you got with updateCDN

once you're done you can put the launcher.dat from MT-Card back on your SD and continue to use your emunand
use sysnand for cubic ninja because that's where the browser you installed is, not in MT's classic mode

Reactions: pontum

pontum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Solution for you is to use UpdateCDN to download the browser .cia.
The title id for the EUR browser is: 0004003000009D02 and the version for 4.0-4.5 is v2050 (according to the guy who released PBT-cfw, the last browser before the exploit was patched also works -- v4096)
Follow These instructions to install the cfw:

Once you have devmenu installed use it to install the browser .cia that you got with updateCDN

once you're done you can put the launcher.dat from MT-Card back on your SD and continue to use your emunand
use sysnand for cubic ninja because that's where the browser you installed is, not in MT's classic mode

Followed your instructions and got it to work. Thank you very much, this is much better than the solution I was after.

Reactions: LameNobody

bbmax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
im updating EmuNAND with game card
boot to sysnand run rxTools switch to emunand pop on the game from card and start updating to 9.2 (game is Cooking mama- bon apetit)

Reactions: pontum

pontum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
boot to sysnand run rxTools switch to emunand pop on the game from card and start updating to 9.2 (game is Cooking mama- bon apetit)

That works too. Thanks. Though I don't have a copy of Cooking Mama, so I will have to stick to 8.1 emuNAND.

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

That works too. Thanks. Though I don't have a copy of Cooking Mama, so I will have to stick to 8.1 emuNAND.

As far as i know gamecard updates don't include the browser... unless that changed recently

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best way is to update emunand via rom (SSB 9.2 for US, Cooking Mama 9.2 for EU), and install the browser you want as .cia after.

pontum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as i know gamecard updates don't include the browser... unless that changed recently

I haven't checked if Ninjhax works yet, but I did successfully update the emuNAND using Super Smash Bros. Though I guess you would be right about the browser. The game card updates install x.x.x-6, while Ninjhax requires at least x.x.x-7.

If I were to install a higher version of the browser (say, 9.2.0-20E) to sysNAND via PBT CFW, create a new emuNAND, then update that emuNAND using rxTools and a game card, would it then work? Or will the game card update overwrite the browser version.

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't checked if Ninjhax works yet, but I did successfully update the emuNAND using Super Smash Bros. Though I guess you would be right about the browser. The game card updates install x.x.x-6, while Ninjhax requires at least x.x.x-7.

If I were to install a higher version of the browser (say, 9.2.0-20E) to sysNAND via PBT CFW, create a new emuNAND, then update that emuNAND using rxTools and a game card, would it then work? Or will the game card update overwrite the browser version.

That would work, but if you go that route just keep your current emunand... you can use cubic ninja from sysnand

But yes, you could just re-format your emunand to have the browser there too

pontum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That would work, but if you go that route just keep your current emunand... you can use cubic ninja from sysnand

I guess I'll just stick with what I have now. I want 9.2 emuNAND for custom themes, so there's not much point in 8.1 emuNAND. I'll wait until I get a copy of Cooking Mama.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1