Hacking Update .CIA games? (QUESTION)

NoWeeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I wanted to ask another very noobs question. If you download a .CIA and it says there's an update, can you download the update from the eShop or do you have to download a .cia version of the update

Reactions: trsoares
D

Deleted User

The updates are seperate titles, so as long as you aren't updating your firmware it should be fine.

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I updated my legit cia titles as well as download updates for other legit cias I havent installed yet. Just in case

trsoares

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So we do not need to download Those .cia archives updates ?

eg, Like the v1.1 Smash Bros we find on the iso site ...

Just install the game and updates it trough "auto-update"?

KaleoOmega

I just don't know what to do with myself...
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Did that yesterday with Triforce Heroes: installed the game as a .cia file on my 2DS' 10.3 Emunand, then downloaded the 2.1 update from the eShop; the game is running fine, even online, etc.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, I wanted to ask another very noobs question. If you download a .CIA and it says there's an update, can you download the update from the eShop or do you have to download a .cia version of the update
If the update is for a CIA game that is from the same region of your system or if it's a "universal" title like Pokémon it'll work.
Trying to update a game from a foreign region (even if the game received region free patch) it'll fail to access the update on Nintendo servers so you'll have to manually obtain the CIA file for the update and install it through FBI, BBM, devmenu or similar apps, that's one of the reasons to host these as CIA files.
Other reason is that if you enter the actual eShop to download the updates it'll remove illegal downloads but updating from home menu directly seems to not affect them.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if the region is the same, you can download from the eshop. however, at least for smash bros, i've seen a few people, myself included, who couldn't use smash dlc in cia form without also removing all eshop update files for smash and using the cia for the latest update instead

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the update is for a CIA game that is from the same region of your system or if it's a "universal" title like Pokémon it'll work.
Trying to update a game from a foreign region (even if the game received region free patch) it'll fail to access the update on Nintendo servers so you'll have to manually obtain the CIA file for the update and install it through FBI, BBM, devmenu or similar apps, that's one of the reasons to host these as CIA files.
Other reason is that if you enter the actual eShop to download the updates it'll remove illegal downloads but updating from home menu directly seems to not affect them.
i heard that you cant ever update region patcjed games at all even with a cia
it must be true becauase i have tried multiple times to update my MK7 and SSB CIA's and the update cia finishes installing but the games still says to update
so i assume the cia's i installed were out of my region originally and are region fixed then?
what else would cause the update to not be applied? cia game install and cia update, and nothing happens, still prompts for an update

Svaethier

Trophies
Website
s6.zetaboards.com
XP
Country
United States
it must be true becauase i have tried multiple times to update my MK7 and SSB CIA's and the update cia finishes installing but the games still says to update
so i assume the cia's i installed were out of my region originally and are region fixed then?
what else would cause the update to not be applied? cia game install and cia update, and nothing happens, still prompts for an update
did you make sure the update .cia file matched the region of the game region file?

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

did you make sure the update .cia file matched the region of the game region file?
This, the update you downloaded must match the region from where the title comes from. If you downloaded a Euro version of MK7 and SBB you must download the updates from European versions. That's why uploaders on "that ISO site" list the original region from a region free patched game.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This, the update you downloaded must match the region from where the title comes from. If you downloaded a Euro version of MK7 and SBB you must download the updates from European versions. That's why uploaders on "that ISO site" list the original region from a region free patched game.
yeah but you cant do that because if you say download and install a EU cia of SSB that has been region fixed for your US console
you cant install a EU cia update to US console
and i don't think that updates can even be region free patched, maybe they can be but i have never seen any of "that ISO site"
i never seen a EU game update cia that fixed for region free
or anything along those lines, so i guess i am stuck and will have to delete the titles now

moopas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings,

I too had a small question regarding this very topic. I read through many things first, so I didn't ask a baseless question, but couldn't seem to find a straight answer. Let me start off by saying that I understand you can update installed cia games through the eshop, you can download the update cia packages and install them, you can use a retail cart with rxtools to install the updates and still play via the retail carts with the updates/dlc etc. But heres my question:

To update cia games via the cia installation method, must I install the updates chronologically? Like update 1.1 first, then 2.0, then 2.2, etc.? Or may I simply install the most recent version, and that will include all of the updates from previous versions in one go. I'm just used to the eshop method, and I do not know if the method it uses simply installs updates chornologically, or if it just uses the latest, and since the cia package method would be me manually installing, I wish to know what I should do.

TLDR: Install update cia files chronologically? (1.1, 2.0, 2.1 etc.), or just most recent? (only 2.1 would include all previous updates?)

Reactions: test84

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.