[UPDATE] Amazon is restricting sales of used first-party Nintendo games and products

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 1, 2019.

1. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Wouldn't that be straight out piracy?

banjo2 and Ryccardo like this.
  2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    @Xzi , I had no idea either, but now that cart makes sense for me. I even called Nintendo about it, because I was trying to redeem coins. they gave me the coins anyway. though, it had already been past the 1 year mark, but I guess incorrect region supersedes the coin deadline. it actually said that the account wasn't the right region to redeem the coins. I'm going to start selling my 17-20 retail games soon, and I hope that that game doesn't cause me problems when going to resell it. iirc, the poi I got was shrink wrapped too like it was new.

Xzi likes this.
  3. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's a grey area, unclear whether sellers are profiting from the ROM itself or from the hardware which houses it. Nintendo doesn't seem to go after any of the people selling reproductions on eBay, though, and there are a number of businesses/individuals who specialize in that.

4. vice350z

vice350z Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2019
    United States
    Apparently it was a mistake. I'm new so i can't posts links but The Verge has a story on it. An email sent "by mistake"

5. Important Posts UPDATE
    OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I don't see it.

The closest you would get to things like that are those "sale of weed is illegal in this state, but this club you can join for free has $8 cans of fizzy pop" but those are not really analogous to anything here.

This however... out and out paid for piracy. You tend not to be able to erase the carts or do much of anything with them save for play the game so there is not even the tissue thin (in this case) like additional debugging, general homebrew or "substantial non infringing uses" that emulators, flash carts and mod chips can often go with.

7. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Weird, @Chary , they changed course. 24 hours after, they just went "oops, our bad" and reinstated all the listings. thanks for the heads up OrGoN3.

what tomfoolery is this, amazon?

8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm definitely happy, 'cause I've gotta sell my games at some point. it would be horrible to have wasted that much money on retail games when I have their digital counterparts.

9. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I figure it doesn't really matter to Nintendo because they see the same $0 whether people buy original carts used, play ROMs on an emulator, or buy reproduction carts. It'd be a very different scenario if they were still manufacturing old games in a physical format themselves, but again, it's often the case that original carts can be hard/impossible to find. Especially at a reasonable price.

Last edited by Xzi, Nov 1, 2019
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Conflating second hand reselling with piracy is bad form. Don't encourage people to more readily make the comparison. Not to mention they themselves have suggested people go on the second hand market at times.

Similarly they are often still selling those titles in essentially the same form on virtual consoles and emulator packs, not that copyright cares much.

Ammako likes this.
  11. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I'm not conflating them myself, just saying that it's all the same from Nintendo's perspective. It certainly doesn't HAVE to be that way, they could make massive profits from limited re-releases of physical games every 15-20 years, but I digress.

Sure, and there's always stuff like SNES Classic, but it's just not the same as having original hardware/physical cartridges. All but one or two of my carts are originals, but expecting me to spend upward of $100 on certain individual SNES games is rather unreasonable.

Last edited by Xzi, Nov 1, 2019
  12. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
  13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I don't know how hard spinning up such things would be, and I don't know if we have seen any other devs that still own their copyrights do this sort of thing (and we have seen some release emulator hardware of sorts) or if they have then it seems to have failed to set the world on fire. Similarly I am sure Nintendo would argue that scarcity is a selling factor for their new offerings and direct competition to it. You stand in front of a judge and say "it does not feel the same" and you would be laughed at.

Ammako likes this.
  14. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I wonder why Amazon goofed like that?

15. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's the thing: Nintendo isn't arguing this case, and nobody is front of a judge. If anything, they'd go after the people selling reproduction cartridges, not the people buying them, and they haven't done that. It's not as if this is even remotely a new practice, either. I remember seeing reproductions on eBay as far back as 10 or 15 years ago.

For whatever reason, it just doesn't draw Ninty's ire like digital ROM distribution does. If I had to guess, it's because they know the people buying repros have already bought the hardware, so it builds/reinforces brand loyalty all the same. Just speculation though.

Last edited by Xzi, Nov 2, 2019
  16. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2015
    United States
    It could also be a matter of scale. I suspect that the number of people downloading ROMs is several orders of magnitude higher than the number of people buying high-quality reproduction cartridges.

Ammako and Xzi like this.
  17. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    How do you send out an email like that and claim its a mistake?

Ammako likes this.
  18. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    “accidentally” sends out an email prohibiting the sale of Nintendo games. Coincidentally Nintendo listings were “mistakenly” removed.

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's entirely a matter of scale, legally there's no grey area - it's resale of illegally produced pirate copies of software, in every sense of the word. Selling a reproduction cartridge is no different than selling a bootleg CD - they're both illegal. Unless the cartridge is sold blank and the user flashes the information onto it themselves in their own time, it's most certainly making profit off of illegal software. Thing is, Nintendo has bigger fish to fry as far as piracy is concerned - reproductions pale in comparison to flashcarts or other assorted mods.

20. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    Even if this was actually a mistake, the fact that it was so plausible says a lot about the current state of Nintendo's attitude towards anything that vaguely resembles real competition.