Hacking Update 5.50 GEN-D2 PSP-1002 to 6.60 CFW

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
These 'newer games' is there a list of games by firmware version etc I could check out to see if there's any titles that might need a higher firmware ver?
I read the softmod guide and it looks like all I'd need is the file from here http://filetrip.net/psp-downloads/firmware-related/download-6-60-pr0-c2-f31566.html plus the official 6.60 updater (can anyone confirm if the md5 should be 2ca64d59dcf48f45fb99b400a586b395 ?)

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These 'newer games' is there a list of games by firmware version etc I could check out to see if there's any titles that might need a higher firmware ver?
I read the softmod guide and it looks like all I'd need is the file from here http://filetrip.net/psp-downloads/firmware-related/download-6-60-pr0-c2-f31566.html plus the official 6.60 updater (can anyone confirm if the md5 should be 2ca64d59dcf48f45fb99b400a586b395 ?)

I cant think of a list and dont worry bricking a psp is pretty hard to do and if it does happen you can fix it with what I linked above

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Had to change my update.txt to get it to run the official 6.60 updater (was set to 9.90 by the old custom FW) but everything else went smoothly. Thanks again.

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I have 6.60 ME 1.8 on my PSP slim and everything works like a charm....except RE2 :(

Can't remember why i put the ME version, but i recall something about better HomeBrew compatibility...

EDIT: found this, also found that the latest ver is 2.2:

Minimal Edition, neur0n's closed source custom firmware. It was written entirely from scratch, and comes in permanent (cIPL) and temporary forms. From neur0n's PSP Stuff.
Unique Features
  • Support for some legacy 1.50 homebrew using Dark ALeX's LEDA plugin.
  • Adds a built in Speed up MS access function, which improves performance when reading from the Memory Stick. Faster than Dark AleX's 3.71 Fatmsmod.
EDIT2:
also read here, because ME is permanent CFW, it's for older slims and psp phat:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/PSP/ME_CFW

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
For future reference, just use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher for downgrading to 5.00 OFW for anybody that reads this thread. It's safe, easy, and is a lot less work than dealing with MMS and Pandora batteries and such. There are also other downgraders available depending on the firmware. Even for 6.61, there is a downgrader that can drop you directly to a convenient OFW like 6.20 or 6.60. I believe it took me maybe ten minutes to turn my PSP GO from 6.61 OFW to 6.20 permanent CFW.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't need to use a pandora or anything funky I just ran the official 6.60 update and then the 6.60 pro CFW (md5 I posted earlier was correct too)

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't need to use a pandora or anything funky I just ran the official 6.60 update and then the 6.60 pro CFW (md5 I posted earlier was correct too)
That was suuuuuper risky while on old school CFW. It sets the system version to be read as 9.x or whatever version specifically to keep people from officially updating as to avoid bricking on any level (soft brick or hard brick). I'm actually surprised that it worked, to be honest. The last person on this forum that tried that bricked their PSP.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That was suuuuuper risky while on old school CFW. It sets the system version to be read as 9.x or whatever version specifically to keep people from officially updating as to avoid bricking on any level (soft brick or hard brick). I'm actually surprised that it worked, to be honest. The last person on this forum that tried that bricked their PSP.
God Dammit. That's exactly why I posted here in the first place cause I assumed it was dangerous. What would have been the safe way to get back on OFW?

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
God Dammit. That's exactly why I posted here in the first place cause I assumed it was dangerous. What would have been the safe way to get back on OFW?

install OFW of the current CFW. Then update OFW to version you want to install a CFW of, Then you can safely install the new CFW without any worries of bricking.

Although having a homemade pandora battery works best if you cut a small slit in the line I can't remember which line needs to be cut for the battery to be turned into a pandora battery you can fill in the space you cut with a led no.2 pencil and keep it as a normal/pandora battery that is what I did.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Like I said, using Hellcat's Recovery Flasher is the safest and easiest way to downgrade from a 5.x CFW to 5.00 OFW which is then easily and safely upgraded to the OFW of your choosing. It requires no extra hardware, and iirc, it's signed homebrew so it can be run on even an OFW semi-bricked console provided games can be launched without crashing back to XMB. When on OFW on any level, there are other downgraders that can be used if you find a preferable CFW that requires a lower OFW (like I prefer 6.20 simply because I'm the most familiar with this level and the PSX compatibility associated with it).

Don't listen to everybody saying Pandora this and MMS that. That is an old school method that has long been outdone by simpler and easier homebrew methods. The Pandora and MMS is the last resort for a bricked console provided the version of the system supports it (so basically 1k models and early 2k models).

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm. I just read what Xenon Hacks said and went for it, as I said all I had to do was change the text file that read 9.90 (set it to 5.50) and the 5.50 GEN-D2 firmware got overwritten with the 6.60 OFW without incident. Maybe I just got lucky :D

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmm. I just read what Xenon Hacks said and went for it, as I said all I had to do was change the text file that read 9.90 (set it to 5.50) and the 5.50 GEN-D2 firmware got overwritten with the 6.60 OFW without incident. Maybe I just got lucky :D

Actually you didn't get lucky not trying to put you down don't take it like that, all you did was get rid of the FW spoofing and told your PSP it is actually running FW 5.50 instead of Spoofing FW 9.90, it actually took me a little while to figure this part out myself when I was restoring a psp-2002 that I had bricked by adding a prx plugin to the flash.. Bad Idea never try that ever

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So is C (fix 3) newer than C2 ? or is it completely made by another group? Would I be risking anything running the C (fix 3) installer over the top of my C2 install? I wouldn't mind restoring the ability to play PSN titles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup