[UPDATE 2] Calling all Tempers: Help Chary and Family!

Capture.JPG

Today we have setup a GoFundMe page for our beloved reporter @Chary.

Krista and her family have lost their entire home and all worldly possessions in the floods caused by Hurricane Harvey.

Please help us to help them by donating on the following page, any amount will help!

:arrow:Donate on GoFundMe
:arrow:Donate via Paypal to [email protected] and we'll match it on GoFundMe

:arrow:Houston Red Cross

[-UPDATE 2-]
Chary and her family have now received the cash from the fundraiser in full. Thanks again to everyone who donated and helped out!

[-UPDATE-]

After 2 weeks 82 donations have helped to raise £2022 (roughly $2670) to help Chary and her family to rebuild their lives.

A massive thanks to all of the following tempers who donated, and those of you who wished to remain anonymous:

@CreeperdivoHomebrewer
@BlackWizzard17
@Montgomery Von Goochums
@Becky McAndrew
[USER=31]@shaunj66

@thomas Hugh
@DinohScene
@Yudowat
@Disse
@Foxi4
@linuxares
@Bubsy Bobcat
@Depravo
@bjaxx87
@Mário Liberato
@RayD97 Dean
@eric Cobb
@Shadowfied
@sandra Hughes
@Majin Cubyan
[USER=290925]@frogboy

@nEx Y
@exangel
@Rebekah Davenport
@XxShalevElimelechxX
@mohammed Al Rashedi
@SuzieJoe Bob
@andre Trek
@lilaznkilla
@Aneki S
@Bu2d85
@Munchlax Brunchlax
[USER=30028]@Julio
Lizardo
@Eris
@Catsinabucket
@sarkwalvein
@drazenm
@xfxmrl
@Lia
@GamerzHell9137
@x65943
@Elrinth
@BowlOfSpiders
@jerbear64
@cearp
@VinsCool
@Minox
@Roify
@Apathetic_Discord
@Deathwing Zero
@Dennis L
@GearCross
@Joshua F
@draxoon
@Issac
@B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N
@Yu Lu
@Gallito
@misterion
@8BitWonder
@deakphreak
@Armadillo
@matpower
@H.F.H Peeters
@Taleweaver
@p1ngpong
@anon nano
@Alephas Enum
@DarkFlare69
@Todderbert
@HaloEliteLegend
@nastydsi
@ian Mc
[USER=317601]@mbcrazed

@elias Jackson
@6 x anonymous

Also a massive thanks to everyone who has streamed to help this fund.

You are what makes GBAtemp such an amazing community to be a part of!

Now, as for GoFundMe, they have still not released the funds to Chary, despite saying they would, over 10 days ago. The excuse is their engineers need time to convert the raised amount to dollars, and their payment processing team are trying their best to get it done. To me this sounds absurd, but here we are, 14 days since the fund started, waiting for the cash to be paid out in this emergency situation.[/USER][/USER][/USER][/USER]

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow Houston didn't warn about it? Then again, how the heck could that massive city even prepare their infrastructor for that amount of rain.

@Chary hows the situation at the moment? Are you guys alright?
There's zero hotels open. I can't get anywhere. Lost my reservation cuz I couldn't get there in time. The roads were clear up north and then it started raining big time again. They had to close the shelter because Houston govt wouldn't confirm it as a shelter-in-place. They were going to take us to the George R Brown, but we'd have to give up our pets to Barc and leave them. And I didn't want to do that. Sitting outside under an awning. I'm looking st the front of my house, and there's trash everywhere washed up. Water levels went down at my house, but the door is slick shut with mud and water inside. I could break a window but I'd rather not go inside that mess. I want to just rest somewhere. I have a place to go, I just need to get there...but all roads are closed.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Wow Houston didn't warn about it? Then again, how the heck could that massive city even prepare their infrastructor for that amount of rain.
I think only a handful of cities had mandatory evacuations, but meteorologists were already predicting that it'd become a category 4 storm before it hit land. There's not much anyone can do about that regardless.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
@linuxares we were warned for about 2 inches water inside at most. Or, if the news was to be trusted, that it'd miss my side of town. But we were told to stand in and not evacuate...which has lead to people dying and being stuck.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There's zero hotels open. I can't get anywhere. Lost my reservation cuz I couldn't get there in time. The roads were clear up north and then it started raining big time again. They had to close the shelter because Houston govt wouldn't confirm it as a shelter-in-place. They were going to take us to the George R Brown, but we'd have to give up our pets to Barc and leave them. And I didn't want to do that. Sitting outside under an awning. I'm looking st the front of my house, and there's trash everywhere washed up. Water levels went down at my house, but the door is slick shut with mud and water inside. I could break a window but I'd rather not go inside that mess. I want to just rest somewhere. I have a place to go, I just need to get there...but all roads are closed.
Sounds rought! Is it possible to walk there somehow? I'm not saying it's easy since I don't know how it looks at you right now. Are you alone or are you with your family?

Is their anyone in the Houstion Area you know that might have a huge car that could go through water?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I think only a handful of cities had mandatory evacuations, but meteorologists were already predicting that it'd become a category 4 storm before it hit land. There's not much anyone can do about that regardless.
When the wolf getting nearer then it's usually a good idea to be prepared in the event of an emergency exit. I've stopped caring about video games and sold my somewhat bigish collection because when shit gets out of control I'd just have to leave it behind anyway.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Be careful, the weather up here predicted another 5in of rain heading your way. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but it's worth keeping an eye on.
Please keep us posted.

TesseractStorm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wishing I had the funds to donate. Will see what I can manage next payday.

For those who brought up evacuation orders, not only was there none this time, but back in 2005 when Hurricane Rita was coming toward Houston, they did issue an evacuation order. Over 100 people died in the multi-day long traffic jam that resulted. Hindsight is always 20/20. It's not so easy to determine the best course of action in advance of something like this.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry to hear about this. my neighborhood recently flooded (http://www.pressconnects.com/story/...stal-50-people-evacuated-overnight/503876001/) luckily my home did not but being awoken at 2am after just getting to sleep by a screaming fireman was not a pleasant experience. My neighbors down the lower end of the road did get it bad though, the entire home was covered, across the street they had about 6 feet of water in their back yard.

best advice i can give you is if this happened once, it will happen again so make a proper choice after this event. it might be X # of years later but beware and use this lesson and move on. since you survived, you will make it, thats for sure :)

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Update: had to give my dog to BARC, which is a good animal rescue team, as a big truck was willing to drive us to the shelter. But no pets allowed. I'll have to collect my dog after this is all over, hopefully in a day or two...

Sad to see my puppy go, but he's probably in safer hands than anyone else. Next step is to get somewhere to stay after this shelter (there's gonna be thousands there...)...I really don't like going without him. Don't see why pets are so unallowed...

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Update: had to give my dog to BARC, which is a good animal rescue team, as a big truck was willing to drive us to the shelter. But no pets allowed. I'll have to collect my dog after this is all over, hopefully in a day or two...

Sad to see my puppy go, but he's probably in safer hands than anyone else. Next step is to get somewhere to stay after this shelter (there's gonna be thousands there...)...I really don't like going without him. Don't see why pets are so unallowed...
Some owners don't take the proper measures to make sure their pets are vaccinated and all that so they're taking the measures needed as such.

Reactions: Chary

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

don't worry chary, soon you will see your pets again

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I never really interacted with you Chary but it's really sad that one of community is in trouble, of course, sad for all involved by this weather.
I just made a little donation (via paypal, thanks Shaun) - and seeing DeadlyFoez's offer, that is so kind.

If people want to help you out but they don't have $, maybe if someone has like an old 3ds lying around to send you when you have somewhere more permanent to stay, that would be cool.

I hope you see your dog again soon!

S

Saiyan Lusitano

If people want to help you out but they don't have $, maybe if someone has like an old 3ds lying around to send you when you have somewhere more permanent to stay, that would be cool.
Probably wiser to pawn it and then send w/e money made of that to Char.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
soon as my paycheck/money kicks in you're in my thoughts @Chary and you get help from me promise.

keep safe beautiful and remember your GBAtemp family is with you at all times.

and don't let your charmander fire go out in this dark time for you. :)

Last edited by Flame,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wish I could donate, but all I have in terms of disposable income I can access freely (as in do online transactions with since my parents manage my bank account) is about a dollar in bitcoin. If you want that dollar, I can give it to you if you have a bitcoin address.

Reactions: Chary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse