Hacking Update 10.4 and Homebrew: What you need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I would switch to reinand and update to 10.4 via system settings. Of course, I don't know if it'll work straight to 10.4, it might, I'm not sure. Maybe someone with some insight could tell us. I would use the Sysupdater Cia to install 10.3 via update pack, then system settings update to 10.4. That's what I did, and it works, so just some extra safety, really.

Is there any reason why you couldn't use the sysupdater cia to install 10.4 via update pack? It seems to me that it would be safer (as long as you remove sysupdater/safesysupdater from the 3ds folder first and only install the cia to emunand).

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn,this is shitty...
Might sound obvious,but can I still use the save data manager/editor if I have ootHax? For a physical version of ORAS or X/Y editing I mean?
Once you have HBL loaded, you can eject ocarina of time (or cubic ninja, or any other game that has the save exploit). Once HBL is loaded it is no longer running off of the game cart, but rather the SD card. So if that was your worry then you will be able to take out oot once HBL loads, allowing you to put in another cart for save data manager/editor.

Reactions: Arubaro

madmax2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
where are ppl getting the 10.4 update file from?

do u update via the system settings in emunand?

mathew87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can any body please help me I am trying to get oot3dhax on 10.4 I have updated my payloads I think but when I do it through power saves I cant find the save image for N3DS_E_23554_9221.bin can any one please help can any one go through a step by step guide to do this I am also new to this site thank you in advanced

can some one please help me or not

Incolbum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason why you couldn't use the sysupdater cia to install 10.4 via update pack? It seems to me that it would be safer (as long as you remove sysupdater/safesysupdater from the 3ds folder first and only install the cia to emunand).
At the time, it was still new and I couldn't find it online.

LarBob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use oot3dhax installer it lets you use the 10.4 payload
https://github.com/phase/oot3dhax_installer/releases
Yes... IF you still have access to HBL. They stated they are trying to use a save dongle, which in my mind made me assume they probably don't have access to HBL to run the installer.
So if they DO have access to HBL, they should just run the installer that comes with the starter kit, and select the proper firmware.
If the DON'T, they will probably have to build the save themselves using the appropriate payload, and then transfer that using the save dongle.

LarBob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes... IF you still have access to HBL. They stated they are trying to use a save dongle, which in my mind made me assume they probably don't have access to HBL to run the installer.
So if they DO have access to HBL, they should just run the installer that comes with the starter kit, and select the proper firmware.
If the DON'T, they will probably have to build the save themselves using the appropriate payload, and then transfer that using the save dongle.
Exactly. I was just stating it's possible for anyone who found this thread

katrain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had wireless on while I was out today for streetpass and forgot to turn off wireless before I came home today.. When I got home, I had the update nag. I don't really want to update emunand to 10.4 since Nintendo is getting sneakier and sneakier. I had tubehax DNS set but the update still downloaded? My Wii U also has the tubehax DNS but 5.5.1 still downloaded on that, too. Fortunately, I got rid of the nag (I believe) but I don't want to keep getting it. What can I do? I have the DNS as posted on smea's site.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had wireless on while I was out today for streetpass and forgot to turn off wireless before I came home today.. When I got home, I had the update nag. I don't really want to update emunand to 10.4 since Nintendo is getting sneakier and sneakier. I had tubehax DNS set but the update still downloaded? My Wii U also has the tubehax DNS but 5.5.1 still downloaded on that, too. Fortunately, I got rid of the nag (I believe) but I don't want to keep getting it. What can I do? I have the DNS as posted on smea's site.
I'd say just backup your emuNAND before updating. That way if you don't like 10.4 you can simply inject your backup back into the emuNAND, effectively downgrading it back to before you updated. Also when you update, always update from the system settings of the emuNAND.
As for blocking updates, if tubehax DNS didn't block it, I wouldn't know why.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
When
I'd say just backup your emuNAND before updating. That way if you don't like 10.4 you can simply inject your backup back into the emuNAND, effectively downgrading it back to before you updated. Also when you update, always update from the system settings of the emuNAND.
As for blocking updates, if tubehax DNS didn't block it, I wouldn't know why.

Is there any reason why updating the emunand from the system settings is safer/better than just using sysupdater cia? It seems to me that sysupdater would be safer or at least easier to be sure you are on emunand rather than sysnand.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When

Is there any reason why updating the emunand from the system settings is safer/better than just using sysupdater cia? It seems to me that sysupdater would be safer or at least easier to be sure you are on emunand rather than sysnand.
It's fairly easy to tell if you are on emuNAND when updating from system settings because they have a special marker on the firmware version that indicates you are in emuNAND. I've also never been a fan of using sysUpdater when I didn't have to. The system settings update works perfectly, so why go through all the trouble of downloading the system update on your computer and transferring it over.
It's not that hard to not accidentally update the sysNAND. Plus like I said earlier, once you are in system settings it basically tells you that you are in emuNAND, which you can verify right before updating. As for sysUpdater, once it's open you really can't tell which one it's on if you have it installed to both NANDs.
IMO sysUpdater just adds additional steps that don't need to be done because they are pretty pointless.

madmax2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's fairly easy to tell if you are on emuNAND when updating from system settings because they have a special marker on the firmware version that indicates you are in emuNAND. I've also never been a fan of using sysUpdater when I didn't have to. The system settings update works perfectly, so why go through all the trouble of downloading the system update on your computer and transferring it over.
It's not that hard to not accidentally update the sysNAND. Plus like I said earlier, once you are in system settings it basically tells you that you are in emuNAND, which you can verify right before updating. As for sysUpdater, once it's open you really can't tell which one it's on if you have it installed to both NANDs.
IMO sysUpdater just adds additional steps that don't need to be done because they are pretty pointless.

All you have to do is remove sysUpdate from sysNand if u got it installed there.
Then you know you are always on emuNand, if u can access sysUpdate from home menu.

I think some people don't trust the update from nintendo system settings, concern it might download extra stuff.
Also some like to keep a copy of the 10.4 update...

I am still waiting for someone to upload it.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you have to do is remove sysUpdate from sysNand if u got it installed there.
Then you know you are always on emuNand, if u can access sysUpdate from home menu.

I think some people don't trust the update from nintendo system settings, concern it might download extra stuff.

Couldn't you just use 3DNUS?
I don't know much about 3DNUS though, so I could be horribly wrong about that.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

Not if you use Cakes CFW (which is what I am using).

Yeah, and since I don't have any cias installed to sysnand that means just removing safesysupdater from the 3ds folder.

Last edited by nl255,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, after reading this thread, this update sounds awful. Feels so damn good being part of the 9.2 master race!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Push it :creep: